• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Lost all my DashCoin

Hi Ya999

Hey all,

I don't really know where I should be posting/who I should be asking. I got into the cryptomarket about 2 years ago in 2014 when Dash was Darkcoin and decided to hold on to enough Dark for a MasterNode. I decided to save about 1020 Darkcoin for a masternode in the future when I had more time. I decided to check up on my funds today because it seemed that Dash was doing quite well and was thinking I might start up a node, but found that my wallet had been emptied... Transaction ID: Xd9JUnepasHsqTm3pdEzBKZXw5Vo79yupQ

I know that there's probably no way to get it back. It seems like some of the funds are sitting in collections of 1000 (possibly in Masternodes?). How is this possible when I secured my wallet with password and didn't touch it for 2 years? I'm legitimately so upset and stressed out at myself right now, I have no clue if there is anything I could be doing, but I'm guessing that it's all gone....

Please if anyone has any suggestions or ideas as to how I should proceed from here I would be very grateful... If someone has an idea of how I would be able to get it back I would be willing to offer a reward as well, but I understand that it's probably gone forever...

I'm just so emotionally distraught and feel like a complete idiot... thanks for taking the time to listen.

Daniel

What's a DashCoin?

Is the blockchian up to date in your client?

Show us the outgoing TXIDs?

How can you trace these funds when we know any self-respecting thief would have mixed it or shapshifted it...

What you say doesn't even make sense unless you fill in these rather glaring blanks. Your story smells like an XMR troll.

Last edited:
Transaction ID: Xd9JUnepasHsqTm3pdEzBKZXw5Vo79yupQ
Does this look like a TXID to you, @demo ?

This is not the only hint of troll stink...

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/address.dws?Xd9JUnepasHsqTm3pdEzBKZXw5Vo79yupQ.htm

The coins were removed from this address only ~550 blocks later... Almost exactly 24 hours after they landed. With perfect calculation, no dust. And it happened a little over 8 months ago.

If this is a result of coin theft, it happened over 8 months ago, and almost immediately after receiving them. Either an XMR troll just picked a random TX to claim was his and make up a story, a not very believable story, or this guy is really sloppy and basically threw his coins away.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Here's a screenshot of my wallet:

upload_2017-2-20_15-3-44.png

camosoul: Sorry, it's just Dash now right? I made and this account back in 2014 when I was paying close attention to Dark Coin. I tried to put the transaction ID into DASH Ninja (I googled the transaction ID and it linked me to the website) and tried to follow the coin trail from there. I promise you that I am not a troll, I'm just very inexperienced because I haven't been keeping up with the news. I can give you the addresses for my previous transactions with MintPal and the other ones in 2014 if that helps? Let me know what other information would help!

demo: How did you find that out? Is there some way I can figure out where the Dash is stored?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hey Crowning,

Thanks for the help, I have downloaded the new dash wallet and replaced the wallet.dat file with the original file. My wallet still has a balance of 0 after waiting for everything to sync and shows that transaction to the unknown address. When I look at the link you posted, the most recent block chain shows a balance of 0 in my address. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

If the wallet above is really yours, you just need to install the latest Dash wallet (you can get it here: https://www.dash.org/get-dash/), copy your original wallet.dat file into the right location (see instructions here: https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1146941) and let the wallet sync.

Your coins are still here, see https://explorer.dash.org/address/Xd9JUnepasHsqTm3pdEzBKZXw5Vo79yupQ
They are not - "Balance: 0"

@Hi Ya999 someone moved ~1020 DASH from your wallet to this address split them few times and sold them, it seems (I haven't followed all txes but some end up on different exchanges).
if Xd9JUnepasHsqTm3pdEzBKZXw5Vo79yupQ is not your address I don't think you can do anything about this other than trying to figure out who had access to your machine in mid 2016 or a bit earlier. If you had you wallet encrypted, you might also need to find out who could possibly see your passwords. And finally you might be a victim of some malware or virus which targets crypto-wallets, but I can't remember one stealing Dash so that would be surprising.

They are not - "Balance: 0"

@Hi Ya999 someone moved ~1020 DASH from your wallet to this address split them few times and sold them, it seems (I haven't followed all txes but some end up on different exchanges).
if Xd9JUnepasHsqTm3pdEzBKZXw5Vo79yupQ is not your address I don't think you can do anything about this other than trying to figure out who had access to your machine in mid 2016 or a bit earlier. If you had you wallet encrypted, you might also need to find out who could possibly see your passwords. And finally you might be a victim of some malware or virus which targets crypto-wallets, but I can't remember one stealing Dash so that would be surprising.

Hey Udjin,

I'm currently thinking the latter is the most likely somehow. In mid 2016 (this summer) I was not at work, was on a break at home. My wallet is on my computer which is password protected (both the machine and the wallet). My laptop stays with me so one one had access to it without my knowledge (and no one borrowed it without me present). They would have to know my password for the wallet AND be able to steal my .dat file correct? :(

@splawik21 . Hey all, spalwik kindly took a look at my wallet/files via Teamviewer. Unfortunately he was unable to restore my coins (thought may have been due to malfunctioning wallet version) although he tried his best over about an hour (thank you again, so much!). He concluded that I was most likely victim of a malware/cryptologger attack and that the coins have already been sold on an exchange. Unfortunately, this means that I will have to bow out of cryptocurrency for good, thanks for all of your help!

That's very sad.. :(
And that's yet another reminder to everyone (myself included) that securing coins is hard...

@splawik21 . Hey all, spalwik kindly took a look at my wallet/files via Teamviewer. Unfortunately he was unable to restore my coins (thought may have been due to malfunctioning wallet version) although he tried his best over about an hour (thank you again, so much!). He concluded that I was most likely victim of a malware/cryptologger attack and that the coins have already been sold on an exchange. Unfortunately, this means that I will have to bow out of cryptocurrency for good, thanks for all of your help!

yes...the exchange was poloniex .... ask there.

Keylogger.

This is why Trezor and Keepkey are a must for any commercial OS; you're pretty much guaranteed that your machine is compromised if you use any OS that "came with the computer." This includes any iPad, iPhone, MAC, any Windows PC, any Android device, Chrome OS.... You have to take security into your own hands, which means you have to learn how.

It needs to be understood that this mode of attack it actually made worse by predictive tech such as BIP32. If a person doesn't have a basic understanding of how to computer, that person is likely going to lose their crypto. This is why reaching down is bad. We should be teaching people not to use the hair dryer in the shower, not trying to invent a waterproof hair dryer.

This did not have to happen. He could have been educated. But, due to a lack of education, he has given away roughly $23,000.

This is entirely his own fault. But, if DASH were making an effort to educate, instead of insulate, this guy could have kept his money. Snowflake protectionism ends badly every time. Be it their own actions, or those of someone taking advantage.

There is no substitute for education and responsibility. If you believe that being clueless and irresponsible is a birthright, you're gonna have a bad time. People with that attitude need to be hammered with some hard facts, or they're going to learnt he hard way like this guy... I get the feeling this guy was not a bratty snowflake, but was simply robbed of a basic education by the general attitude of trying to keep on protecting people from reality instead of exposing them to it.

Last edited:
Yeah, @tungfa, everything that dares to point out the spideweb effect of gross negligence is trolling. You're not part of the problem, you are the problem.

Just because you are unable to comprehend a problem, does not mean that it does not exist.

hey @Hi Ya999
sorry for the loss of you coins

you should investigate how it was possible - what system was it ? (Window, Linux, ...)
Take a check with this tool if you have some malware on your computer: www.superantispyware.com
...It would be interesting to see the report.
Do you use some kind of anti virus software? If it is Windows MS Defender offers some basic security.
How long and how difficult were your passwords? (http://tinyurl.com/bo3em7e)
Have you used the same password for wallet and system?
Which other applications did you run on the computer?
Have you secured the internet browser by restricting Javascript?
Was the computer switched on and internet connected when the transaction was done?
Who administered the system?

By the way - I would not trust Teamviewer to much on the serviced site. Basically it allows incoming connections to take over your system literally and it is not open source.

Last edited:
Back