• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

We're under attack

stan.distortion

Maybe, maybe not but the wider online community has been in a real shitstorm for the last few days and attempts to break apart the community are more or less inevitable at some stage. Make no mistake, Dash is one of the most dangerous projects in the world today. Cryptocurrencies are a real threat to the most powerful institutions in the world and Dashes governance model adds an additional threat to conventional structures, the way governments and corporations operate. Crypto can do money better, DAOs can do organisation better and the scale of disruption possible with both those together is inconceivable.

What can we do about it?
Get smart, fast. How many new Slacks have been created in the last 48 hours? I think it's about 4 but it's hard to keep track and by any conventional measure that would signal a community breaking apart but this isn't a conventional hierarchical project and that kind of division isn't a weakness, in a distributed project it's a strength.

How so? Long answer, read this:
https://falkvinge.net/files/2013/04/Swarmwise-2013-by-Rick-Falkvinge-v1.1-2013Sep01.pdf
Short answer, we all want this project to grow and we can all contribute something to making that happen.

Divisions are good, groups just big enough to get on well and work together. When a group gets too big there's a natural tendency to divide, disagreements and tensions start and its time to put a bit of distance between the two sides, agree to disagree and each get on with their own thing. Let it go on too long and it becomes bitching and infighting and that's toxic to the whole project, it achieves nothing and the end result is everyone taking a step back and doing nothing for fear of getting flamed.

That's a natural process, others may try to influence and encourage it but it happens regardless. Recognising when it's happening and distancing ourselves from the toxic element renders it harmless and allows the project to grow exponentially. There will always be disagreements and by themselves they're not a threat but getting drawn into them and helping them spread is a threat to the entire project, it effects everyone.

I would like to see a MN only forum i.e. enforced through signatures or simply placing a unique password at the MN ip address so it can be readily verified. This way, when people like me kick off, it doesn't give newbies the wrong impression.

I would like to see a MN only forum i.e. enforced through signatures or simply placing a unique password at the MN ip address so it can be readily verified. This way, when people like me kick off, it doesn't give newbies the wrong impression.

I'd kind of agree but you end up with an insiders and outsiders situation and that causes it's own tensions, we already see a bit of that kind of situation with both the core development Slack and the high barrier to entry in the governance process (masternode ownership) and imho furthering it could be too much. That pdf is well worth reading btw, it's not all that long and covers lots of those kind of situations and when I read through it there where a lot of points that where obvious when pointed out but would never have occurred to me otherwise. I'm not endorsing the Pirate Party in linking it btw or even trying to suggest it outlines a perfect system but it does do a good job of explaining some of the kind of issues a project like Dash faces and a real world example of how some of those issues can be overcome and even turned into strengths.

I may be shooting myself in the foot a bit here, but I feel it's worth pointing out that everyone is always welcome on IRC (Freenode #dashpay). It's pretty quiet, but we all seem to get along quite well. Every once in a while our resident troll (dnaleor) tries to get us to feed him, but since he has no valid points or interesting technical topics, he receives no food and goes back to his cave. ;)

FWIW, no amount of attacks or drama will ever make me abandon this project. Proper P2P digital cash FTW! :D

Back