• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-Proposal: Dash ATM and Merchant Adoption in the Salon Industry

Would you vote for this proposal?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No, but I would if... (please post below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phenix Plano

I own a salon suite rental business. I want to get all of my renters to accept Dash and pay rent in Dash.

A low-fee Dash ATM will be put in my high traffic retail space with over 30 merchants that already use tablets as their POS gateway.

This proposal will allow customers to exchange fiat for Dash and pay merchants in Dash. I will accept rent in Dash, so the merchants will not need to leave the Dash ecosystem.

There are clear monthly goals so Masternodes can verify diligent use of funds.

Introduction

My name is Charles Smith. I am a small business owner and local business investor from Dallas, Texas in the United States. I’m also a Dash investor. I want to thank the Dash community for considering this proposal. Along with some partners, I own and operate a Phenix Salon Suites franchise in Plano, Texas. We have been open since 2012. Our location reaches over 100,000 people a year from many different backgrounds. Over 30 licensed Salon Professionals run a business in our suites. We have barbers, stylists, nail technicians, masseuses and skin care professionals all running their own businesses in private suites rented out by the week.

In this industry, 80-90% of the transactions are done through the Square app or equivalent. We do not even have a credit card machine at our location! Ten years ago the salon suite model was not nearly as popular because of the expense and complexity of having a point-of-sale system. While Square makes the payment process better, they still charge significant fees that all of my renters notice. Dash is the perfect solution for them! It is an upgrade in every way!

I want to bring Dash to my renters so that they can have more revenue and a better chance to succeed. As a believer in Dash I want to incentivize and create a full ecosystem where customers can exchange cash for Dash, Salon Professionals can easily get paid in Dash, and be able to pay their weekly rent to me in Dash at a discount.

The Phenix Salon Suites franchise has over 150 locations across the United States. This is a pilot idea that can be easily scaled into the many locations that already exist. They also hold a conference where Salon Professionals and owners from across the country meet once a year. Just to be clear, I own one of the many franchise locations.

Hi3oZLn.jpg

The Proposal

One of the most common concerns about Dash and the proposal system is that not enough real businesses are accepting Dash. This proposal is designed to do just that: get real businesses accepting and using Dash consistently.

We want to create a full Dash ecosystem within our location over 3 months. Customers can exchange fiat for Dash, pay for their haircut or other service in Dash, and our Salon Professionals can use that Dash to pay their weekly rent. To facilitate this ecosystem, I plan to offer discounts for using Dash which in turn will cause the Salon Professionals to talk to their clients about using it. This program will create both merchant and consumer adoption.

Month 1

A Dash-branded fiat gateway (General Bytes ATM) in its own private, secure Dash-branded suite will be installed for customers to exchange cash for Dash. It will be open during our normal business hours (8am-5pm). Our suites are perfect for hosting a Dash ATM. They allow for private placement of the ATM in its own small room while still having visibility from the outside at all times. We have multiple cameras in the hallways leading to the suite, and will add one inside. The fees for exchanging to Dash will be as low as possible. There may be some exchange fees but the idea here is to incentivize Dash purchases by making them as inexpensive as possible. A receptionist is on site 5-6 days a week to make sure the suite stays in order. There will be a lot of curiosity about it from the Salon Professionals and we will let them know about education and incentives launching in month 3. We will start the run of "Dash Accepted Here" stickers this month to give to anyone who wants one at this time.

9Umg1xj.png

Month 2

Finish out of the fiat gateway suite will be completed. The walls will be hand-painted with Dash-themed murals. Furnishings, window stickers, and security features will be added. The sink will be removed. Once the suite is ready, it will be licensed for one year at a discounted rate of $10,000 for the year (usually $10,950). There will also be promotional materials (brochures, paper wallets, stickers, buttons) available in the suite for customers to learn how to buy Dash through apps, etc. Window stickers with QR codes to download a Dash wallet will be put right on the window visible from the common area. There will be quarterly reports of ATM purchases of Dash as well as a summary of how Dash has changed the way our Salon Professionals do business. After one year I will submit a proposal so the Dash community can decide if they want to renew the rental license for the suite.

I61cn0P.png

Month 3

We will launch an education and promotion initiative at our location. "Dash Accepted Here" signs for windows, custom QR code stickers, Dash T Shirts and towels, physical (for fun) Dash tokens, and physical paper wallets will be offered to all of our Salon Professionals to give away to their customers. We will have a Dash Day where anyone can come to learn about Dash from a Dash ambassador and receive $10 in Dash that they can then use as a discount on their haircut if they pay in Dash. Participating Salon Professionals will offer 50% off on Dash Day if the customer pays using Dash. Information about participating merchants will be posted at Discoverdash.com

Incentives

We will incentivize adoption of the Dash ecosystem in a few ways.

First, there is a real incentive built in because Square already takes a huge fee from all of their transactions! This is the most important point we will emphasize to them. Merchants can send and spend money so cheaply with Dash it really is a revolution! The Salon Professionals in our location already use tablets and apps as their payment gateways, so the jump to Dash will not be difficult.

Second, I will offer a $5 discount on their weekly rent if they pay me in Dash. With a Dash fiat gateway in a suite down the hall, they will just have to walk down there and exchange to Dash to be able to get a discount. If all of my renters use this offer it will cost $6,240 a year in lost revenue that we will not be asking reimbursement for, so this is a significant commitment. I want to demonstrate that we are committed to helping this proposal succeed as well. Dash is the only cryptocurrency I will accept for rental payments.

Third, I will give $100 of Dash to each of the Salon Professionals that install a Dash wallet and put a "Dash Accepted Here" or equivalent sticker on their window or door (up to $3000). I will encourage them to give it away to their customers to get them using it.

Proposal Summary

Month 1: Physical Dash fiat gateway purchased and securely installed. Buzz about Dash generated in the salon.

Month 2: Suite completed, Dash branding of suite and furnishings installed, preparation for Dash Day in month 3 begins. Discounted suite rental license paid.

Month 3: Education initiative. Branding and marketing push. Dash Day.

All of this will be incentivized by our business accepting rent in Dash and giving a discount for paying using Dash. In addition to the discounted suite rental rate, we will also be providing cleaning services and security for the suite for the duration.

Benefits for Dash
  • Fiat Gateway in a location that already has great potential for adoption built in

• Dash presence at an established brick-and-mortar center with diverse physical traffic

• Over 30 potential local merchants in one location

• Low fee physical fiat gateway

• 3 months of budget for a year of promotion

• 100,000+ views of Dash branding in a physical location

• Organic use and promotion of Dash by registered Salon Professionals

• Template for expansion once program is proven

• Renewable rental license

• Discount on rental license
Benefits for my Business

There are some great benefits to my own business that come from this program and I’d like to share them. These are the reasons I want to integrate Dash into my business.
  • My renters will be able to make more money by eliminating the Square fees - making it easier for them to pay rent to me

• Renters can send their rent instantly instead of by check

• More traffic from the people coming to buy Dash

• Ability to rent to the unbanked, although this is not usually an issue here

• My salon will get a suite rented out to a prepaid customer
Reporting

Quarterly reports will be given during the year that include how much Dash was transacted at the ATM and how many people transacted.

Six months after our education initiative, we will have a video report featuring Salon Professionals with testimonial about how Dash has impacted their business.

Breakdown of Costs

Fiat Gateway (ATM) - $11,000 ($9,499 + shipping + tax)

Suite Lease - $10,000

Security and ATM Installation - $5,000

KYC/AML Compliance - $3,500

Dash Giveaways - $3,500

Finish out of Suite - $3,000

Dash Day Supplies and Advertising - $1,500

Stickers, T-Shirts, Promotional Materials - $1,500

Education and Training/Dash Ambassador - $1,000

ATM Branding - $1,000

Video Production - $500

SubTotal - $41,500

10% Volatility Allowance - $4150

Total - $45,650

Total Dash - 140 @ 325 $/Dash + 5 Dash Proposal Fee = 145 Dash

48 Dash/month for 3 months

Any unspent Dash will be used for ATM balance
(vending Dash from your own wallet is a requirement for certain Money Transmitter regulation compliance)

Last edited:
Greetings from Guayana Venezuela. Great proposal and very good initiative. I have a suggestion to create an organic ecosystem, considered the way in which Dash Caracas / Venezuela under the direction of @algodon.franelas has achieved it. You could offer the public a "give-away", in meetings or discussions where you would also explain how Dash works, since many people do not know, this would help to show the process in action.

Once people have and know Dash in your locality you can start with the "Merchant" program. I give the example of Dash Merchant Venezuela, you could contact them to exchange ideas and make your project much more solid for the community. Also, in Dash Guayana Venezuela, a project of which I am a part, we are organizing events like the ones I mentioned and we offer ourselves for any help you need.

I wish you much success and I hope that my suggestion is useful for you.

Here is a picture of the outside of our suites.
TB8XgGv.jpg

This is a picture of the suite the ATM will be in.
JvvXdKc.jpg

I am having someone work on some concept art for the branding of the suite and the machine at this time. Please let me know any suggestions you might have!

Hello Charles, how are you? I've just read your proposal and I like it a lot, I think you have a great chance to promote Dash in your location and to obtain a good benefit from it as well. Also I admire your attitude and your desire to make this project succeed, that is what we need in the Dash community.

Regarding your proposal I just have one remark and it's about the give-aways. I know you are trying to motivate those who rent your suites to use Dash and indeed I think they have plenty of reasons to do so, but I see you're trying to give them several monetary incentives such as the $100 bonus for installing the Dash wallet or the $5 discount on the weekly rent which could not be the best option, since the main reason for which they must use Dash is because of the ease of payment and low fees, which is already a benefit for them; I think if you give so many incentives, they will always expect you to do so in the future for every thing they do related to Dash but you will not do it forever, that couldn't be sustainable. I would recommend you to lower the $100 bonus or to shorten the time span for which you will offer the $5 discount in order to make it more sustainable. Anyway, I really like your proposal and I wish you the biggest success on it!

If there is any point in which I can be helpful, don't hesitate to contact me. Also I'm working in the same project than @CarlosTrujillo so you're totally welcome to see our work, have a good day.

Hello Charles, how are you? I've just read your proposal and I like it a lot, I think you have a great chance to promote Dash in your location and to obtain a good benefit from it as well. Also I admire your attitude and your desire to make this project succeed, that is what we need in the Dash community.

Regarding your proposal I just have one remark and it's about the give-aways. I know you are trying to motivate those who rent your suites to use Dash and indeed I think they have plenty of reasons to do so, but I see you're trying to give them several monetary incentives such as the $100 bonus for installing the Dash wallet or the $5 discount on the weekly rent which could not be the best option, since the main reason for which they must use Dash is because of the ease of payment and low fees, which is already a benefit for them; I think if you give so many incentives, they will always expect you to do so in the future for every thing they do related to Dash but you will not do it forever, that couldn't be sustainable. I would recommend you to lower the $100 bonus or to shorten the time span for which you will offer the $5 discount in order to make it more sustainable. Anyway, I really like your proposal and I wish you the biggest success on it!

If there is any point in which I can be helpful, don't hesitate to contact me. Also I'm working in the same project than @CarlosTrujillo so you're totally welcome to see our work, have a good day.

Thank you so much for your feedback Jesús! It is true that there are plenty of reasons to use Dash without needing discounts. My objective at first is to give so many benefits for using Dash that they have to try it. The hardest part is getting someone to use it the first time. I do agree that I should put a time cap on the discount so they are aware that it will not last forever. Thank you for your suggestions and Dash on!

Thank you so much for your feedback Jesús! It is true that there are plenty of reasons to use Dash without needing discounts. My objective at first is to give so many benefits for using Dash that they have to try it. The hardest part is getting someone to use it the first time. I do agree that I should put a time cap on the discount so they are aware that it will not last forever. Thank you for your suggestions and Dash on!

I get it, you're totally right and it's great that you're making such a big effort. I wish you the best and here we are to support you!

I have modified the proposal and would love some feedback from any MNOs. I've also added a poll at the top so please vote or let me know anything that is making you say "NO".

Thank you for your consideration.

Changes that have been made:
1. Eliminate Management Fee
2. Monthly Goals for Transparency and Accountability
3. Add Summary at Top
4. Clarify that any leftover Dash will be used as ATM balance

Any further recommendations are appreciated.

Back