• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

A Potential Goldmine: Making The #FirstDashWallet Campaign Permanent

The old MNs are all tech geeks they dont know much about marketing , but its changing for the good with the influx of new MNs

Would you mind sharing those experiences ? We could all learn from it, andy maybe @amanda_b_johnson can then more anticipate from the problem you add. As a community I'm sure we can find amazing solutions to fighting scammers. Let's just put those thousands of brain to work !

Yup exactly, let's fight the scammers. Again everybody, nothing to lose. Even you get "scammed off" 99 % (which surel we won't) you still have 1% of money that would have helped the network grow instead of 0%.

But I agree with you @tungfa, nothing needs to be permanent. Tries and error ! Anyway, with our voting system nothing is ever permanent anyways.

It's funny because our system is kinda working like the French culture right now.

French love theory, planning and talking (see how much I write ;)) : we prefer to establish a theory first and then we will experiment it : so we like a lot of thinking, calculation, precise planning and anticipate precise outcomes and then, only then, we might take action. On the opposite, you have British culture which is much more pragmatic. First they experiment, one, two, three time. They gets result, they get better and finally they conclude and find the theory.

Both have their merits obviously, but in the case where we have unlimited money everymonth, I believe a bit more of experiment without too much planning and anticipated ROI and so on do the network some great good !

i did giveaways back then over Dashtalk.org for Spanish / Portuguese communities (when we started there)
as i could not check IP's back then (as not admin here - props was in charge) a bunch of guys logged in double and triple and whatnot .... best were the once who used the same receiving address :rolleyes:
that worked well for a while until it did not
i believe it is great to do these initiatives for some weeks and then stop and start again 3-6 month later (keep the hype and interest going)
in general i do not believe in handing out money
- serious investors "are better than that" (they7 do not have to wait for handouts)
- small newcomers love it (but will they buy only because they get x amount ion dash for free ? doubt it - i think they ether keep the coins as a novolty or sell as they want the $)
+20 US$ is a lot of money ! (i have been to africa and indonesia and whatnot more than enough to know the value of $ in 3rd world countries)
tbh - nobody will hold or buy more - they will sell as they can feed the whole family for days on this (so great user experience as that handout does "good" know what i mean)
so as said before
doing this occasionally sounds great constant , i do not agree :rolleyes:

my 2,5 duffs as always

I incline to Andy's point of view. Because currently Dash isn't good enough. Jaxx wallet can useable but doesn't support InstantSend and PrivateSend. If we over promote Dash to many people then it is very hard to let them come back to try our more advanced Evolution wallet. Because many of them don't feel comfortable when using Dash at this time. Currently with Jaxx wallet on mobile Dash isn't much different with Bitcoin or other coins.

I think we should wait until the Evolution complete to continue this kind of promotion. This time we should only try to attract people who know and somewhat familiar with cryptocurrency or geeks.

Just to offer a little different perspective...

I think Dash to be so superior for the use case of actual digital money, it almost doesn't matter when we start the big marketing campaign.

So, while we should still have a plan, and do smart and effective marketing, this is like a tank rolling into a fist fight.

And don't forget, we're not really competing against other tokens, we're competing against the legacy banking system. And that system has treated regular folks (1st world and developing world) so badly for so long, any cryptocurrency that isn't actually stealing money from people should do very very well. Look at Doge coin. It was started as a joke. The guy did actually run off with everybody's money at some point. And yet is has recovered and done pretty well.

That's because, compared to the legacy banking system, even Doge coin sucks less than that.

The remittance system (mostly Wells Fargo) is a 50-80 billion dollar business. Under the best case scenario, between fees and not too generous exchange rates, Wells Fargo charges 5%. Under lots of other circumstances, it's 15 or even 20%. That's what we're competing with. If Dash took away 1/3 of their business, our market cap would go up x 10 just with that.

How can we not win???

We have the plan, we have the resources and we have the development team, and perhaps most importantly, we have the Dash community to accomplish the plan.

Relax a few notches. Have a little faith. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Absoultely there are 100s of reasons why people should focus on crypto in general and dash in specific , have we taken use of the fact that dash is only coin which offers instant send which is really useful for real life purchases without 0 trust ??

i really wish people realise that building great marketing teams and strategies takes years just like the 'tech' and we should absolutely get it rolling

Absoultely there are 100s of reasons why people should focus on crypto in general and dash in specific , have we taken use of the fact that dash is only coin which offers instant send which is really useful for real life purchases without 0 trust ??

i really wish people realise that building great marketing teams and strategies takes years just like the 'tech' and we should absolutely get it rolling

Yeah that ^ .

Even if we decide as a community that there does not need to be a big marketing push until after Evolution is out and functional, it could easily take 6-12 months or more to plan and finance an appropriate social media (and other) campaign. We should be shopping for a good marketing firm now, and possibly saving up un-allocated Treasury money for future marketing plans.

Last edited:
If IT professionals can't spend Dash in the USA, UK, Canada, Australia etc, it's delusional to think regular people in Nigeria are going to.

I think in countries like Nigeria DASH and this out reach program would provide a great deal of hope. Their economy and fiat currency is turmoil, corruption and fraud across the board. $10 to a person in Nigeria is a big deal, and if that spreads the idea of DASH, which effectively solves two of their problems, Government corruption and fraud. It is a big win I believe.

I'm very thankful for @amanda_b_johnson to step up with the #firstdashwallet initiative because I can imagine how hard this can be to manually filter all these requests for "free money" and it's very interesting to test the idea even though it might be too early as @AndyDark already mentioned. With that being said I'm pretty sure that an open-ended proposal to continue the campaign forever without any estimates or limits is the wrong way. Imo we shouldn't throw money to the wind even if otherwise they are going to be burnt not going to be created - this encourages ill kind of behavior which can be damaging in the long term.....

I think we should check the results of current campaign first after some time i.e. How many of them really became Dash users in any sense? How many of them just converted Dash to btc/$/whatever and just got their "free money" from us? (How can we verify this btw?).....?

Well you got one new user, and miner ( ME :=D ) and my daughter got her wallet, but by the time we got all set up did the photo, and were ready to post the Tweet, we missed the deadline :-(. However, @amanda_b_john DASH Detailed YT Shows, and DASH School convinced me, and BTW I am totally new to Crypto. Learned a tonne in the last week though.

Last edited:
Howdy, friends. Just wanted to share a few thoughts from these last few weeks of campaigns.

To refresh your memory, we led with the #FirstDashWallet campaign, which was set set for a week. Due to the high level of engagement and support from masternode owners, we continued it for four more days with one additional requirement -- participants were asked to hold a sign denoting their nation-state location. Then, switching gears, we launched another campaign that asked folks to retweet a post pinned to the top of Amanda's Twitter profile. It was great to see the response from individuals eager to become more familiar with Dash.

Through the #FirstDashWallet campaigns, individuals not only had to take action themselves (to open a wallet) but needed to inform a friend, colleague, or family member about Dash, in order to get that person to open a wallet as well. Because we had thousands of entries, that equates to thousands of such conversations. Affinity for Dash cannot happen without awareness, so this was a very positive consequence of the campaign. Plus, as participants themselves were sent the Dash to then distribute to the other person posing in their picture, both parties became more familiar with current wallet functionality and confident in using the new technology.

Let me share what Amanda wrote last week:

@dashdisciple has indeed been providing constant and ample assistance to Pete and myself in making this campaign possible. After about day three or four, we realized we were in over our heads. Dashdisciple reached out, and within 24 hours, set an employee of his to deploy a remote Twitter scraper and batch payment tool for us to use.

The creation and utilizing of this scraper undoubtedly saved us much time. Rather than manually enter campaign entry information (URL of post, username, etc.) we were able to pull a fresh scrape, de-duplicate it, vet entries, then pay those who met the criteria. Note too that for a time we used a server/bot that @dashdisciple and his team created, enabling us to batch send payments simply by inputting the amount of Dash each was to receive, followed by a list of Dash receiving addresses.

Later in the campaign we started becoming aware of more attempts of fraud, which is understandable for a campaign of this scale. We started to look at entries with a more discerning eye, and when appropriate, opted not to send payment to such entries. For example, a person with two phones who takes pictures of themselves, one at a time, with ten different people. Per the campaign rules, each person/wallet can net $10 in Dash maximum. So in that example given, we would pay the first picture the full amount ($20 in Dash) but not pay any of the other pictures, because, though different people were included, they used the same devices/wallets. In other cases, entries of say, a family of six, would show each pairing possible in the pictures, so not just a father with his wife, then son, then daughter, etc., but the father with the wife, then the wife with the son, then the son with the father, then the daughter with the mother, etc. All in all, we did our best to stay true to the campaign mission and reward those who had participated.

What was really cool for me personally was to see the far-reaching nature of this campaign. In total, folks from 63 different nation-states were involved. Here's about 70 pictures of #FirstDashWallet participants.

Regarding the third campaign -- the retweets -- I'll be honest, I thought that with a 24-hour timeframe we might have to process about 800 entries. Amanda thought around 400. But when the deadline was reached, her post had over 3,500 retweets. Soon after we discovered that viewing the full list of those who had participated was not possible in Twitter. So in true problem-solving mode, Amanda instructed participants to email us for payment. In order to stay timely with payments we looped-in some trusted folks in the Dash ecosystem who were willing to assist, including Alex-ru (Alexey, who gets things done), aniinl (Anjya, Europe-based crypt-entheausist), jmmon (Joe, "The Dash Piper"), Mr. Mime (Michael, the gent who helped offset the Dash Open House costs by raffling one of his mining rigs), and Tao (of Tao of Satoshi infamy).

As has been shared elsewhere already, for transparency and accountability reasons, entries/payouts for can be viewed here (each campaign is on a separate tab, identified on the bottom-left of the spreadsheet). Note that the spreadsheets list only profiles that were paid. Thousands more non-qualifying entries were processed and were manually responded to with reason for non-payment.

Below are the number of participants paid and the amount of Dash used in each campaign:

Week 1: #FirstDashWallet
- 1,438 participants
- 171 Dash

Week 2: #FirstDashWallet with country-specific signage
- 1,425 participants
- 147 Dash

Week 3 – Retweet article about the Dash DAO

- 3,398 participants
- 93 Dash

Last edited:
Howdy, friends. Just wanted to share a few thoughts from these last few weeks of campaigns.

To refresh your memory, we led with the #FirstDashWallet campaign, which was set set for a week.
Thanks for the update! What a surprisingly (overwhelmingly) successful campaign.

And sorry, but could you clarify...are you Amanda? Or Piet? It is somewhat ambiguous.

Finest regards,

solarguy

Last edited by a moderator:

To refresh your memory, we led with the #FirstDashWallet campaign, which was set set for a week. Due to the high level of engagement and support from masternode owners, we continued it for four more days with one additional requirement -- participants were asked to hold a sign denoting their nation-state location. Then, switching gears, we launched another campaign that asked folks to retweet a post pinned to the top of Amanda's Twitter profile. It was great to see the response from individuals eager to become more familiar with Dash.

Through the #FirstDashWallet campaigns, individuals not only had to take action themselves (to open a wallet) but needed to inform a friend, colleague, or family member about Dash, in order to get that person to open a wallet as well. Because we had thousands of entries, that equates to thousands of such conversations. Affinity for Dash cannot happen without awareness, so this was a very positive consequence of the campaign. Plus, as participants themselves were sent the Dash to then distribute to the other person posing in their picture, both parties became more familiar with current wallet functionality and confident in using the new technology.

Let me share what Amanda wrote last week:

@dashdisciple has indeed been providing constant and ample assistance to Pete and myself in making this campaign possible. After about day three or four, we realized we were in over our heads. Dashdisciple reached out, and within 24 hours, set an employee of his to deploy a remote Twitter scraper and batch payment tool for us to use.

The creation and utilizing of this scraper undoubtedly saved us much time. Rather than manually enter campaign entry information (URL of post, username, etc.) we were able to pull a fresh scrape, de-duplicate it, vet entries, then pay those who met the criteria. Note too that for a time we used a server/bot that @dashdisciple and his team created, enabling us to batch send payments simply by inputting the amount of Dash each was to receive, followed by a list of Dash receiving addresses.

Later in the campaign we started becoming aware of more attempts of fraud, which is understandable for a campaign of this scale. We started to look at entries with a more discerning eye, and when appropriate, opted not to send payment to such entries. For example, a person with two phones who takes pictures of themselves, one at a time, with ten different people. Per the campaign rules, each person/wallet can net $10 in Dash maximum. So in that example given, we would pay the first picture the full amount ($20 in Dash) but not pay any of the other pictures, because, though different people were included, they used the same devices/wallets. In other cases, entries of say, a family of six, would show each pairing possible in the pictures, so not just a father with his wife, then son, then daughter, etc., but the father with the wife, then the wife with the son, then the son with the father, then the daughter with the mother, etc. All in all, we did our best to stay true to the campaign mission and reward those who had participated.

What was really cool for me personally was to see the far-reaching nature of this campaign. In total, folks from 63 different nation-states were involved. Here's about 70 pictures of #FirstDashWallet participants.

Regarding the third campaign -- the retweets -- I'll be honest, I thought that with a 24-hour timeframe we might have to process about 800 entries. Amanda thought around 400. But when the deadline was reached, her post had over 3,500 retweets. Soon after we discovered that viewing the full list of those who had participated was not possible in Twitter. So in true problem-solving mode, Amanda instructed participants to email us for payment. In order to stay timely with payments we looped-in some trusted folks in the Dash ecosystem who were willing to assist, including Alex-ru (Alexey, who gets things done), aniinl (Anjya, Europe-based crypt-entheausist), jmmon (Joe, "The Dash Piper"), Mr. Mime (Michael, the gent who helped offset the Dash Open House costs by raffling one of his mining rigs), and Tao (of Tao of Satoshi infamy).

As has been shared elsewhere already, for transparency and accountability reasons, entries/payouts for can be viewed here (each campaign is on a separate tab, identified on the bottom-left of the spreadsheet). Note that the spreadsheets list only profiles that were paid. Thousands more non-qualifying entries were processed and were manually responded to with reason for non-payment.

hi congratulations on this wonderful project ,i think we should make it much bigger

here are few of my suggestions

ask users to click a selfie and lets use facial recognition to make sure they are not cheating the system along with verifying a OTP in SMS ( over all takes less than 1 minute)
once they pass lets give $5 immediately in dash ( this will give them real confidence that it works)

Now for every friend they refer ( for those who signs up & verifies ) they will get $5 too.

This is much simpler for the user as well as for us to track people.

i reckon we should roll this out in a country specific way , my favorite countries are venezuela and nigeria , both these places are suffering from hyperinflation , venezuela ( massively so ) and people are keen to look for an alternative

lets target 50-100,000 signs up per month from a particular country and i reckon this will put us in super spot compared to the rest of the coins

hi congratulations on this wonderful project ,i think we should make it much bigger

here are few of my suggestions

ask users to click a selfie and lets use facial recognition to make sure they are not cheating the system along with verifying a OTP in SMS ( over all takes less than 1 minute)
once they pass lets give $5 immediately in dash ( this will give them real confidence that it works)

Now for every friend they refer ( for those who signs up & verifies ) they will get $5 too.

This is much simpler for the user as well as for us to track people.

i reckon we should roll this out in a country specific way , my favorite countries are venezuela and nigeria , both these places are suffering from hyperinflation , venezuela ( massively so ) and people are keen to look for an alternative

lets target 50-100,000 signs up per month from a particular country and i reckon this will put us in super spot compared to the rest of the coins

Targeted, effective marketing in Venezuela, India, Nigeria, etc etc etc, BY ITSELF could take Dash to the moon, and do more good for the regular folks in those countries than all the foreign aid the US and other countries pour in there. What precise shape that takes, and what is the most effective marketing in terms of Dash per person introduced/converted, that's where I hope a new CMO, or a new Core Team Marketing group will emerge and run with this, along with a dozen other effective strategies.

The key will be measurable goals in a feedback loop to refine the approach.

Thanks for the update! What a surprisingly (overwhelmingly) successful campaign.

And sorry, but could you clarify...are you Amanda? Or Piet? It is somewhat ambiguous.

Finest regards,

solarguy
This "trustthyself" profile is used by Amanda's "manservant" -- Pete. Pete Eyre to be specific. There is another gent named Pieter, who put in a proposal called "Project Jet Plane."

IIRC on Jan 1st we were n the $14-$17 range. Now core team is catchimg flack for not spending money fast enough? Nobody was prepared for this size budget this soon. It will take a while for the ecosystem to adjust to it (assuming it remains). But we will adjust.

Let's just keep moving forward. Let's try to keep the community unified. Let's disagree respectfully.

When in doubt... Vote on it.

I've honed my thoughts, and I have to say that my issues are with the lack of information to the greater crypto world and beyond. Even Dash community members don't see what the big deal is with Evolution, "after all, many coins have these services on web wallets". If Dashers don't understand, then we have a problem. What Evolution brings to the table solves everything in the most decentralized way. Everything.

But nobody knows. I don't want to lure ignorant people in to "invest" I want to lure people in to SEE, and Understand and hopefully get behind Dash because it's the best.

Going to conferences is one thing, but making videos explaining what makes Dash different would reach a heck of a lot more people.

Targeted, effective marketing in Venezuela, India, Nigeria, etc etc etc, BY ITSELF could take Dash to the moon, and do more good for the regular folks in those countries than all the foreign aid the US and other countries pour in there. What precise shape that takes, and what is the most effective marketing in terms of Dash per person introduced/converted, that's where I hope a new CMO, or a new Core Team Marketing group will emerge and run with this, along with a dozen other effective strategies.

The key will be measurable goals in a feedback loop to refine the approach.
Exactly , please focus on selected countries , my favouries are nigeria and venezueala , both have limited population , both are suffering from hyperinflation and if we can get 2-3% of population using dash using our $5 offer , we can start a snow ball effect.

again lets spend a good amount on this intiative and have solid fraud prevention

@TanteStefana yes dash evolution is great , that's why we are all here , but please understand marketing is equally important , i really wish the core gets it ,

The biggest reason bitcoin is so popular is because it's got this massive head start in people's mind , to break that is not that easy one simple evolution trick is not enough

we absolutely have to make full and right use of marketing dollars , without which some one can copy and take over

the real unfortunate thing is , none of core has any focused and committed marketing methodology , really unfortunate.

Does this evaluation of the first dash wallet campaign from Evan and Ryan's recent open letter seem a little dismissive to anyone else?
"Even though we would discourage repeated giveaways, the recently completed giveaway is not wasteful....We might gain some valuable insights from this data, and we encourage analysis of the results."

By the way let me remind here in this thread, what I have proposed a long long time ago, and what @amanda_b_johnson voted on it. And what is she doing right now? Almost exactly what I have said. I order and she executes. She is delayed a little bit when I order, but I forgive her...:p
This is just a question.
Universal Dividend means that everyone who owns a dashcoin wallet, he gets a basic income just for beeing a member of the community. This basic income could be from 0 dashcoins to total_dashcoins/members, and this could be a subject to vote.
In order to give a basic income, of course a Web of Trust is needed. Because we have to distinguish dash members that are real persons, and not alternative accounts.
So what do you think about it?
I am talking about Dash, not dashcoin, please forgive my typo in the title.
And let me also remind what @crowning answered to me
Besides this, I could hire loads of Chinese people cheaply (I have friends there) to prove individuality for my hundreds of wallets I would create.
o_O:confused: Is it possible that he hired Nigerians and Colombians (instead of Chinese) in amanda's dividend campaign? I hope not.

A Potential Goldmine: Making The #FirstDashWallet Campaign Permanent

My fellow Dash Nation members,

I don't know about you, but I have been inspired by the success of @amanda_b_johnson's #FirstDashWallet campaign, and the areas of the world it has brought people into Dash from.
This campaign has the potential to be the hugest thing to happen in earth's history, let alone Dash. People in countries with failing currencies will start it out of desperation, but eventually that network effect will bring it worldwide. This could seriously be the "killer app" that we need to bring the world into digital cash.
As such, I propose that we spend every last remaining budget dollar on this campaign, what is left over after all of the other approved proposals. The importance of what Amanda has started here cannot be overstated. Carrying on with this path could see huge swaths of people carrying Dash, and be the kickstarter to merchant adoption that we need.
In my opinion, that would create far more value than simply not creating the Dash.
As the Dash Nation founder, this campaign makes me absolutely giddy with excitement. Let's continue to get Dash out there into the hands of people who will help us create a worldwide economy with digital cash!

Who agrees with me?

@TaoOfSatoshi is that you, or your account has been hacked?

Let me remind here in this thread, what I have proposed a long long time ago, and what @TaoOfSatoshi voted on it.
This is just a question.
Universal Dividend means that everyone who owns a dashcoin wallet, he gets a basic income just for beeing a member of the community. This basic income could be from 0 dashcoins to total_dashcoins/members, and this could be a subject to vote.
In order to give a basic income, of course a Web of Trust is needed. Because we have to distinguish dash members that are real persons, and not alternative accounts.
So what do you think about it?
I am talking about Dash, not dashcoin, please forgive my typo in the title.

If it is really you, and if you have really change your mind, then please change your vote and you will be forgiven.

And if you want to be forgiven even more , then support (with your vote) the proof of individuality campaign.

8828b82c7ac1dc5067b2ad794db326b09d986bcf.jpg

Last edited:
Back