• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Some details regarding – Sunday, February 5th, long-awaited 12.1 Release

tungfa

Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator

The new binaries, along with documentation, will be available in www.dash.org.

Mining pools
The information needed to the upgrade is available at https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Mining+pools

Masternodes
New hardware requirements and upgrade guides will be available at https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Masternode+Update

Users / Exchanges
Basic upgrade guide will be available upon release.

Support about the update
Should you have any question about the update, we recommend either:

-#dash_support_desk channel at the Dash Nation Slack (public, cummunity-driven Slack, you can sign up here)

-Official forum support section.

https://www.dash.org/news/some-deta...easing-the-long-awaited-12-1-version-of-dash/

What does minimum disk = 20GB mean for masternodes?

Will 12.1 run on my 10GB VPS?

TIA for any hints, Peter

What does minimum disk = 20GB mean for masternodes?

Will 12.1 run on my 10GB VPS?

TIA for any hints, Peter

Meaning = Disk space
10 GB is minus - 20 GB recommended
in heavy usage 10 GB might not be enough - and your MN might drop off Network
(as of "not enough space')

No, on the support page it's "recommended = 40GB" and "minimum = 20GB".

sorry my mistake (just woke up) yes 40 GB Disk Space !

When could this happen? Today, the disk usage of my masternode is about 3GB...
With 12.1 there is much more Data flying around (Sentinel and such) !
if you will be on 20 and your MN drops of - you know why ;) (40 recommended)

I came across this strange sentinel behavior, if rpcpassword in dash.conf includes special characters

for example (part of the rpcpassword)
rpcpassword=:-{Y6\^\7Z[9Hc"5S%Afkr|3l

prevents sentinel.py from running.

using
./venv/bin/py.test ./test

pointed me in right direction. So I am putting it up here just in case someone stumbles upon the same problem.

So just use rpcpassword without special (not sure which, might be that just \ is the problem) characters.

-- full error thrown by sentinel.py --

venv/bin/python bin/sentinel.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bin/sentinel.py", line 209, in <module>
main()
File "bin/sentinel.py", line 144, in main
if not is_dashd_port_open(dashd):
File "bin/sentinel.py", line 132, in is_dashd_port_open
info = dashd.rpc_command('getinfo')
File "lib/dashd.py", line 42, in rpc_command
return self.rpc_connection.__getattr__(params[0])(*params[1:])
File "lib/dashd.py", line 31, in rpc_connection
return AuthServiceProxy("http://{0}:{1}@{2}:{3}".format(*self.creds))
File "/home/p2pool/.dashcore/sentinel/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/bitcoinrpc/authproxy.py", line 86, in __init__
self.__url = urlparse.urlparse(service_url)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urlparse.py", line 143, in urlparse
tuple = urlsplit(url, scheme, allow_fragments)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urlparse.py", line 191, in urlsplit
raise ValueError("Invalid IPv6 URL")
ValueError: Invalid IPv6 URL

-- end --

One more thing.

step 10) check your dash.conf for a masternodeaddr entry

At this point you have two copies of dash.conf, one in .dash and another in .dashcore.

I think the one they want you to edit is the one in .dashcore.

This was not obvious to me.

I updated both, just to be sure.

I have been trying to follow the upgrade instructions as they have been getting revised. I think they were not tested before they were posted.

step 10) launch dashd in reindex mode

dashd -reindex​

It's not clear at what point we switch from “dashd -reindex” to “dashd”. I get various error messages in either case.

I have been trying to follow the upgrade instructions as they have been getting revised. I think they were not tested before they were posted.

step 10) launch dashd in reindex mode

dashd -reindex​

It's not clear at what point we switch from “dashd -reindex” to “dashd”. I get various error messages in either case.

once you start -index
it continues until complete
across interrupted launches

What's the trouble?

Thanks for the response.

I managed to get the new dashd working, finally. I deleted everything and started again, following the revised instructions.

Previously, I was using monit to start dashd after the machine rebooted, and if it ever died.

It's not clear from the instructions if I need to do something similar now. And if so, should it be starting “dashd -reindex” or “dashd”.

Maybe the new program “sentinel” replaces monit? instructions don't say.

Here's what I did.

Masternode was online. I rebooted the server. After the reboot, I waited for the sentinel cron job to run. After it ran, the output in ~/.dashcore/sentinel/sentinel-cron.log says:

[Errno 111] Connection refused
Cannot connect to dashd. Please ensure dashd is running and the JSONRPC port is open to Sentinel.

From this we conclude that the sentinel cron job does not replace monit. We still need to restart dashd after the machine reboots.

Presumably, since reindexing was already completed, we should start it as dashd and not as dashd -reindex.

Here's what I did.

Masternode was online. I rebooted the server. After the reboot, I waited for the sentinel cron job to run. After it ran, the output in ~/.dashcore/sentinel/sentinel-cron.log says:

[Errno 111] Connection refused
Cannot connect to dashd. Please ensure dashd is running and the JSONRPC port is open to Sentinel.

From this we conclude that the sentinel cron job does not replace monit. We still need to restart dashd after the machine reboots.

Presumably, since reindexing was already completed, we should start it as dashd and not as dashd -reindex.

Yes, -reindex is a maintenance function that takes a long time to complete and is only needed in special cases, it needs to be done for updating from 12.0 to 12.1 but after that start normally with no arguments after dashd.

Back