• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Freewallet.org = terrible experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntheist

Following up a negative report from an artist about Freewallet.org's Dash wallet I decided to investigate the wallet myself.

It is beyond terrible.

If this wallet is a person's first experience of Dash it will turn them away in droves. This is not an app that anyone should be using:

1. It requires being linked to your phone or social media account to work = data mining
2. Incoming transactions take 30 minutes to confirm in the wallet.
3. The same incoming address is reused for every transaction.
4. Out going transactions are subject to a minimum 0.01 Dash fee = $2.90!
5. Outgoing transactions take 15 minutes to confirm inside the app.

Worst of all: you do not control the private keys of the address shown by the wallet app. You can see from the inwards and outwards transactions below that the Dash addresses are not related to each other. This means that all Dash held in a Freewallet.org account is at risk.

My incoming address payments:
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/address.dws?Xk4HSKj9BoV7BsGqHNfgrmbuuYAxStET7m.htm

They are not related to my outgoing transactions:
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/tx.dws?4436536.htm

Social Media Data Collection:
Screenshot_20171018-161802.png

The insanely high fee is not alterable:
Screenshot_20171018-172123.png

Well that's not helpful at all. And you don't have possession of your private keys. That would be a total deal breaker for me. Did you send a friendly note to their dev team to describe why this is a poor fit for your needs? Perhaps they will see the light.

The market is ready and willing to give them feedback. Sometimes the feedback feels like a good kick to the gut.

Freewallet is NOT recommended !!
we never promoted or posted it on any of our Official Outlets (Webpages, Social Media, Wiki....) exactly because of this "Privately issue" (as solar commented)
do NOT use it and done - they can NOT be trusted !!(I will start a round of postings )
Tx for reporting @Syntheist and please get all your guys (and girls) onto
Dash Android :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hashengineering.darkcoin.wallet

Dash iOS:
https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/dash-wallet/id1206647026?l=en&mt=8

Syntheist, we appreciate your feedback! Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your Freewallet experience. We'd like to comment on the moments you highlighted as negative and explain why they're present in the app.

It requires being linked to your phone or social media account to work = data mining

As a wallet service provider, we consider our mission to ensure the security of our users' funds. There are 4 authorization methods that can be used to sign up with our wallet or log into your existing account: by an email address, by a phone number, by your Google+ or Facebook profile.

We agree that privacy is essential for the cryptoworld. However, the information required to log into our app is just to make sure it's you who accesses your assets, not someone else. Another feature we promote is extended mobility with our apps, which means you can log into your wallet on any device using your credentials. You can easily create a new email, etc. to use just for your wallet.

The same incoming address is reused for every transaction.

Actually, we have an option to generate new receiving addresses in the app. Tap on the + button on the main screen, select Receive, then tap on My deposit address. You will get to the following screen where you can generate as many new addresses to receive DASH as you want. We might consider a way to make this option more visible to our users though.

Out going transactions are subject to a minimum 0.01 Dash fee = $2.90!

That's true, we offer a set network fee that help confirm transactions made by our users faster. The fee is the same for transactions of any size, which may be not so convenient for transferring small amounts. We are, however, planning to introduce dynamic network fees with an option to set them manually by the sender in our future app releases. There are also off-chain transactions among Freewallet users, which are fee-free.

Worst of all: you do not control the private keys of the address shown by the wallet app. You can see from the inwards and outwards transactions below that the Dash addresses are not related to each other. This means that all Dash held in a Freewallet.org account is at risk.

With Freewallet, your funds are safely stored offline in the cold storage with a bank level security grade. We can guarantee no money can be lost or stolen from our secure offline vault.

The address displayed in your app is a so-called "hot wallet" used for receiving transactions. Keeping the funds there as well as storing your private keys locally could be a risk because if the access to your device is compromised, it would give a hacker an opportunity to steal your assets.

That is why after you've received a transaction, the funds are moved to the cold storage. Whenever you need to make a transaction, your funds are transferred from the cold storage as well. Your actual balance is displayed in your app; what you see on a blockchain explorer is most likely an intermediary transfer of funds in/out of the cold storage. Please note that you aren't charged with any fees for such transactions.

Thanks to the cold storage technology, even if your phone gets lost or stolen, you can easily access your wallet using another device. We're, however, working on the feature that will allow exporting wallets to PC or another service, it should be available soon.

Incoming transactions take 30 minutes to confirm in the wallet.
Outgoing transactions take 15 minutes to confirm inside the app.

It may take a while for transactions to get confirmed and posted in the network; the transaction speed depends on the current network conditions. Also, because of the cold storage technology explained above, transactions cannot be performed instantly. However, we also offer instant off-chain transactions of the same cryptocurrency between Freewallet users: no fees are applied to them.

We hope that the information we provided helps get a better understanding of how Freewallet works. if you have any further questions or suggestions, we're open to discussion.

Following up a negative report from an artist about Freewallet.org's Dash wallet I decided to investigate the wallet myself.

It is beyond terrible.

Thanks for the time to investigate this wallet, defenelly we have to alert others, I will post on the social media accounts of Dashespanol

Syntheist, we appreciate your feedback! Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your Freewallet experience. We'd like to comment on the moments you highlighted as negative and explain why they're present in the app.

As a wallet service provider, we consider our mission to ensure the security of our users' funds. There are 4 authorization methods that can be used to sign up with our wallet or log into your existing account: by an email address, by a phone number, by your Google+ or Facebook profile.

We agree that privacy is essential for the cryptoworld. However, the information required to log into our app is just to make sure it's you who accesses your assets, not someone else. Another feature we promote is extended mobility with our apps, which means you can log into your wallet on any device using your credentials. You can easily create a new email, etc. to use just for your wallet.

Actually, we have an option to generate new receiving addresses in the app. Tap on the + button on the main screen, select Receive, then tap on My deposit address. You will get to the following screen where you can generate as many new addresses to receive DASH as you want. We might consider a way to make this option more visible to our users though.

That's true, we offer a set network fee that help confirm transactions made by our users faster. The fee is the same for transactions of any size, which may be not so convenient for transferring small amounts. We are, however, planning to introduce dynamic network fees with an option to set them manually by the sender in our future app releases. There are also off-chain transactions among Freewallet users, which are fee-free.

With Freewallet, your funds are safely stored offline in the cold storage with a bank level security grade. We can guarantee no money can be lost or stolen from our secure offline vault.

The address displayed in your app is a so-called "hot wallet" used for receiving transactions. Keeping the funds there as well as storing your private keys locally could be a risk because if the access to your device is compromised, it would give a hacker an opportunity to steal your assets.

That is why after you've received a transaction, the funds are moved to the cold storage. Whenever you need to make a transaction, your funds are transferred from the cold storage as well. Your actual balance is displayed in your app; what you see on a blockchain explorer is most likely an intermediary transfer of funds in/out of the cold storage. Please note that you aren't charged with any fees for such transactions.

Thanks to the cold storage technology, even if your phone gets lost or stolen, you can easily access your wallet using another device. We're, however, working on the feature that will allow exporting wallets to PC or another service, it should be available soon.

It may take a while for transactions to get confirmed and posted in the network; the transaction speed depends on the current network conditions. Also, because of the cold storage technology explained above, transactions cannot be performed instantly. However, we also offer instant off-chain transactions of the same cryptocurrency between Freewallet users: no fees are applied to them.

We hope that the information we provided helps get a better understanding of how Freewallet works. if you have any further questions or suggestions, we're open to discussion.

tx for reaching out

but u have to understand
a wallet - which is supposed to be "my bank" holding the private key does not make any sense
as "my bank account' is suddenly back in the hand of that "bank" !
isn't that 100% against the whole idea of crypto ?
i am just advising our users here - no offence to u guys

Funds are moved to cold storage and that causes the delay? Cool story, bro.

I can see that the Dash I sent was confirmed and that the delay has nothing to do with cold storage because most of those coins never left the hot wallet address they were sent to, here the second set of coins I sent are still in the hot wallet address. So that is now another user's funds at risk in the hot wallet because I withdrew all of my Dash.

Based on the transactions list above I'm guessing this is one of your cold storage addresses: XkLJ82E9JkhHQJLw58u5fhJ8sQw5DeuuS3 with 6620 transactions and counting.

I have a better understanding of how Freewallet works: you have built a potentially dangerous system that requires me to trust you (I don't) on top of a trustless system, with excruciating confirmation times and an exit fee 100 times more expensive than it should be.

I wanna ask if somebody could please help me and guide me to get my XMR from that website. im new to this form of financial trade and i didn't know that this page its a sort of scam.

the problem i have its that the website dont allow me withdraw my funds, always ask for more or less digit that i have.

Sorry for my bad English
Greetings

I wanna ask if somebody could please help me and guide me to get my XMR from that website. im new to this form of financial trade and i didn't know that this page its a sort of scam.

the problem i have its that the website dont allow me withdraw my funds, always ask for more or less digit that i have.

Sorry for my bad English
Greetings

In order to move your funds to an external wallet, you need to cover the network fee, which is 0.02 XMR for Monero.

So your hard wired minimum fee to do a Dash transaction is now/still .01 Dash, or $11.00, correct? You see how this is a complete deal breaker yes?

Ok guys to be fair towards freewallet they are giving free and instant tnxs within their users which is an important feature for developing fees.

As long as they have dynamic fees for sending dash outside I think they have got good use case , infact we are looking for a wallet that can do near instant zero fee txns ...

for people who make $1-10 per week , that's absolutely fine ... stop giving me the privacy lectures
infact we are looking for a wallet that can do near instant zero fee txns ...
What is the transaction fee of the android dash wallet?

Fixed bug from showing local currency for transaction Fee. Fixed Send/Request buttons covering transactions. Fixed double action bars on Address book.
Updated translations. Removed obsolete command (Replace by Fee). Add Local Currency for Transaction Fee.
5.17.2 and before
Lower fees on transactions by a factor of 10. Allow for Free Transactions.

What do they mean by "allow free transactions"?

Last edited:
@Dashmaximalist, you may rate me as troll, but you have a lot to learn from dashred. He solved many of the tech problems you are facing now.

And yes, I admit that the article of dash-red is not usefull for your users. But it is for you. At least you could send to your users the dividend of 0.5$, without for you to pay for transaction fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back