• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

DashMasternodeTool - development continuation [Pre-Proposal]

Continue full-time (paid) development?

• Total voters

Bertrand256

*EDIT*
Due to the slightly overloaded Dash budget this month, I decided to postpone submitting my proposal somewhat.

About me

I've been working on DashMasternodeTool app development for about a year. For the first half of the year I worked on it voluntarily, and from October 2017, thanks to the funding from the Dash budget, I'm working on this project in an exclusive mode.

Link to my proposal from Oct 2017: https://www.dashcentral.org/p/dash-masternode-tool-development-boost

Features that I've implemented during that time:
  • support for Ledger Nano S
  • support for Trezor T
  • improvements in the Payment window
  • improvements in the Proposals window
  • encryption of the app's config file
  • switching between different config files
  • support for Dash Testnet
  • extending of the mn status by the queue position, balance
  • hw initialization & recovery wizards
  • preparing custom firmwares supporting dash testnet + creating a wizard dedicated to perform an easy installation of firmware in hardware wallets
  • supporting multiple hw devices of the same type (Trezor, KeepKey) connected to the app at the same time
  • prepared and made public the additional RPC nodes for MAINNET and TESTNET
  • significantly improved the documentation
  • many other smaller improvements and fixes

The latest versin of DMT (https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/...ternode-with-trezor.13748/page-10#post-182892), which was released a few days ago, is at the same time the completion of work as part of my proposal, so it's time to decide what to do next.

Here are two possibilities:
1. Switch back to the volunteer/maintenance mode.
2. Continue full-time work on functionalities that the community (or I) will consider important.

Below are suggestions from me and other users about what can be done in Option 2:
  • Changing the view in the main window of the app in order to see a full list of masternodes, which will allow the user to perform actions on multiple masternodes at once.
  • Retrieving additional important information regarding masternodes such as the current block number (fork detection), free server RAM, disk space, etc.
  • Security/privacy features, such as: supporting configurations with collateral controlled by paper wallets, configurations with a collateral controlled by hardware wallets kept in an isolated place (bunker? :)). DMT would allow the preparation of transaction (payment/start mn) to be signed offline and broadcasted online.
  • Expanding the capabilities of the proposal window with functions related to commenting on proposals.
  • Security of funds: the ability to assign a specific hwardware wallet to each masternode (there are users with separate device for each masternode)
  • Security of funds: the possibility of using different passphrases for each masternode.
  • Wizard for a quick and easy installation & configuration of a masternode; the steps will be automated but the user will get a full record of what's happening on the server for educational purposes.
  • And of course, preparing the application for the upcoming v12.3 and the changes related to Evo.
It definately requires a lot of work, so I'm going to poll the community about what it is interested in and in what order.

Budget:
a) my salary: 8.8k/month
b) documentation translation and proofreading: 600$/month

Overall: 9.4k USD = 22.5 Dash/month + proposal fee reimbursement
Months: 4

A little explanation why a) is 10% higher than the amount from my first proposal: since October 2017, USD has devalued almost 10% against the currency that I pay for my bills, which btw for me is quite shocking.

I will be grateful for your opinions whether it is worth continuing work on the development of the application or whether the current state is satisfactory.

Last edited:
@Bertrand256 this proposal is a definitely YES for many I would say. Keep delivering...
The new features sound great too.

DMT is an excellent tool, you've been great at developing and supporting it, and I would definitely vote yes to additional continuation

You do good work, easy "yes" vote for sure, but I'd recommend waiting until next cycle. This month's budget is probably the most crammed we've had in recent months.

This proposal is a no-brainer. Please add another 10-15% to your proposal budget when you submit - we don't want you worrying about the currency fluctuations. Consider it a raise or a bonus to cover your volunteer work.

@Arthyron This is exactly the kind of situation I have been warning you about.

You are telling a guy who is actually doing something useful to come back next month while you are support burning money on swann and feedbands..

There is no room to pay Bertrand who is providing invaluable infrastructure but there is money to waste on dumb advertising.

You are not helping by nicely telling proposal owners to go somewhere else.

The budgetary situation this month is complex and not merely the result of funding proposals you don't like, @Argon31 , but the result of a number of factors beyond the control of MNOs just as much as it is the choice to fund some projects and not others. I'm absolutely helping proposal owners by telling them to wait because I don't want them to risk 5 Dash if they can afford to wait until next cycle. I'll ask you again, what is your stake in Dash?

Thank you guys for all your comments, that for me are an encouragement to proceed.
@Arthyron I agree with you and I was seriously considering to wait until the next cycle. BTW, the whole thing with the number of proposals is a bit uncomfortable for me because I do not like competing, especially for funds, and so far I did not actually have to do it. However, I realized that this is probably the emerging Dash snowball effect - effect of the spreading awareness and the benefits of the Dash DAO gevernance and probably it is a situation that will become the norm, so if I want to continue with my involvement, I have to accept this state and those small inconveniences.

@Nuancer , fluctuation 10-15% is not a big problem, but I very appreciate your suggestion. 50% (nagative) fluctuation would be worse, but I'm a bit prepared for that too.

I realize that every new proposal made now, causes a slight nervousness, but as I said, it seems to become the norm, which I wish to DASH. A bigger problem would be too few proposals, which would be difficult to choose something sensible. It would mean that the idea is dying, however, looking now at the current proposals, I have the impression that I was watching a coral reef with all its diversity :)

Thank you guys for all your comments, that for me are an encouragement to proceed.
@Arthyron I agree with you and I was seriously considering to wait until the next cycle. BTW, the whole thing with the number of proposals is a bit uncomfortable for me because I do not like competing, especially for funds, and so far I did not actually have to do it. However, I realized that this is probably the emerging Dash snowball effect - effect of the spreading awareness and the benefits of the Dash DAO gevernance and probably it is a situation that will become the norm, so if I want to continue with my involvement, I have to accept this state and those small inconveniences.

It's a function not only of high-value proposals carrying over from previous months, but also the proposals setting their asking prices at the lowest point in Dash price of the year which also means the lowest price of proposal fees which means more proposal owners willing to risk the fees, etc. It's a perfect storm of budgetary expenditure. Generally, though, the earlier in the cycle you put in your bid, the better your chances, for what it's worth. I have no doubt you'll be able to get your proposal passed and funding next cycle, and to be clear, this isn't the only month I've ever given this suggestion, I often have to toward the end of the month as more and more pre-proposals show up and the budget starts to fill up, this month is just an exceptionally tough one.

@Bertrand256 This discussion is a theatre of the absurd.

You should put your proposal in this cycle and it should pass. It will be a crying shame if your proposal is rejected and ben swann gets 800 to waste.
It will be a crying shame if dash force news and feedbands gets passed but we cant the spare 22.5 dash for you.

There is no reason why wasted money on feedbands, ben swann should get priority over you.

Please do not listen to the "advice" from people like @Arthyron . They are damaging the network by asking developers to wait and giving excuses to hand over our money to zero roi proposals.

The treasury meant for people like you. Support for trezor is very important.

Please post your proposal. It is very important work.

I agree with @Argon31 , there is room for @Bertrand256 's proposal in this month's cycle. Last time his proposal was one of the most popular proposals ever. It will pass easily and we can't afford to delay progress or add additional uncertainty to key infrastructure projects.

Don't mind @Argon31, he's not even a Masternode Owner, no real stake in the network, just likes to troll proposal owners and dispute popular votes. My cautioning to wait for the next budget cycle is simply that, caution, wouldn't want you to be overlooked this late in this tight of a budget cycle if you can afford to avoid it.

Don't mind @Argon31, he's not even a Masternode Owner, no real stake in the network, just likes to troll proposal owners and dispute popular votes. My cautioning to wait for the next budget cycle is simply that, caution, wouldn't want you to be overlooked this late in this tight of a budget cycle if you can afford to avoid it.

That's absurd, saying you have to be a Masternode owner to have a "real stake" in the network. Many people, including myself, are Dash stakeholders with smaller investments that are still significant to us. This includes the majority of the Dash Core Team and Dash Force that are not Masternode owners but are risking their careers on Dash. Other stakeholders include consumers that want to use Dash as the best form of payment on the planet.

That's absurd, saying you have to be a Masternode owner to have a "real stake" in the network. Many people, including myself, are Dash stakeholders with smaller investments that are still significant to us. This includes the majority of the Dash Core Team and Dash Force that are not Masternode owners but are risking their careers on Dash. Other stakeholders include consumers that want to use Dash as the best form of payment on the planet.

The claims that Argon31 is not a MNO and has no real stake in the network are separate claims, not the same one. Clearly there are many people in the community like @thedesertlynx that are not MNOs but are both highly involved with and dependent upon the Dash ecosystem. The point was that he is not a genuine participant in the Dash Community, but just a troll that showed up a few weeks ago to troll the forum and has not participated in the community in any other way. He's not a MNO, not a proposal owner, not an active participant across multiple platforms, etc. He just sits on the forum making self-centering post after post complaining about the budget. Coming to his defense is exactly what he wants. See his most recent post begging proposal owners to turn to other platforms besides Dash, as if it wasn't already obvious what his true purpose here was from the beginning...

@Arthyron Only the people you like or are supposed to have a say. Anyone who doesnt agree with you or has less dash is a troll?

@thedesertlynx is operating like a lobbyist. He is trying to get a 12 month proposal for 2600 dash passed because anypay is in the same city as him.
The corrupt "Force Dash Gang" is behind this and that is an open secret. (They also get to escrow btw)

You told a developer asking for 22.5 to lend support to trezor to come back next month because ben swann needs the money.
How ludicrous is that?

I don't think this proposal is urgent (as in, there is no reason why it *must* be proposed this cycle). And yes, it would easily pass next cycle. But, if he were to propose it this cycle, I would still vote for it and prioritize it to help it to pass.

Back