• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Baikal New miner Giant-A900 Now open for sale

No your English is quite well and thank you for the reply. The power supply that came with it I don't believe works in the USA. I am using an EnerMax 1500 watt desktop power supply

No your English is very good and thank you for your quick reply. The power supply that came with the unit does not seem to work in the USA. Therefore I am using a Enermax · ATX, EPS · 1,500 watt output · 80 PLUS Gold · Modular with 1 rail for each of the 2 miners. Entire system is drawing no more than 450 Watts and running nice and cool.

With that said do you think it still could be this power supply?

Hey Andrew,

I too have a 80 Plus Gold rated power supply. Those are solid. The power draw from the specs say 430W, which is in the same ball park as your readings, so I don't suspect the problem is the power supply.

How long does the miner go down for? I had the Giants in a multi algorithm pool and I did see them blink every so often, but it was for a few seconds, less than a minute, when it switches the algorithm.

Have you tried switching to a new SD card? Make it a Class 10 or better.

Thanks for sharing your solution. I got shipped a miner with a power supply that wouldn't even turn the Orange Pi on, so it was a bit obvious what the solution would have been.

Yesterday, though, it seems that one of the 2 boards of my Giant is greyed-out / inactive. I've tried rebooting (multiple times), change the master/slave configuration of the boards, but it doesn't seem to help. I'm not sure what else to try here...

I've got less than 48 hours of experience with the unit. But Did you tell which board it is? There's a white ribbon enter connect cable that you use to date a chain multiple units together. Is it the one on the bottom by the orange pie controller bored and Ethernet connection or is it the other one.

If it is the other board...look on the boards and you will see in/out marked on connectors. Make sure the main board is connected to in and other board is connected to out.

I separated my ribbon cable into two parts and I'm only using one. Out from one board into the other.

Hey Andrew,

I too have a 80 Plus Gold rated power supply. Those are solid. The power draw from the specs say 430W, which is in the same ball park as your readings, so I don't suspect the problem is the power supply.

How long does the miner go down for? I had the Giants in a multi algorithm pool and I did see them blink every so often, but it was for a few seconds, less than a minute, when it switches the algorithm.

No. Just unboxed it less than 24 hours ago. First Baikal. I can get the new card no problem. I just have no idea how to move the information from the old one to the new one.

I don't even know how to login from the terminal for that matter. I tried Baikal in all lowercase for the username and password using putty. Did not work.

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for your reply. It stays down until I notice it and reboot it. I am connected to Nicehash. Works beautiful until it drops its internet. Have not replaced the card, would you happen to have a link to a good tutorial on doing that?

No. Just unboxed it less than 24 hours ago. First Baikal. I can get the new card no problem. I just have no idea how to move the information from the old one to the new one.

I don't even know how to login from the terminal for that matter. I tried Baikal in all lowercase for the username and password using putty. Did not work.

I have a Giant A900 (900 MH/s), but the web interface should be the same as yours (if the image on the Pi's SD card is the same). As far as move the information from the old to the new one, you can just copy the contents of the old SD card to the new one, just like any other files. If that doesn't work, you could try flashing the SD card with the baikal image, and then configuring the pools on the web interface.

You can give it a try on Section "3. Burning OrangePI image to SD Card". This is for a Baikal Mini, but the processes should be the same. DO NOT do the firmware update with the file mentioned there, as that specific file seems to be hardware-specific.

https://forum.bits.media/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=37094

Okay thank you very much. I'll give that a try and see what happens. By the way, anyone know why there is no A2000 Giant+ manual for information on the manufacturer's website?

All they have for products and support for those products is the cube and the quad Cube. So if I get to the point of having to do a firmware update I don't even know where to get it!

* Update *

I have a SanDisk 32GB class 4. Can I use that or must I buy an 8GB?

Last edited:
Okay thank you very much. I'll give that a try and see what happens. By the way, anyone know why there is no A2000 Giant+ manual for information on the manufacturer's website?

All they have for products and support for those products is the cube and the quad Cube. So if I get to the point of having to do a firmware update I don't even know where to get it!

* Update *

I have a SanDisk 32GB class 4. Can I use that or must I buy an 8GB?

Not sure. Because the procedures are very similar, then I don't even thing Baikal bothers to make a manual for each product. As far as updating the firmware, yeah, you'd have to look for specific model's firmware. You can also try asking @BAIKAL for the link. Their Skype ID is baikalminer

Try not using a Class 4. Use a Class 10. Just make sure the capacity (GBs) is enough for the image size (8 GB).

Not sure. Because the procedures are very similar, then I don't even thing Baikal bothers to make a manual for each product. As far as updating the firmware, yeah, you'd have to look for specific model's firmware. You can also try asking @BAIKAL for the link. Their Skype ID is baikalminer

Try not using a Class 4. Use a Class 10. Just make sure the capacity (GBs) is enough for the image size (8 GB).

Yeah I never looked before but i just realized that the Lower class the older/worse it is. Daaaa. I had just assumed "backwards" :)
Guess im going to bestbuy! Thanks.

Can someone tell me what this cable is called please.
what1.png

The picture is kinda crappy, but it seems like a PCIe splitter. It's useful if your PSU doesn't have enough cables to power your miner (but has enough power, though)

"The picture is kinda crappy", Yeah i know it is but i took it from this pic https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/baikal-new-miner-giant-a900-now-open-for-sale.11205/page-2
Just try'n to learn how many things work together, I am a Noobelist when it come to electronics. when i learn the lingo as whats what i'm wanting to make a few videos that anyone can understand.
I really don't want others to have to go thru what i have had to do via trial and error, typing a lil bit of code is one thing and electronics is another.
I think the more we can educate. The better off we'll be.
JD

I really don't want others to have to go thru what i have had to do via trial and error, typing a lil bit of code is one thing and electronics is another.
I think the more we can educate. The better off we'll be.
JD

Very good point. My comment's intend was definitely not to trash talk, was more of an observation.

I agree the better we educate others, the better off we are. Thanks for making life easier to other people.

Back