• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Core Team Contractor Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are not a huge corporate entity
I would extrapolate this to a bigger problem. DASH seems to think that it is a much bigger deal than it really is. The heads are a bit swollen. I see the problem largest in the MNOs. It's like a bunch of homeless people just got put on the board of directors and now they think the world has to kiss their ass... Want to talk about all this crap, like paid vacations, as if they're some kind of big deal that matters in the real world...

It's like they're playing hose with their little brother, but don't realize the doll isn't a real baby....

Wishing and pretending that it's already true, won't make it happen. It's just delusional.

Last edited:
So, this post, and the topic in slack, has been bothering me for a while. I will give another perspective, based on my own personal situation.

I work as an international employee for a globally known employer. We are regularly in the news and our work has a global impact. I work in IT. We don't produce anything related to IT at all, we're not Microsoft or Google, but the people who work here use IT constantly for their work and they need efficient systems that work. The point here is that I am not producing work directly for my employer, I am only supporting other people who do that.

We hire the best, globally. For a junior level position, I will get 400 applications that pass the initial screening by HR. You will need relevant experience, a degree from a recognized university, a report from your local police force that you have not been naughty, and basically beat everyone else who has applied through a series of tests, assessments, and interviews. For a more senior position, we will fly you here for a face to face interview, video conference just doesnt cut it. Nationality is irrelevant. In my team of 10 people I have 8 different nationalities.

And what do we offer:
  • a high net salary - entry level would be in the region of 400-500 dash per month, we only talk about net, dont worry about taxes (particularly you US citizens, whose government believes that you should pay taxes no matter where you live), we'll reimburse you
  • Visa - no problem, we'll take care of it for you and your family
  • We will provide flights for you and family from whereever you are
  • We will ship the contents of your house here
  • need somewhere to stay when you first arrive in the country, no problem we'll cover the hotel
  • we know its hard to move to a new country and hard to find a suitable home, we'll help with rent for the first couple of years
  • its hard to be away from home for many years, so we'll give you and your family flight tickets back home every couple of years for a holiday
  • you'll need a car when you arrive, we'll either help you ship one here (which is difficult), or we'll cover the tax on a new car (which is easier, European taxes on cars are high, 20%?, I dunno exactly cause I've never paid them)
  • school for children in a foreign country is hard, no problem we'll pay for a school in the language of your choice ... or if you prefer you can send your child to a boarding school and we'll cover that instead ... universities as well of course
  • naturally, when you leave this job, we'll ship you, your family, and your furniture back
  • private pension fund, private health insurance, life insurance ... worldwide coverage
  • 30 days holiday, not including national holidays which in this country are another 12 days ... if the national holiday is on the weekend, you get a week day (Friday/Monday) (not all countries do this which I find very strange)
  • unlimited sick leave - although disability clauses will kick in at some point (I have no experience with this)
  • retirement age is 62
This is the kind of environment and working conditions that we work in. If you want to hire the best, to produce the best, then this is the way you need to treat your employees.

Now I realise that the DASH community cannot afford this, I'm not suggesting that they do. But maybe some of you just don't realise what high level employees get paid, not just the salary but the benefits as well.

If you believe the DASH core team is a world leader in this field, you should be damned grateful that they are still working on DASH and treat them with the respect they deserve.

20 days holiday per year, including national holidays? Fuck off.

Last edited:
We want to attract GOOD people. And good people most certainly have a good job. A job in which they don't lose money when they are sick for a couple of days. Remember we're talking about full time jobs, not part time.

I agree that we shouldn't copy a broken corporate benefit structure, but we shouldn't copy a broken social system (aka US-system) either.
As a recruiter, I must agree with you. In order for Dash to attract people who are currently working successfully but are willing to move over to Dash because they buy into the mission, Dash must not create too harsh of a transition. There is a fine line -- you also want people willing to make some degree of sacrifice because they are passionate about what Dash is doing. However, the inherent unknowns and uncertainty help to solve for this.

Question: When was a decision made to pay "dash contractors" salaries instead of per contract amounts? Wouldn't per project or tallied amounts be better bcuz you can look at the time allocations per projects and see how much it cost and all that?

Is core team contractors, or employees?
Can someone clarify this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back