• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Develop an alternative to CoinMarketCap, but with more features, and Dash as the sole sponsor.

Would you vote Yes to fund a Dash branded alternative to CoinMarketCap for $5k x 6 months?

• Yes.

• No, because _____________________

• Maybe, tell me about ____________________.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solarguy

Overview:

I would like to develop an alternative to CoinMarketCap, but with far more features, charts, a crypto news aggregator, an arbitrage alert system, and more. Dash would be the exclusive sponsor and would have prominent permanent banner ads, etc. I have the skills to do this and already have a functional page here: https://www.metavs.net/

The proposed cost is $5,000 per month for 6 months for a total cost of $30,000.

Details:

My original proposal was posted on the dashpay subreddit and I was told by one of the mods (Solarguy) to post a pre-proposal here. - subreddit post

I suggest quickly skimming the subreddit post for context, the original terms of the proposal have changed and it will be useful to understand/read how the latest proposal came to be. I will summarize the current proposal here:

Dash would become the exclusive sponsor, receiving a permanent banner ad on MetaVS in exchange for $5,000/month for 6 months to complete the following features (and, I am actively seeking feedback on additional features that the Dash community would want) :

Add new/missing cryptocurrencies

Automate adding new ICO's/Tokens

Create a spam protected form/filter to allow ICO's/teams to add coins/tokens

Create a better filter for reddit posts, images, and videos.

Education page listing how-to's or getting started videos created by well known crypto content creators

TL;DR/Bullet point system to summarize a cryptocurrencie's purpose - Will need to display multiple sources to prevent biased posts.

Incorporate market data from many/all exchanges to produce the most accurate composite data possible.

Currency converter - Fiat -> crypto, crypto -> crypto ( including rates from different exchanges )

Display active price of each currency across all exchanges to monitor/view arbitrage opportunities

Monitor volumes of coins being traded/purchased to quickly identify new moves/trends

Portfolio with ability to parse CSV's from every exchange Date/Price checker

Enter specific date and time to see the exact price of a coin/token at that time

List of coin faucet/POS rewards for each coin/token

In short I am looking to build a "one stop shop" of cryptocurrency education, news, analytics, and data. I am currently a full time web developer looking to shift 100% of my focus onto this project as soon as possible. The MVP listed above was developed over the span of a week during my spare time.

As recommended, I would prefer to use an escrow service (likely GreenCandle) including measurable/verifiable milestones. This adds three big advantages. 1. It protects the Dash community and virtually guarantees getting a delivered finished product. 2. It gives me the assurance that I can jump in and totally devote myself to getting this project up and running without worrying about losing funding halfway through. 3. And it protects both parties from wild swings in the value of Dash. If it goes way up, the excess value stays with GreenCandle and could get used for other projects or for additional development of our website, all based on what the community wants. If it goes way down (Yes, very unlikely....) I can still finish the project and not starve to death.

You may gather from the initial conversation on the DashPay subreddit that I was willing to give Dash permanent and exclusive rights to the banner ad (forever) in return for just providing the funding to develop this website. Solarguy encouraged me to think about longer term revenue models so the website can scale well in the long term and have new features, needed maintenance, etc. Feel free to suggest methods to accomplish this so that everybody wins in the long run.

Note that if you click on the big red "Advertise" button on the web page, that information is now obsolete. It was originally designed with the idea that it would take several sponsors to get this done. I now believe that is not true and hope that Dash will be the exclusive sponsor.

I can't tell you how excited I am to quit working for other people, and completely devote myself to something that makes a difference in the world, and in the Dash ecosystem.

ICJR

P.S. just to be clear, this pre-proposal is from ICJR, but I made the first post while he got signed up and so on. He'll be along to monitor the conversation and answer questions.

solarguy

Last edited:
please add a morono filter also

and a column that shows the coinprice for an assumed total coin quantity of 1 million coins

Last edited:
Hello Dash Community,

My name is Israel Casillas JR ( ICJR ) I am the founder/developer of the MetaVS MVP, I am also a fulltime web developer with both backend and responsive frontend design/development experience.

While purchasing/trading cryptocurrencies I noticed a lack of tools to make trade decisions. Services like coinmarketcap exist but do not provide in depth information to inform the community of pump in dumps, price arbitrage opportunities etc. I quickly threw together the MVP over the course of a week and realized I had something once I began sharing with reddit, and close friends. I am building MetaVS to become the "one stop shop" of cryptocurrency education, news, analytics, and data. Something that far exceeds coinmarketcap and other competitors.

To close things out I would like to thank solarguy for all the help he has provided thus far including introducing me to the Dash treasury/voting system.

Thank you for taking the time to read my pre-proposal. I am happy to answer any/all questions or general feedback you may have.

please add a morono filter also

and a column that shows the coinprice for an assumed total coin quantity of 1 million coins

What is a morono filter? I plan to include a feature submission form to continuously upgrade/update the site with features desired by the users/community.

What is a morono filter? I plan to include a feature submission form to continuously upgrade/update the site with features desired by the users/community.
That's kind of an inside joke. There are (some) Monero people that hate Dash with a passion and will spread malicious FUD about Dash at every opportunity. But it's just a joke, Monero is not really a competitor to Dash.

Monero, sounds sorta like Moron...o.

Oh yeah, some folks on the Discord channel were wondering what MetaVS stands for. Would rebranding or renaming or a different domain name be negotiable? Or maybe the name already has special significance that we just don't know about yet...

Here's the long term revenue model I'm thinking about. I have an email in to CoinMarketCap to see what it cost to run a banner ad. Their minimum is 20 grand, so I'm sure it's not cheap. Once I have a firm number, we work out what the ad is worth to Dash. Let's say, once you have a decent level of traffic, the advertising is worth 20 grand a month (we're just making up numbers here). You discount the rate to Dash by 5 grand a month for 6 months, and that effectively pays back the investment we made to get the site up and running.

After you have "paid us back", then we pay the market rate, or maybe a little discount/sweetheart deal so we want to stay and support your site forever. The advantage is you never have to mess with ad revenue from 6 or 8 or 20 other projects. The disadvantage is you only have one customer. If Dash were to ever crash and burn (perish the thought!), you would suddenly be scrambling for revenue. Although, if the site gets the traffic we anticipate, you would not have trouble selling ads.

Another revenue model is you sell ads to anybody that wants one, but Dash is your anchor customer that pays for the big banner ad and gets top placement and a nice discount.

Just me personally, I feel so confident in the superior features of Dash, I think it's allowable to have ads from other coins. But there would be nothing wrong with an exclusive relationship either. What says the community?

That's kind of an inside joke. There are (some) Monero people that hate Dash with a passion and will spread malicious FUD about Dash at every opportunity. But it's just a joke, Monero is not really a competitor to Dash.

Monero, sounds sorta like Moron...o.

Oh yeah, some folks on the Discord channel were wondering what MetaVS stands for. Would rebranding or renaming or a different domain name be negotiable? Or maybe the name already has special significance that we just don't know about yet...

MetaVS was a left over domain I had, I plan on using some of the funds to rebrand to a coin/crypto based domain.

there is plan to add a blockfolio style view for your assets or did you allready have this?

would be nice to see an ajax driven infotab with
coin age / active development / community links / contact person for business partners and so on

Last edited:
there is plan to add a blockfolio style view for your assets or did you allready have this?

This is a planned feature. I am going to create a simple and complex portfolio manager.
  • Simple version will allow you to just enter the number of coins/tokens you own without purchase price etc.
  • Complex version will be similar to blockfolio asking for purchase price etc.
All of the services within portfolio manager's are simple to create once the data is collected/parsed it just comes down to the time available to build out the features themselves.

e20770c.jpg

Another revenue model for long term sustainability is to give 85% of the features away, but if you want the really dressed up version, you pay $36 a year (pick a number).

If the content is good enough, and the traffic is sufficient, you can monetize it a hundred different ways.

I need to provide a few updates regarding this pre-proposal:

1. I am currently discussing the development of other projects with Coingun. Working on some smaller projects within the community will allow me to demonstrate my commitment to the Dash community and allow the community to get to know me.

2. The Dash branded alternative to CoinMarketCap is absolutely still being pursued. But it felt rushed to get it in on this budget cycle, and I want to become better know to the community before pulling the trigger on the 5 Dash proposal fee. I will post more information as negotiations progress. As of now, I believe I will be submitting my proposal next month. Between now and then, I intend to add some features to the website, even before the proposal is live. And with a little luck, I will have some progress to show working on one or more of CoinGun’s projects.

3. I am currently looking for feedback/advice/help selecting a brand name to replace the current branding for the service. Nearly every crypto/coin type domain name has been taken. If you have any suggestions I am open to anything that is brandable. It would be best to keep the domain as short as possible ( Example: CoinCap, etc. ) to make sharing/discovery of the site easy.

I will have more information as negotiations progress, as of now I believe I will be submitting my proposal next month once I have had the chance to upgrade the website and work with CoinGun.

On seeing the site, my initial thought was, the front page should look similar to CMC, because a) it's familiar to everyone, and b) I like the leaderboard approach.

The stat that is vitally missing from CMC is the bitcoin-to-altcoin ratio. For this site, it would be the dash-to-altcoin ratio. It might also be helpful to have market share info for each coin / token (perhaps a pie chart for the top 100).

I also vote yes great idea. An app like coin market cup which main focus on DASH will do great job

Just as a clarification, it will provide data from every token under the sun, but Dash will be the exclusive sponsor.
On seeing the site, my initial thought was, the front page should look similar to CMC, because a) it's familiar to everyone, and b) I like the leaderboard approach.

The stat that is vitally missing from CMC is the bitcoin-to-altcoin ratio. For this site, it would be the dash-to-altcoin ratio. It might also be helpful to have market share info for each coin / token (perhaps a pie chart for the top 100).

Excellent. Noted.

solarguy

Clear yes, in my opinion. The opportunity is ripe for a more fully featured website to displace CMC just as sure as the opportunity exists for a more fully featured coin to replace Bitcoin.

This website could be a key strategic partner for Dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back