• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre-proposal: Dash retail location

priestc

Here is the plan:

1. Rent storefront
2. Buy large blue "Dash" sign and hang it out front.
3. Furnish the inside of retail space like a bank.
4. Employ 6 or 7 Full time staff. Said staff's job is to essentially be bank tellers.

So basically like a bank or a cash cashing place, but for dash.

Dash is always saying they are going after the "your mother can use it" market, but my mother doesn't even use online banking of any kind. My mom uses a checkbook, and she visits the branch in person and does withdraws and deposits face-to-face with the teller.

I've never opened a retail location before, so if there is anyone who has a bunch of experience doing this kind of thing please contact me.

The purpose of this project is to be the "pilot" instance of the Dash retail location. If this store succeeds, the formula can be repeated and more locations can open up across the world.

I live in El Paso, TX, so the plot store will be here. If there is a reason why another location would be a better pick for the pilot store, please let me know. I'm not tied to El Paso. Maybe a state with legalized recreational weed would be better?

Other services can be provided to customers other than just buying and selling dash. For instance we can have weekly "getting started with crypto" classes once a week, and more in depth classes once a month.

Since the store is subsidized by the treasury, services do not have to be profitable. Buying and selling can be done a spot price, with 0 fee.

The hard part I think will be complying with regulations. There will most likely be KYC we will have to perform if someone wants to buy or sell a large amount of dash. People with small amounts may not need any KYC. The exact process we will share with the community, so that others can make their own treasury proposals and compete with my stores.

Well if your mom is not comfortable with online banking then I fear she will never be comfortable with Dash. We are trying to be as easy to use as PayPal but setting up a Dash bank that holds the coins for its customers totally defeats the benefit of using Dash to begin with.

but setting up a Dash bank that holds the coins for its customers totally defeats the benefit of using Dash to begin with.

A Dash bank is not at all what I'm proposing. Its more like a zero fee exchange, and the store also provides support and training.

Lets say a coffee shop wants to accept dash. A customer walks into the coffee store and order a coffee and tries to pay with dash, but there is a problem with the transaction. They can call the sash store, and they will send out someone to that location to figure out the problem and issue a solution. One of the problems with bitcoin is that there is no one to complain to when there is a problem because there is no central authority that can provide such a service. Dash solves this problem by providing funding to have these "ground forces" so to speak.

A Dash bank is not at all what I'm proposing. Its more like a zero fee exchange, and the store also provides support and training.

Lets say a coffee shop wants to accept dash. A customer walks into the coffee store and order a coffee and tries to pay with dash, but there is a problem with the transaction. They can call the sash store, and they will send out someone to that location to figure out the problem and issue a solution. One of the problems with bitcoin is that there is no one to complain to when there is a problem because there is no central authority that can provide such a service. Dash solves this problem by providing funding to have these "ground forces" so to speak.
Hi @priestc ,

I like your creative thinking, but I don't think what you are proposing is economically viable. (Especially for small point of sale transactions such as a cup of coffee purchase.)

Think about the real world. If your card declines, then the normal procedure is to try another payment method. The same would apply here.

Perhaps a call center with live customer support for technical issues may be useful (eg like paypal or Visa, but a storefront 'Bank' type operation would not be necessary.)

I think many real world bank storefronts are closing down anyway because the trend is towards online/internet banking.

Hi @priestc ,

I like your creative thinking, but I don't think what you are proposing is economically viable.

I agree the idea is not economically viable. But the point is not to be economically viable, thats why the treasury subsidies operation costs. I would bet 99% of treasury proposals are not economically viable. The purpose of this endeavor is not to make me a millionaire, the point is to help dash.

Perhaps a call center with live customer support for technical issues may be useful (eg like paypal or Visa, but a storefront 'Bank' type operation would not be necessary.)

Are you kidding? I bet by far people prefer speaking to a real person instead of waiting on hold for 20 minutes waiting for a clueless phone operator. Even then, a phone assistant can't possibly provide the same level of assistance a real life person standing in the same room as you can provide.

I think many real world bank storefronts are closing down anyway because the trend is towards online/internet banking.
That may be true, but these retail locations are not closing down because customers prefer dealing with phone operators over real people. They are being shut down as a penny pinching measure. As I understand it, the Dash treasury has more money than it known what to do with.

Back