• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Evolution Team Restructure & Recruitment

AndyDark

Hi everyone,

Following on from my announcement of the DashCore restructuring process, I’m pleased to announce that we have also completed recruitment for the Evolution backend / frontend development teams and optimized the internal structure by merging the various Evolution projects outside of DashCore into a single cross-functional team named simply the “Evolution Team” with a full time Project Manager.

Nathan Marley has been appointed as the Tech Lead for the expanded Evolution Team along with the DashDrive team, with Alex werner as Tech Lead for the Backend team and Chuck Williams Tech Lead for the Frontend team.

About the teams:

• DashDrive team is developing the blockchain-based p2p relational database that stores Evolution user data.

• Backend team is developing DAPI itself that runs on each Masternode, and a reference Client SDK that integrates Dash payments into sites, applications and servers via DAPI.

• Frontend team is building the cross-platform reference Evolution Wallet along with other DAPI client projects such as plugins and samples that help 3rd party developers integrate Dash payment and user functions on web and mobile quickly and easily.
Introducing the new positions:

• Nathan Marley: Evolution Tech Lead - Experienced full-stack software engineer with 16 years experience and a strong background in information security, DevOps tools and methodologies, and cloud computing. Nathan has a BSc. in Computer Science and has been working with primarily open-source tech stacks since 2001, and has a strong interest in crypto-currencies and other decentralised technologies.

• Liubov Samusenka: Evolution Project Manager, full time – Luba has 10 years experience in IT management and development in FinTech and Blockchain startups mainly in the online space. Liuobov has a MSc in Computer Science from Belarusian State University.

• Chuck Williams: Tech lead, Head of UX Development, full time – Chuck has 31 years experience developing front-end interfaces for banking, publishing, logistics, legal, and government applications including JavaScript, ActionScript, jQuery, AngularJS, ReactJS, ColdFusion, PHP, NodeJS and MySQL/MSSQL.

• Alex Werner: Tech Lead, backend developer, full time – Alex has 7 years programming experience including JS/NodeJS, PHP, C#, PhoneGap, SQL/NoSQL, System Admin from Front-end jobs for Webmail, Car rental services or Full-Stack jobs on multiple startups (Social Network API, CRM/PIM) to R&D. Alex has a MSc in Computer Science.

• Pierre van Rooyen: Backend Developer, full time – Pierre has 13 years experience after graduating his B.Sc Computer Science & B.Com (Honours) Informatics degrees. His skills include C#, SQL & Mongo on the back-end as well as ASP.NET Web development (with extensive use of Javascript & jQuery)

• Cofresi: Backend Developer, part time - While his academic background is in humanities, Cofresi has been working for 15 years with different technologies in the telecom and value added services industry as a systems administrator and webmaster, for the most part concentrating on client/server backends and database administration. Javascript, NodeJS, SQL.
I am also very pleased to announce that Chaeplin has joined DashCore full time and that we have Darren Tapp, a new contributor on the Evolution whitepaper and technical documentation who has joined the project.

• Chaeplin: Core Tester & Developer, full time – Chaeplin has been with Core team since our Darkcoin days and provides extensive testing, support and network analysis, as well as HW wallet implementations such as Dash MNB. Chaeplin has now taken a full time position within the DashCore team under UdjinM6's leadership.

• Darren Tapp: Technical research & review, volunteer - Darren has 17 years experience teaching math at the college level. He has independently researched bitcoin since 2011, giving this presentation in 2014. Darren is also a co-host and technical writer for Neocash Radio.
Welcome to everyone and i'm very excited to have such a motivated and innovative group of people all working together to improve Dash. With the new positions, 16 developers in the Core team are working full time on the project with many more part time or volunteering, and to have this team approved and funded from the blockchain is in itself a great demonstration of the kind of real decentralization and innovation this space needs to develop usable and scalable p2p cryptocurrency that meets the real-world requirements of mainstream users.

As I mentioned in the previous post, through this month we will be finalizing plans for our future release timetable based around the new team structure and I will publish that when it's ready.

Best,

Andy Freer
CTO
Dash Core Team

Last edited:
Great stuff. Just curious regarding the Evolution software. Will other copy coins be able to implement the Evolution software as soon as it comes out? Any thoughts on this? (first to market advantage etc)

Great stuff. Just curious regarding the Evolution software. Will other copy coins be able to implement the Evolution software as soon as it comes out? Any thoughts on this? (first to market advantage etc)

Yes, because everything we do is released open source as it's paid from the Dash blockchain. I think that's essential, because we're a FOSS project so this is how users can validate and verify the security of the Dash reference implementations and therefore the Dash protocol, improve that or fork it. I don't think there are negative effects that others can copy / clone the code if that's what you're asking, in fact it's a really good thing for crypto in general. It just means we have to continuously innovate to meet the changing market needs and get our product closer to the ideal digital cash for every-day users to stay ahead, but that's all competitive and healthy for the space I think.

Yes, because everything we do is released open source as it's paid from the Dash blockchain. I think that's essential, because we're a FOSS project so this is how users can validate and verify the security of the Dash reference implementations and therefore the Dash protocol, improve that or fork it. I don't think there are negative effects that others can copy / clone the code if that's what you're asking, in fact it's a really good thing for crypto in general. It just means we have to continuously innovate to meet the changing market needs and get our product closer to the ideal digital cash for every-day users to stay ahead, but that's all competitive and healthy for the space I think.
Excellent reply. Thank for that.

but that's all competitive and healthy for the space I think

It's absolutely imperative. I am very pleased to hear your commitment to FOSS. I'm a little shocked at times when I hear from crypto investors who don't understand the value of open source development.

I am curious, does Evan still contribute/review code to the project or has he assumed purely advisory position (something like Gavin Andersen in Bitcoin) ?

Exactly. Open source is the only way. Thanks for clearing it up for others.
People tend to forget that if Bitcoin hadn't been made open source, none of us would be here today on this forum.
Releasing the desire to control is paramount to ultimate life.

the "Evolution Team"

Nathan Marley

Liubov Samusenka

Chuck Williams

excellent equipment practical and safe methods in the p2p structure

- Dash Core Team.

Not trying to be a dick, that seems to be effortless in snowflake land, but, do you guys do stuff other than shuffling HR paperwork anymore?

Chaeplin gets an official full-time add... Under UdjinM6... Im glad to see that. But, are they doing the codes and stuff? Where is the actual development of the product?

What's going on with 12.3/DashDrive? How will it affect MNOs and MN requirements? Where's muh DAPI/light clients?

Nobody really cares about the HR fluff. It's nice that you keep us abreast, but when that kind of stuff is the only news... For months... We wonder what happened to the meat and potatoes, and why we're only being fed leftover tofu.

This is supplemental updates in the "nice to know" category. The "shit that actually matters" category is empty, and has been for a long time... Did you bite off a little more than you can chew? Should you scale back 12.3 to DAPI-based electrum, PS improvements, and universal PS/IS? Is there something serious you're afraid to tell us? You're dropping PS? Still no MN blinding or protection? What's going on?

Last edited:
Back