• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Cloud Storage

jpr

I'm wondering which Cloud storage would darkcoiners recommend.
Personally I keep my files on home NAS server but would like to have an additional backup.
I was thinking about spideroak as they have linux support and are encrypting the files.
What you guys using?

mega. I'm a big fan of Kim Dotcom, he was a part of the internet party and Reset the net.
It was june 5th 2014 everyone was to help encrypt half the internet.

I'm quite conventional. I use Dropbox and Drive a lot because I have many shared folders with people that only know one or the other. When in need of having really sensitive information I usually encrypt them in a TrueCrypt container and the upload that to Dropbox/Drive. Recently there was some news about the developers of TrueCryp saying that there are vulnerabilities and disappearing (they were anonymous), but there are no details and there is no perfect alternative yet (some efforts in place to continue development by other people).

I'm quite conventional. I use Dropbox and Drive a lot because I have many shared folders with people that only know one or the other. When in need of having really sensitive information I usually encrypt them in a TrueCrypt container and the upload that to Dropbox/Drive. Recently there was some news about the developers of TrueCryp saying that there are vulnerabilities and disappearing (they were anonymous), but there are no details and there is no perfect alternative yet (some efforts in place to continue development by other people).

http://storageservers.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/sting-proves-that-dropbox-spies-on-its-user-data/

I heard about dropbox spying and that means no more dropbox for me anymore. Maybe I'm overreacting but that shit should never happened.

http://storageservers.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/sting-proves-that-dropbox-spies-on-its-user-data/

I heard about dropbox spying and that means no more dropbox for me anymore. Maybe I'm overreacting but that shit should never happened.
I think that is something intrinsic to all cloud platforms, including gmail. I trust none of them, but for not so sensitive information they are enough for me. To Dropbox or Google their reputation is much more valuable than anything I upload.

I've looked a couple of times into OwnCloud (self hosted alternative), but I don't want to maintain a local server for this. And if I do it at a VPS then it kinda defeats the purpose.

Last I heard, google was in the process of encrypting their entire local networks in the hopes of stopping big brother. I'd probably go with Drive.

Back