• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Observations, ideas, proposals and constructive criticism.

The purpose of this thread is to create a conversation within the Dash space on things probably not spoken of in the open, or suggest solutions to certain thing, or provide a different point of view, give ideas, and so on. I may have possibly thrown things out of proportion by writing this or maybe I have the wrong perspective of things, but so far these are the things I've observed. I am a proud Dash investor and I really like the things that Dash has achieved, I want this project to succeed because this world needs better currency. So here we go:

(Out of all of these observations, the ones that worry me the most are: j, n, t, v)

a) Dash.org needs Customer Service Reps (by phone, chat and e-mail in addition to the forums) many new people do not know how to work with wallets, backups, and so on. Merchants also need CS Reps to attend they’re needs. I believe Dash.org should charge for this service, say a subscription model where one can receive CS Support in exchange for the assistance. A call center would also be beneficial for news/marketing agencies that want to contact Dash.org. Or maybe not charge but accept donations for this service? Or ask customers for their wallet addresses so that way the CS Rep knows that the customers calling are actually invested in Dash.org and is not trolling or wasting CS Rep time.

b) It would be great if Dash.org accepted donations on the website, the YouTube channel, and the social media sites, I would gladly donate a certain amount of Dash each month.

c) Create videos on how to backup, retrieve wallets etc, and place these on the site (at the intro maybe?).

d) It would be fantastic if Dash.org implemented small, constant updates every month or 3 months, to always keep Dash in the back of the investors’ minds, and keep the conversation going. Things in the cryptomarket tend to move really fast, the rate of innovation is very fast, Dash needs to be running at 110% speed 24/7.

e) Dash.org needs a way to accept investors’ money in a direct manner and not only in an indirect manner. Currently if you want to invest in Dash.org you have to purchase the currency and Dash.org receives through the miners additional Dash they can work with, this is an indirect way for Dash to accept investor money. I believe Dash.org should have an indirect and a direct way to receive investor money.

So let me elaborate and give an example: let’s say Joe doesn’t have the money or expertise to purchase and use mining equipment, Joe also doesn’t have 100k to invest in a Masternode, but Joe does have 10k he wants to put to good use, Joe can purchase 100 Dash with those 10k or Joe can invest directly into Dash.org, and Dash.org in exchange give him dividends.

So how would this work: Joe first purchases 100 Dash, and then sends them to Dash.org, and these Dash coins get locked for x amount of time, in exchange Dash.org pays Joe a percentage in return, say 3% in dividends per year (he gets payouts each month) because he is directly invested in Dash.org. If Joe ever decides he wants his Dash coins back, he contacts Dash.org, and Dash.org sends him his 100 Dash coins and terminates giving him his 3% in dividends.

Dash.org would receive way more money in funding than it currently does if it implements the above mentioned.

f) Can privacy be improved upon over say, Monero or Zcash? Is Dash more private than these coins? Not that I really care for privacy but of course there is a market for this. I’ve read arguments about Dash not being private enough. Moving on.

g) Regular people (not masternodes but regular investors) should also be able to fund proposals. So let’s say a proposal does not get passed for X or Y reason, regular investors if they wish to do so should be able to fund a project even if those funds don’t come from Dash.org or isn’t approved by masternodes. Maybe a proposal is too expensive and masternodes down voted, but the community gave the ok and the funds for the proposal, this should be allowed imo. Of course, such proposal should not conflict with the direction of Dash.org.

h) The community should have a way to vote for certain things, not that Dash.org takes the community vote over the masternode votes, but that it is a thing that Dash.org can use as feedback, or reference to understand what the community as a whole wants. Maybe create a system where let’s say for X or Y thing Dash.org needs the vote of the community and Dash members so for example Dash.org has a 25% vote, masternodes a 25% vote, miners 25% and the community 25% vote. This is just an idea.

i) I've read reports where Dash.org is funding exchanges in order for them to put Dash in the exchanges? Dash.org is not a charity. If anyone wants to sell Dash, let them pay for the expenses they have to in order to be able to sell Dash. This is not Dash.org problem. People want Dash and they will go to exchanges that offer Dash, it's that simple. Some clarification on this would be great; I hope these are just rumors. If it’s true, Dash needs to act more capitalistic.

j) I’ve observed some proposals getting approved, and sometimes I just want to cringe. I see all this money flying around from Dash.org to people making proposals and it makes my heart bleed. You guys need to hire full-time accountants to take a look at the expenses Dash.org is incurring and reduce expenses. Also proposals need to be denominated in dollars and not Dash. I see some proposals that were proposed when Dash was at X price and now Dash is more expensive, so that person is going to get the Dash that he needed PLUS the extra because Dash went up in price, this is a big no no, and I see a lot of waste from Dash.org. Also, how is Dash.org keeping people with proposals to their word? There are lots of people around the world with lots of money problems and rent problems that, for a quick buck might write a proposal just to make money, and it all being a fraud.

k) If we want Dash.org to be here for decades or hundreds of years, it has to think of ways of how make cash in the present and the future, a long term plan, services, a store, products to sell, shirts, hats, mugs, mining rigs, trezors, hardware wallets, pcs, computer items in general, and so on, a Dash exchange, retaining transaction fees to Dash.org instead of giving transaction fees to masternodes, possibly increasing the transaction fees a bit higher while staying competitive with the market. There’s many ways to make money.

L) The proposal fee needs to be denominated in USD and not Dash. Right now if anyone wants to make a proposal they have to pay 5 Dash ($500 USD) this is nonsense. This is counter incentivizing to people with good Dash proposals. It use to be $125 USD? The problem with a too high price is nobody will make proposals, the problem with too low price is there will be too many proposals. So I suggest making a model where a person can make let's say 3 proposals a month (so there isn't spam) and it costs a fixed $100 USD to make a proposal. This model would correct spam and it would make only the people that really want to create a proposal to do so as it costs $100 USD.

m) I proposed this to Jerry Banfield on one of his threads, but I will write it here as well for everyone to see: a majority of the population in the US and abroad does not understand what money is, what inflation is, how money is created, the federal reserve, fractional reserve banking, gold, silver, cryptocurrencies, the history of banks and so on. If I knew how to make YouTube videos, I would make them about these topics, and drive people towards Dash afterwards. These are some topics Amanda can cover for those people that still don't understand why Dash is useful in they're lives. (Yes I will start to learn on how to make YouTube videos).

n) Is there any way to patent Dash? It’s a shame Dash.org projects can be forked?

o) Is it possible to reduce the inflation rate so Dash coins go higher in value and thus more investors come into the Dash scene? Dash.org is competing against 700 other cryptocurrencies, any edge Dash can have is paramount. People usually admire price, price gets news, when bitcoin crossed the $1,000 mark it got a ton of news. When it crossed the gold mark, it got even more news. News that was free for Bitcoin. All-time highs also get news.

p) Require miners to hold X amount of coins to make sure these are committed miners in the Dash.org project maybe? This would also increase the price = more publicity. An added bonus is price would be more stable as well.

q) If a cryptocurrency copies Dash, Dash must copy them, it is the law of capitalism, eat or get eaten (they troll us we troll them). There needs to be a research team specifically dedicated to reading about other cryptocurrencies and implementing/adopting the things they have. This is what all large and successful fortune 500 companies do in order to survive, compete and thrive.

r) More voting options on proposals such as: Yes/No/Undecided/Too Expensive/Re-write/ and so on.

s) This part may be controversial, but I care. If Dash.org wants to stay competitive with the top cryptocurrencies, Dash.org needs all the funding it can get, therefore I say funding should work in any of the following ways:

35% masternode, 35% miners, 30% dash.org.

30% masternode, 30% miners, 40% dash.org.

33% masternode, 33% miners, 34% dash.org

or maybe even something totally new: 35% masternode, 35% dash.org, 15% miners, 15% PoS Reward (For the community holding Dash in they're wallets.

or maybe some other model?

Let me explain: if miners get paid less Dash, less miners would want to mine Dash at the current price, therefore the Dash price would have to increase in order for miners to jump in. This is a win win for masternodes and Dash.org because an increase in price is better.

More funding for Dash.org means Dash.org can progress at a faster pace than it currently is (more publicity, more projects, faster rate of projects, more devs), which is actually better for miners and masternodes. Bringing more investors into Dash is a win win win.

So let’s say things got changed to 33% masternode, 33% miners, 34% dash.org. This means that in comparison to the current model, a masternode would get roughly 25% less, miners would get 25% less in order for Dash to obtain 300% more funding? I believe this is a good trade off. More funding for Dash is better for all in the end. The cryptocurrency market is too competitive for Dash.org not to take these things into consideration. I just don't think 10% for Dash is enough taking into consideration all the competition they have.

t) Evolution: this project is amazing… can it be implemented quicker than Q4 of 2017? This will catapult Dash.org to a whole other level. I do have 1 criticism about the way this was announced… if you look online this was announced since the beginning of 2016? That’s not good; it allows other crypto developers time to copy the Dash Evolution project. There needs to be some secrecy.

u) I wanna vote, but why should I have to put my private key in dashcentral in order to be able to vote? I'm sure there's other ways I can vote without having to put my private keys in dashcentral.

v) This worries me a bit, can someone explain? https://bitstats.com/commits

w) Wills: Is there a way for Dash.org to create wills for investors? Can this be implemented in Evolution? Would be great.

Final Thoughts:

These are my 2 cents. Anyone reading can down vote this thread into oblivion if you like. These are my observations, you may or may not agree with the things written here, but that’s ok. I’m pointing out things here that can be worked on or improved upon. I am a Dash Masternode I want this project to succeed, not only because of the investment I made but because this world needs a better currency than what governments give us… theft through fiat.

The Dash project is amazing, I really love the things you guys are doing, all the work, the marketing, the potential that this project has I'm sure is beyond what I can imagine. All my life savings are in Dash :) I am a believer. You guys are about to change the world, and I am sure of that.

Kudos to everyone involved in the Dash project. You guys/gals make me proud. Go get em' Amanda!

Last edited:
fyi
u should have used #1 #2 ... for your postings as nobody will be able to answer i an intelligent way

i try for a couple
i production

we are self funded

available - check wiki - i process of updating

there is a lot of reporting going on - i do not believe we should o more tbh

selffunded
fyi dash.org is just a domain / there is no company - we are a DAO

propably
but as discuss before you will never be 150% private so let's keep it running as is (as far as i know nobody cracked a 8 domintaed transaction so far)

anybody can pick up a "downvoted proposal' contact them direct and finance it !
nobody is holding anybody back - remember what you call dash.org is the network !

#8... running out of steam and will try to be back
(good luck getting 20 questions answered in 1 post :rolleyes:)

That's a lot of feedback!

(Out of all of these observations, the ones that worry me the most are: j, n, t, v)

I'll throw in my 2 duffs on the ones that worry you.

j) wasted dash on dumb proposals
I think that is a legitimate concern, and your suggestion to hire accountants to keep tabs on the proposals is a good one. The MNO network need a comptroller (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comptroller) -- someone who is independent and objective to report on the status and progress of proposals.

n) patent vs open source
I suggest that you read Eric Raymond's book "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar) to get a good understanding of open source software development. Keep in mind that Dash is the result of a fork of Bitcoin. Forks are good things -- it means someone is trying to make an improvement.

t) Evolution roll out
Again, read the Eric Raymond book. The benefits of developing complex software in the open far exceeds the cost/risk of closed source (secret) development.

v) commits
I don't think there is anything there to worry about. It is interesting, but nothing to be concerned about. I suspect that it can be interpreted a variety of ways, depending on your agenda.

One last comment, you seem to be unclear about how the dash community is organized (understandable). As @tungfa pointed out, dash.org is just a domain, it's not a person/people/organization.

They key players in Dash are:

-- The Masternode Operators and their budget voting power

-- The Core Team (https://www.dash.org/team/), which is funded by the MNO network through the budget process. The Core Team operates dash.org and manages Dash development. The key person on the Core Team is @babygiraffe (Ryan Taylor) who receives the funding from the MNO's for the Core Team.

I have a need to double down on letter j after continuing to see certain things being done with the budget proposals.
j) I’ve observed some proposals getting approved, and sometimes I just want to cringe. I see all this money flying around from Dash.org to people making proposals and it makes my heart bleed. You guys need to hire full-time accountants to take a look at the expenses Dash.org is incurring and reduce expenses.
Select the team of independent accountants and make a proposal. Anyone can do it, you don't even have to be a MN.

Hi -- I'd be happy to respond to some of these. These are my own opinions and I do not represent the core team.

a) I believe the team is already working on a more robust solution for tech support/customer service, which will meet the current needs. I do not think that a 24/7 call center is needed at this point, but the customer support will grow as we get more customers.

d) There is already a great deal of reporting going on. There is a monthly report of core team activities that gets posted to the forum (latest one here: https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/february-2017-dash-core-team-monthly-report.13857). There is also a section of the forum where the sole purpose is to be a place for updates on individual projects (https://www.dash.org/forum/topic/project-updates.123/), and there is a quarterly conference call, the most recent one being this one:

g) There is nothing stopping anyone from raising funds for Dash projects on their own, outside of the governance system. Of course, raising money is not always easy but if there is enough support and someone wants to do it, by all means.

h) The best we have at this point is just masternode votes, and informal forum poll/discussions to judge the sentiment in the community. At this stage this seems to be sufficient but I'd be open to hearing ideas on how to improve our ability to measure that --

i) Dash has provided funding for integrations with businesses (including an exchange). The reason we do this is that it enables us to be able to integrate with key businesses earlier than we might otherwise be able to, and this provides Dash with a competitive advantage. Obviously we can't do this for every business, but this is how we can start penetrating the market.

j) Not every proposal that gets funded by the network (not Dash.org), turns out to be a success. We have already had our share of failures as well as successes. Masternodes are incentivized to vote for things that will benefit the network. Over time, as it becomes more difficult to acquire a masternode and we gain experience as a DAO, I believe the quality of masternode vetting of proposals will increase.

L) This is currently being debated and from the looks of things, the proposal fee might be changed soon.

n) As an open source, decentralized project, no. This has many advantages and disadvantages

o) The inflation rate for Dash is already significantly lower than most other cryptocurrencies. I doubt that this will be changed. Keep in mind that the inflation rate automatically decreases every year as well.

p) That's a great idea -- Evan has talked about the idea of collateralized mining a few times in interviews. Functionality like this may still be a long way out but it is something that is on the radar as a possibility, for sure.

q and r) Not bad ideas, IMO

s) I think it's a bit too late to be playing with the block reward allocation like that. 10% for the treasury seems like more than enough at current price levels (this is over $600,000 per month).

t) Evolution is currently being worked on in a private repository and not all information about it has been made public yet -- this I presume is for the reason you mentioned.

u) You do not need to register with dashcentral to vote -- you can vote from your Dash-Core wallet without ever touching dashcentral. Some people use dashcentral for convenience.

v) Not all commits are created equal ;)

fyi
u should have used #1 #2 ... for your postings as nobody will be able to answer i an intelligent way

i try for a couple
i production

we are self funded

selffunded

propably
but as discuss before you will never be 150% private so let's keep it running as is (as far as i know nobody cracked a 8 domintaed transaction so far)

nobody is holding anybody back - remember what you call dash.org is the network !

Thanks. I just took a look tonight at https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki and omg is Dash undervalued. You guys should promote that website more often. The level of detail is amazing :O omg

fyi

i try for a couple
i production

we are self funded

selffunded

propably

Did u create this? https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Site+map

:O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just invested in a diamond level cryptocurrency without knowing it

Hi -- I'd be happy to respond to some of these. These are my own opinions and I do not represent the core team.

a) I believe the team is already working on a more robust solution for tech support/customer service, which will meet the current needs. I do not think that a 24/7 call center is needed at this point, but the customer support will grow as we get more customers.

d) There is already a great deal of reporting going on. There is a monthly report of core team activities that gets posted to the forum (latest one here: https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/february-2017-dash-core-team-monthly-report.13857). There is also a section of the forum where the sole purpose is to be a place for updates on individual projects (https://www.dash.org/forum/topic/project-updates.123/), and there is a quarterly conference call, the most recent one being this one:

g) There is nothing stopping anyone from raising funds for Dash projects on their own, outside of the governance system. Of course, raising money is not always easy but if there is enough support and someone wants to do it, by all means.

h) The best we have at this point is just masternode votes, and informal forum poll/discussions to judge the sentiment in the community. At this stage this seems to be sufficient but I'd be open to hearing ideas on how to improve our ability to measure that --

i) Dash has provided funding for integrations with businesses (including an exchange). The reason we do this is that it enables us to be able to integrate with key businesses earlier than we might otherwise be able to, and this provides Dash with a competitive advantage. Obviously we can't do this for every business, but this is how we can start penetrating the market.

j) Not every proposal that gets funded by the network (not Dash.org), turns out to be a success. We have already had our share of failures as well as successes. Masternodes are incentivized to vote for things that will benefit the network. Over time, as it becomes more difficult to acquire a masternode and we gain experience as a DAO, I believe the quality of masternode vetting of proposals will increase.

L) This is currently being debated and from the looks of things, the proposal fee might be changed soon.

n) As an open source, decentralized project, no. This has many advantages and disadvantages

o) The inflation rate for Dash is already significantly lower than most other cryptocurrencies. I doubt that this will be changed. Keep in mind that the inflation rate automatically decreases every year as well.

p) That's a great idea -- Evan has talked about the idea of collateralized mining a few times in interviews. Functionality like this may still be a long way out but it is something that is on the radar as a possibility, for sure.

q and r) Not bad ideas, IMO

s) I think it's a bit too late to be playing with the block reward allocation like that. 10% for the treasury seems like more than enough at current price levels (this is over $600,000 per month).

t) Evolution is currently being worked on in a private repository and not all information about it has been made public yet -- this I presume is for the reason you mentioned.

u) You do not need to register with dashcentral to vote -- you can vote from your Dash-Core wallet without ever touching dashcentral. Some people use dashcentral for convenience.

v) Not all commits are created equal ;)

Thank you for your time and patience. After having seen this: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Site+map

I'm about to invest even more money into Dash. Holy smokes I'm impressed

Did u create this? https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Site+map

:O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just invested in a diamond level cryptocurrency without knowing it

lol
i did not create everything (but a lot) and obviously there are many many people working on it
we are just starting to finally updating guides and content 12.0 - 12.1 related , there is a lot of content out of date imo (but still works when u know what you are doing / looking for)
we are just starting / testing a new team member who is a pro documentation guy and he will hopefully help us to get this proper
organized/ updated/ eventually translated/....
(can't wait - look at that face: :D)

Earning a profit for Dash needs to be considered rather than funding solely by the treasury. So in the example of a call centre you pay a small amount in dash for certain period of technical support. Payments for any profit related activities should be in dash only which serves as the promotional side for this dash technical support could also offer support to other coins but at a higher cost in dash for example. All sorts of services could be funded that generate profit for dash.

lol
i did not create everything (but a lot) and obviously there are many many people working on it
we are just starting to finally updating guides and content 12.0 - 12.1 related , there is a lot of content out of date imo (but still works when u know what you are doing / looking for)
we are just starting / testing a new team member who is a pro documentation guy and he will hopefully help us to get this proper
organized/ updated/ eventually translated/....
(can't wait - look at that face: :D)

Damn. You and the Dash crew are super humans. I'm very impressed!!! Dash should be tens of billions in market cap right now. I'm glad it isn't :) gives me more time to hoard Dash.

m) a majority of the population in the US and abroad does not understand what money is, what inflation is, how money is created, the federal reserve, fractional reserve banking, gold, silver, cryptocurrencies, the history of banks and so on. (...) These are some topics Amanda can cover for those people that still don't understand why Dash is useful in they're lives.
Fun fact: Did you know Amanda did in fact make videos covering basic economics years ago?

I still don't understand how Dash can become adopted by mainstream users without becoming much less volatile.
And I'm not sure how a crypto currency can become less volatile without government like intervention.

Im against lowering the proposal cost. And i cant afford to even make one. In any case I believe the pricing does set it up so less serious/less thought out proposals dont show their faces.
If one wants to make a proposal bad enough, one can always convince 5 friends to lend you 1 Dash each. When it passes, you pay your friends back (because you priced the proposal cost in).
Done!
In the future, if Dash comes back down in price, maybe you wont need those generous friends.

Im against lowering the proposal cost. And i cant afford to even make one. In any case I believe the pricing does set it up so less serious/less thought out proposals dont show their faces.
If one wants to make a proposal bad enough, one can always convince 5 friends to lend you 1 Dash each. When it passes, you pay your friends back (because you priced the proposal cost in).
Done!
In the future, if Dash comes back down in price, maybe you wont need those generous friends.

Well, at least I spoke my mind on things that maybe many people don't even care to point out. How can a person/organization improve if they don't have feedback? Feedback is good.

You don't wanna give me credit on a point I made and that's cool. Consider the fact that proposals now cost 30% less than last week? Your too funny. Pricing them in USD wouldn't be too bad of an idea, gee, think about it.

Back