• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-proposal: The Oxford & Cambridge GOAT Race Sponsorship

antron3

Hey guys.

I'm a cryptocurrency enthusiast and I also work at Spitalfields City Farm (a farm project in one of London's most deprived inner city areas). I organise a charity fundraising event here called the Oxford and Cambridge Goat Race.

The event is held on the same day as the famous Oxford & Cambridge Boat Race, an event which is criticised for being elitist, and which is always sponsored by a large financial institution such as JP Morgan.

We started the Goat Race 10 years ago as a fun-event to bring people to the farm, and as a light-hearted protest against the elitism of the boat race, but we have grown over 10 years into a very successful event. We sell out of tickets each year to over 1000+ people - mostly young professional Londoners, who come to enjoy music, food & drink, and of course, the race, and to learn about the community work the farm does.

WHY WE NEED MONEY

This year, we are hoping to expand the race to include more entertainment (bands and music). The race is expensive for us to run, it's like running a day-long music & performance festival. The better we can make it, the more people, and the more media coverage, we can consistently attract.

Also we are trying to raise money for the farm to extend our community work across the year. A couple of examples of our work, we provide gardening clubs for inner city school kids (at our farm and at their schools), and Chickens on Tour, where a class of children get chickens to learn about and look after for a term/semester. With more money from the race, we could extend this valuable work, helping inner city children and adults keep in contact with nature, understand where food comes from, and how to treat animals.

WHY DASH

We receive a lot of national press and TV coverage each year, and I suddenly thought what a great angle it would be to have a major cryptocurrency sponsor the event. The Oxford & Cambridge Goat Race powered by DASH .... vs the Boat Race (sponsored by BNY Mellon).

I can't yet post links as I'm a new account, but there are loads of great ideas of how this can help Dash.

BENEFITS FOR DASH

* great PR angle of the challenger Goat Race going up against the financial institution of the Boat Race - we will get this in national press

* official name designation, The DASH Oxford & Cambridge Goat Race 2018, will be used everywhere

* social media integration: the race has big following, around race week we have a reach of about 100k

* donations integration: we are a charity so we are always asking for money. We could start receiving donations in Dash, and do ticket sales in Dash

* visibility at event - big banners at the trackside, Dash printed on all the tickets and wristbands. the audience of people at the race are perfect for Dash - young professional Londoners who are tech-savvy.

* creative fun - we open a bookie (betting) for people at the race. it's a lot of fun for people and generates money for the farm. It would be amazing if we could do this electronically using Dash and it would encourage lots of people to download a wallet app.

As you can tell I am really excited about the potential of this collaboration... I would be really glad to hear your feedback. The amount we would be looking for is 25-40 Dash for Dash to be our exclusive partner. We would be open to smaller collaborations too.

I can't post links yet, but you can google us - check vimeo, there is a good video on there

looking forward to hearing feedback, thanks, Anthony

just thought I would add, in terms of how many people Dash would reach through this partnership:

** at the race: 1200+ people, mostly 25-45 professional Londoners who will have heard of cryptocurrency
** on social media: we reach around 100K people on our Facebook
** online impressions of videos, news and social media >100K
** every year we have been featured on national and regional TV
** every year we are featured in national papers

just thought I would add, in terms of how many people Dash would reach through this partnership:

** at the race: 1200+ people, mostly 25-45 professional Londoners who will have heard of cryptocurrency
** on social media: we reach around 100K people on our Facebook
** online impressions of videos, news and social media >100K
** every year we have been featured on national and regional TV
** every year we are featured in national papers
Yes, why not?

Sounds fun, especially if we can tie in a wallet download for people to get a small amount of free dash to bet with! That is a cool idea.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is the connotation of the word "Goat" which can mean 'dull' or 'silly' in connection with Dash (which is neither.)

... hmm its a tough one, I'd like to hear what others think...

Yes, why not?

Sounds fun, especially if we can tie in a wallet download for people to get a small amount of free dash to bet with! That is a cool idea.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is the connotation of the word "Goat" which can mean 'dull' or 'silly' in connection with Dash (which is neither.)

... hmm its a tough one, I'd like to hear what others think...

That's a great idea. We do ticketing electronically so could offer a link with free wallet/Dash with every ticket. I would love it at the event if we had a big screen with shifting odds for the betting, powered by Dash.

On goat meaning dull or silly, that's not something I heard before (I'm UK English born and bred).
'Pony' is London (cockney rhyming) slang for rubbish though :)

There is also the fact that Dash implies racing too, which is cool...

Last edited:
That's a great idea. We do ticketing electronically so could offer a link with free wallet/Dash with every ticket. I would love it at the event if we had a big screen with shifting odds for the betting, powered by Dash.

On goat meaning dull or silly, that's not something I heard before (I'm UK English born and bred).
'Pony' is London (cockney rhyming) slang for rubbish though :)

Pony (and trap) is "Crap" lol.

I'm English and "you silly Goat" is something an old lady might say.

For me "Goat" does not have a particularly aspirational feeling. However, it is clearly a play on words because of the Oxbridge race, and it is a bit of fun.

That said, I still want to know what others might think.

:)

I think I can post links now, so here are links to more info... I love working for this event, because it brings much needed laughter along with a good cause.

Link to a party-style video of the 2016 race

Link to Time Out's coverage of the 2017 event
https://www.timeout.com/london/thin...o-know-about-the-oxford-v-cambridge-goat-race

More Time Out coverage of the race
http://now-here-this.timeout.com/20...g-around-at-the-oxford-v-cambridge-goat-race/

Link to an information pack for sponsors about the race (includes info about press and media):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9wMnEDKYixBLXQwN1dYZDl3anpRN0VkUlpTckxfd2FvamFv

The Farm's website:
http://www.spitalfieldscityfarm.org/

much love. Anthony

Ok, ok, I'm sold. It looks like a lot of fun and you're right about the demographic, young, trendy London professional types.

It certainly can't hurt Dash, and it won't be too pricey.

If you can develop the idea of the wallet download with the eticket sale (and the live betting with Instant Send - how cool is that!) then it could be awesome.

The media coverage though.. hmmm... just wondering if that was a one off because of the uniqueness of the event last time around. ... This year, they might be like, ah yes, the Goat Race, we did a piece on that last year... we don't need to cover it again this year.

What are your thoughts on that?

Hi Super8,

ON MEDIA

we are in our 10th year and get consistently good media coverage, despite the fact that we haven't put out a press release in years, (because we sell out every event anyway, so we prioritised our limited manpower away PR completely as it doesn't -directly- help us.) in the past 5 years, I think 4 out of those 5 years a TV network has featured us, without us trying at all.

So, this year, if we have the resource (which getting the money would help - for example being able to pay a PR freelancer (with good contacts in tech and business) just 1 day a week to push us in press and broadcast), I think we could be storming. The angles and stories I would push are:

* 10th year of the race, and our first ever official sponsor - an exciting new cryptocurrency called Dash which is gonna be the next VISA etc etc
* forget boats and stuffy hedge funds - the future is goats and cryptocurrencies
* first live cryptocurrency betting at a sports event
* beyond race day, how, as a social charity, we are revolutionising the way we can work with funding and donations using cryptocurrency
* top 10 interesting uses of cryptocurrencies "even city farms are turning to cryptocurrencies in 2018"
* even the idea of a cryptocurrency sponsoring a farm is newsworthy

my feeling is the the hype around crypto, coupled with the easy appeal of the goat race (journalists love easy quirky stories) means we could kill it on the press this year.

ON TECH

this is where I'm not so strong. how much dev time do you think it might take to build a very simple web or app betting system?
basically people can visit a super simple website on their phone, with just 2 buttons, bet Goat A at odds x/y or Goat B at odds a/b, place a bet, pay for it using Dash instant send, including their receiving address, and then they receive payout (or not) at the end of the race? Or is there an easier way to do this?

(importantly, I just checked and because all the proceeds are going the farm (which is a registered charity) then we can actually run a bookie or sweepstake legally as a fundraiser without need for a gambling license.)

as our ticketing is done electronically , it would be easy to give each ticket holder a unique code, so that they could redeem a wallet download (with dash) against.

At the event, we would create a big Dash branded betting stand (we would come up with a good pun name for the bookie, and make it visually appealing). The instructions and URL for the betting would be clearly visibile and we would have 2-3 people explaining about Dash, and giving away Dash swag / free cocktails.

If the above app isn't possible, then we could have bookies just manually taking crypto payments, but I think this might be slow (taking hundreds of bets from people who have never used a crypto wallet before could lead to large queues and a bad experience.)

COSTS

I will provide a detailed layout of our costs in the final proposal but to give you outline figures

** 20-30 Dash to do the wallet downloads with tickets, and some kind of betting/sweepstake using Dash, as well as the Dash betting store at the event, and banners on the trackside
- this doesn't include Dash to give away... how much would you normally give? like 0.05
- also if the dev costs get hairy may need a little more

** 45 Dash to do the above AND make Dash the main headline sponsor, and therefore we push the PR angles as mentioned above (because this means we can't get any other main sponsor)
(may need more if dev costs look scary)

anyway let me know what you think... I am pretty excited about the potential of this now.... Anthony

overall I like what you are doing so you will likly have my votes. will need to see the concrete proposal first.

in regards to a betting app, I would keep it as simple as possible. Just have a web page with 2 address for goat A and B and also showing the odds. then if somebody wants to bet they just send the dash to the corresponding address. And you can use their initial address as the receiving address.

Hi Singleton, thanks for that info on the betting app, I am excited about it.

So, I'm ready to write this all up, I just had a quick question about the 5 Dash fee for submitting proposals... what happens if the proposal is not accepted?
Is this fee refunded like a deposit?

(I am little worried that this won't pass, and 1250 GBP is quite a lot for us to gamble - we are only asking for about 10000 GBP total ...)
I did see Ed's excellent proposal for the circus festival in Bristol UK passed, so I have hope (actually he is a friend of a friend, and how I heard about Dash Treasury)

do you think that with a good write up and asking for around 45 Dash, we could make it ?

overall I like what you are doing so you will likly have my votes. will need to see the concrete proposal first.

in regards to a betting app, I would keep it as simple as possible. Just have a web page with 2 address for goat A and B and also showing the odds. then if somebody wants to bet they just send the dash to the corresponding address. And you can use their initial address as the receiving address.

So, I'm ready to write this all up, I just had a quick question about the 5 Dash fee for submitting proposals... what happens if the proposal is not accepted?
Is this fee refunded like a deposit?
This is not refunded, you would lost all of it (that is why you have to include in a proposal 5 dash more for fee reimbursment)
(I am little worried that this won't pass, and 1250 GBP is quite a lot for us to gamble - we are only asking for about 10000 GBP total ...)
I like your initiative and probably would be voting yes but, honestly, I don't see the Masternode network voting yes for it (remember you need more than the majority to get it through, you need 10 % more yes vote compared to no as compared to the toatal amount of possible vote). You are new to the community and your ROI is to blurry. I can't guess what the community will do but, in my experience, I have seen few proposals with those two caracteristics go through. But again, I could be wrong, let's see what other say.

Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback so far. I am really leaning towards proposing it. It's scary for me as it looks like I would have to pony up the 5 Dash out of my own pocket, which is a big deal for me. But I have a lot of faith in the project and the Dash community.

A question / request - I think it would really help the proposal if someone known on the forum, could vouch for the project... not anything official or binding, just having met me, and maybe visited the farm, just so when I propose I'm not such an unknown quantity, at least one person can say they've seen the setup, and whether they feel I'm trustable or not.

Of course, if anyone wants to also get involved more the project that would be fantastic too.

The farm is a really beautiful space and project and I only request this because I think that anyone who comes to visit the place, see where the Oxford & Cambridge Goat Race takes place, hang out with the animals - will really enjoy their experience and be happy that they know about the farm now.

I also saw there is a Dash conference tomorrow in Hackney, London (which is where I live) and the farm is literally 20 minutes walk from the conference venue.

So, would anyone like to meet me just for a hello, or come see the farm either around the Dash conference, or at any other date - if so please let me know via PM or email me on [email protected] ... thanks, Anthony

I've just sent you an email, let's have a chat in person, I can share my experience of creating a couple of proposals and help give you some feedback about yours.

Back