• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-proposal: Dash Membership in the Digital Chamber of Commerce

Would you vote for this proposal?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

gerundo

I propose Dash should apply for an industry membership in the Digital Chamber of Commerce. Membership in the Chamber of Digital Commerce brings the agenda of Dash at the forefront of access to policymakers and industry leaders, and effectively gives Dash a voice in the blockchain lobby. Membership in The Digital Chamber of Commerce brings the benefit of profiting from the Chamber’s efforts in the United States Congress, as well as state legislative and regulatory efforts. The Chamber supports improvements in blockchain initiatives such as privacy, security, smart contracts, consumer protections, and financial access. I have no connection to the Digital Chamber of Commerce but propose this measure as one of several that will give Dash influence needed to become and stay a key player in the cryptocurrency world.
($10,000 USD charged annually for ambassador membership = 16.26 Dash)

There are a lot of staunch decentralization/anti-government people in cryptocurrency, so that might be a hard sell even if we can easily afford it. Some might see it as "selling out" on fundamental principles of what Dash was trying to do from the start, especially when you see what other organizations are involved in the DCoC.

The other obstacle I foresee is just exactly how Dash would enter in to the membership, as a DAO via our new legal status, would Core enter in to it on our behalf? Etc.

So to be clear, are you intending to put this up as a formal pre-proposal to the DAO for which you ultimately intend to submit a full proposal to make this happen, or are you just interested in seeing what the rest of the Dash network thinks about this as a suggestion?

There are a lot of staunch decentralization/anti-government people in cryptocurrency, so that might be a hard sell even if we can easily afford it. Some might see it as "selling out" on fundamental principles of what Dash was trying to do from the start, especially when you see what other organizations are involved in the DCoC.

The other obstacle I foresee is just exactly how Dash would enter in to the membership, as a DAO via our new legal status, would Core enter in to it on our behalf? Etc.

So to be clear, are you intending to put this up as a formal pre-proposal to the DAO for which you ultimately intend to submit a full proposal to make this happen, or are you just interested in seeing what the rest of the Dash network thinks about this as a suggestion?
Dash Core is the organization that we would sign up in the industry category. Thank you for your comment about the decentralization/antigovernment.. how can Dash interact with that world without 'selling out'? What are actions we could take that create a happy medium?

I would vote for this but we would first have to see if Core would be open to something like this. If not we could still create another company owned by the DAO that could fill that role. Of course, then we would need other people willing to do this.

Dash Core is the organization that we would sign up in the industry category. Thank you for your comment about the decentralization/antigovernment.. how can Dash interact with that world without 'selling out'? What are actions we could take that create a happy medium?

That's a tough nut to crack. I think ultimately it would come down to how many Masternode Owners are open to these sorts of affiliations. If there could be a clear set of benefits associated with membership that would mitigate everything but the die-hard philosophical objections, I think most MNOs--even those on the fence--would probably agree to it simply because of the pragmatic benefits. I also noticed that you posted the other pre-proposal regarding lobbying. I'd heard that such a pre-proposal was in the works and am personally excited to see what kinds of possibilities that creates, but I'll save that for the other thread.

Ultimately, there are some MNOs that are probably never going to be satisfied with participation in government, but for the rest--which I suspect is the majority--it comes down to pragmatics. If the benefits outweigh the detriments, and these are clearly and concisely articulated and the budget to accomplish it is reasonable, it shouldn't be too much of an obstacle.

To that end, maybe you could go over some of the general benefits to the Dash network for being affiliated with this organization, because most MNOs are not business/legal/regulatory experts and probably wouldn't implicitly know much about it.

Back