• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash's Instand Send makes crypto more secure

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
If I understand this correctly, dash's Instant Send defeats the Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) issue that can break bitcoin. I would like someone to clarify this, but my understanding is, Instant Send sidesteps the time between block confirmations and thus prevents forks. If that's the case, then I think this message needs to get out more.

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/04/18/internet-routing-weakness-could-cost-bitcoin-users/

If I understand the article correctly, the same routing attack can be used to disrupt communication between Masternodes. Which, actually, calls for adding IPv6 and .onion masternode interfaces in addition to IPv4.

Well, I'm sure the same technique can disrupt masternodes but I was specifcally thinking of Instant Send because that's attained in just a couple of seconds. It doesn't need all masternodes and there isn't a time gap to cause a fork.

I think it is a lot of trouble to hack BGPs for a measly double-spend attack. Transactions involving huge chunks of money usually aren't time-sensitive and can wait for a lot of confirmations.

Back