• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Recover partial private key

nsimmons

I was making a paper wallet, printed it off and I sent 10 drk as test to start. When I went to import the private key I noticed my printer cut off the first 7 digits. So after a minor panic, I dumped the ram and scanned the entire drive contents with a hex editor looking for part of the key. No luck.

I know the first digit is a 7, so that leave me with 6 missing digits, about 56 billion possibilities. Even if i wrote some code to brute force it Im probably looking at years?

Any better ideas?

I was making a paper wallet, printed it off and I sent 10 drk as test to start. When I went to import the private key I noticed my printer cut off the first 7 digits. So after a minor panic, I dumped the ram and scanned the entire drive contents with a hex editor looking for part of the key. No luck.

I know the first digit is a 7, so that leave me with 6 missing digits, about 56 billion possibilities. Even if i wrote some code to brute force it Im probably looking at years?

Any better ideas?
I would use/modify vanitygen to brute force the missing digits --> https://darkcointalk.org/threads/vanity-darkcoin-addresses.389 which could bring the search time down to days, not years on a GPU.

Anyway, you need to decide if 10 DRK is worth the effort.

Holger

It is dust for me. At least I know its not going anywhere, when its worth 10K next year, I'll definitely want it then.

Back