• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Who should own the mission and vision for the Dash Currency DAO?

Who should own the mission and vision for the Dash Currency DAO?

• Master Node Owners (MNOs)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Dash Core Team

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Logical Mapping of a DAO to Corporation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nontraditional Mapping of a DAO to Corporation (1)

• Nontraditional Mapping of a DAO to Corporation (2)

• Nontraditional Mapping of a DAO to Corporation (3)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I don't care, I'm just here to make money

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
The core team is employed by the masternode owners. If the core team own the mission and vision for the DAO it is still indirectly controlled by the masternode owners, I guess.
Like any other business, we (hopefully) employ the correct people to form a valued mission/vision that we may not be capable of making ourselves.

I'm of the mindset that anyone can control their particular vision for the DAO. What is the end goal for DASH? To become the digital currency of choice for the world economy. There are a myriad of different ways we can achieve this goal, and they can all be pursued simultaneously. In other words, Dash is what you want it to be and explain it to others. Some focus on the technicals, some focus on the economics, others focus on its potential to change the world. They are all a vision for Dash, and they can all be fulfilled at the same time. That's why Dash Nation is so exciting to be a part of.

The core team is employed by the masternode owners. If the core team own the mission and vision for the DAO it is still indirectly controlled by the masternode owners, I guess.
Like any other business, we (hopefully) employ the correct people to form a valued mission/vision that we may not be capable of making ourselves.
But if we become reliant on the core team that's not a good thing because they in the end choose where the currencies next step is

You're over-thinking it, the purpose of a DAO is simply to perform a role in the best way possible. For Dash that role is digital cash and what drives it's strategy is mostly competition. DAOs often seem to be considered as something like decentralised corporations but there's a significant difference, corporations are profit driven while DAOs are non-profit. Maybe that sounds a little crazy but think about it for a mo, what happens if the aim is profit? Improvement and innovation are no longer top priority and if it's more profitable to, say, eliminate competition than compete head-on then that's the path it has to take, it results in building a better predator rather than building the best digital cash possible.

But if we become reliant on the core team that's not a good thing because they in the end choose where the currencies next step is
We still have the power to do something about it if they start taking on a route we don't like.

We still have the power to do something about it if they start taking on a route we don't like.

Agree... However, what competitive edge might me lost if we don't have a clear mission / vision... If we can't form the mission / vision now, who is to say we can do it in the future...

You're over-thinking it, the purpose of a DAO is simply to perform a role in the best way possible. For Dash that role is digital cash and what drives it's strategy is mostly competition. DAOs often seem to be considered as something like decentralised corporations but there's a significant difference, corporations are profit driven while DAOs are non-profit. Maybe that sounds a little crazy but think about it for a mo, what happens if the aim is profit? Improvement and innovation are no longer top priority and if it's more profitable to, say, eliminate competition than compete head-on then that's the path it has to take, it results in building a better predator rather than building the best digital cash possible.

I have to disagree here..... Profit really has nothing to do with this, as you'll see both successful non-profits and for-profits, they all have clear missions and vision statements... Here is the problem that I have right now as a MNO...

Hypothetical, but very possible.

2 proposals, equally good for Dash and funding for one..... Both are 800k USD each... Alt36 (retail based Point of Sale system) just passed. One of the 2 new proposals, has to do with some "Wallet UX integration and 3rd world unbanked outreach" and the other has to do with a "Service based Point of Sale system"..... How should I vote with out a vision? Should we concentrate our efforts on Point of Sale systems or diversify our position with the 3rd world unbanked? We can't have it all... We need to focus on something...

Just a couple statements (owned by some group) that states what we are targeting... Is it: 3rd world unbanked, smart contracts, Point of Sale retail, 1st world unbanked (Cannabis industry), etc... Then I'll be able to vote accordingly, in a educated manor... I don't even care what it is we focus on, but as the saying goes... How do you eat and elephant? One bit at a time. Blockchain technology is an elephant.

Finally, a DAO is not anarchy and organizations need guidance.... The only thing new in a DAO, is the word Autonomous... We have had (DOs) forever. Successful ones have a mission and vision statement.

Next.

change the world

Yes... I agree... Lets name some tech companies that have changed the world...
  • Google - Started w/ a search engine
  • Apple - Started w/ a desktop computer
  • Amazon - Started w/ e-commerce
  • Tesla - Started w/ a car
Did any of them, set out to change the world... Maybe. Did they all start with a vision. Yes.

index.jpeg

Next.

I see the masternodes like shareholders and the core team like the board of directors. Or at least the managers of the core team are. A company where all the decisions were made by the shareholders would never work, because they cant create a vision or make things happen on the ground.

But a healthy company has to hold its directors to account, with regular votes of confidence. We have to work that way to scale, in my opinion.

I see the masternodes like shareholders and the core team like the board of directors. Or at least the managers of the core team are. A company where all the decisions were made by the shareholders would never work, because they cant create a vision or make things happen on the ground.

Ok... Good thoughts here... So, I'm going to guess you would vote for "Nontraditional Mapping of a DAO to Corporation (2)" (attached for ref)... As you see the MNO as shareholders... Am I correct, if not please clarify?

But a healthy company has to hold its directors to account, with regular votes of confidence. We have to work that way to scale, in my opinion.

I agree.... Thanks for the input and hope you vote!

Nontraditional Mapping of a DAO to Corporation (2) .png

I did vote for (2), but then I saw nobody else voted for it, and wondered if it was the same as Dash Core Team, and ended up putting my vote there. I suggest you simplify the options.

I did vote for (2), but then I saw nobody else voted for it, and wondered if it was the same as Dash Core Team, and ended up putting my vote there. I suggest you simplify the options.

I had them simple (first 2 options)... Then it seemed like folks want the other options, so I added them... Now it looks like folks are picking one of the first 2 options... hehehehe
I can't remove them now... Thanks for voting! :D

Back