• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Dash ATM Master Compliance Program - Phase I

We need FIAT gateways to grow, and that will require a level of compliance.

Once you have your crypto, thats where the compliance stops. You are free to use it as u please in private.

I understand the philosophical objections, but we need to be pragmatic. We need to take some risks and try things out.

@babygiraffe are u thinking BTC & Dash, or just Dash with these ATMs?
BTC and Dash. BTC will initially be where all of the volume would come from. Lacking BTC support - with or without a compliance program - is a non-starter for any operator and we would see no adoption of the program. The idea is to co-opt existing operators and entice any new ATM deployments that would otherwise only offer BTC into offering both BTC and DASH.

Offering BTC is also good for Dash... you will have customers that are there to buy BTC - customers who are not only familiar with cryptocurrency, but are actually using it - being exposed to Dash each time they transact. Every time they use the ATM, they will get another exposure to Dash, and many will seek to learn about it. We believe this would be more effective at expanding our market than Dash-only machines.

Which States are you targeting for Phase 1?
Phase 1 just does documentation. Specific states are targeted in Phase 2. Frankly, I think this is backwards. There is nothing stopping us from picking 20 ATM owners right now - before we spend a single Duff on Phase 1. We may find there simply is no market demand.

Keep letting them completely waste the budget on things like this, and when the entire project collapses, I'm going to laugh my ass off and short the shit out of it when the time comes
No offence @TheDashGuy but I can see these kind of "prophetic" statements since at least the beginning of the year. And what the facts say:
chart.png

I think it is definitely time to change this narration.

BTC and Dash. BTC will initially be where all of the volume would come from. Lacking BTC support - with or without a compliance program - is a non-starter for any operator and we would see no adoption of the program. The idea is to co-opt existing operators and entice any new ATM deployments that would otherwise only offer BTC into offering both BTC and DASH.

Offering BTC is also good for Dash... you will have customers that are there to buy BTC - customers who are not only familiar with cryptocurrency, but are actually using it - being exposed to Dash each time they transact. Every time they use the ATM, they will get another exposure to Dash, and many will seek to learn about it. We believe this would be more effective at expanding our market than Dash-only machines.
Good strategy. So what incentive would there be for an existing operator to buy a new machine if he already owns one?

Phase 1 just does documentation. Specific states are targeted in Phase 2. Frankly, I think this is backwards. There is nothing stopping us from picking 20 ATM owners right now - before we spend a single Duff on Phase 1. We may find there simply is no market demand.

Is that states as in nations around the world or states as in the United States?

Which States are you targeting for Phase 1?
Part of Phase I will be to investigate which states would make for ideal pilots. The law firm has pointed out that NY may be a particularly difficult state to meet compliance, so might be one of the most costly to implement something. So a place like NY would not be ideal for the pilot purposes.

Our ingoing hypothesis is that Arizona should be one of the states, though, both because it should be a middle-level amount of regulation and because both Evan and I are located here and could run one or two pilot machines (which gives a couple of members of the core team personal experience with them and ability to better participate in testing). I personally would not want to own one normally, but am willing to buy one for the pilot and run it for a while.

Good strategy. So what incentive would there be for an existing operator to buy a new machine if he already owns one?
It would allow existing Lamassau operators to convert their existing machines to our software stack. It would also provide an incentive for operators of other machine manufacturers to begin replacing their existing footprint with Lamassau / Dash ATMs and any new network expansion on the Lamassau machines (especially as they enter new states). Certainly not all operators, but some would see the value in migrating over time. I don't think they would be likely to rip out and replace existing non-Lamassau branded machines that are working just fine.

Ha, and when I suggested to co-opt bitcoin users by incorporating a bitcoin HD wallet (SPV) in Evolution, it was rejected! Now, apparently, it's a good idea to spend unlimited money on this instead?

If bitcoin users could gain some of the benefits of Evolution (simplicity), they'd convert to dash because it has transaction locking etc. How much money to implement that compared to this?

Camosoul is right. So many people forget why they got into crypto in the first place. Permissionless is one of cryptos key pillars.

Okay, so people can do stuff in parallel, then sure, go ahead and do it with your own money. Raise the money separately, crowdfund it, keep a good distance, and then I'm interested.

It is possible that no one spurns "compliance" more than I. Even the definition of the word -- to give in to the demands of another -- is kinda repulsive to me.

That said -- for some reason I may never understand -- many and perhaps *most* people don't feel the way I do about it. They think it's a-okay, even swell. A helluva way to prevent bad guys from doing bad things!

This is a fact I have to live with.

So I guess if lots and lots of our potential customers get wet panties just thinking about how many bad guys they're gonna stop with their "compliance", maybe we oughtta just give them what they want. As a business decision.

Ha, and when I suggested to co-opt bitcoin users by incorporating a bitcoin HD wallet (SPV) in Evolution, it was rejected! Now, apparently, it's a good idea to spend unlimited money on this instead?

If bitcoin users could gain some of the benefits of Evolution (simplicity), they'd convert to dash because it has transaction locking etc. How much money to implement that compared to this?
I think the situations are different for several reasons. First, one is an official Dash product, while this project is a means to encourage third party operators to integrate Dash. Having a crypto ATM without supporting Bitcoin is a non-starter for operators. They aren't going to leave their largest market behind. So if we want to entice them to use our software stack, we simply have to offer Bitcoin.

Second, incorporating Bitcoin into Evolution isn't likely to attract Bitcoin users that otherwise wouldn't consider Dash... there are plenty of other Bitcoin wallets that provide as good of an experience as can be offered with Bitcoin's underlying technology stack already out there. Without any value-add, Bitcoin-only users would see little incentive to use the Dash wallet and the added effort to incorporate Bitcoin would be mostly wasted (no matter how much or little the amount of money was). There would certainly be some Dash users that would value the integration, but not the other way around. We are choosing instead to focus on deploying Evolution swiftly.

We need FIAT gateways to grow, and that will require a level of compliance.

Once you have your crypto, thats where the compliance stops. You are free to use it as u please in private.

I understand the philosophical objections, but we need to be pragmatic. We need to take some risks and try things out.

Amen.

This proposal has my yes votes.

this project is a means to encourage third party operators to integrate Dash.
It's a solution in search of a problem.

I get it. I do. But who needs it? What will it do for DASH? You're essentially just encouraging people to sell their DASH and use fiat, and continue not to bother mentioning DASH to Vendors, which, in turn, gives vendors no reason to accept DASH, or even find out what it is... This project discourages the one, ultimate thing that DASH should be doing instead!

It's a really convoluted excuse to give timid nerds who are afraid to talk to anybody the placebo feelz of actually doing something when they're not actually doing something... Like "awareness" campaigns... they get to spend money that isn't their's and has no obvious consequences... Instead of going outside and talking to vendors they already know about DASH. I'm starting to think that feeding off of the fact that your community doesn't do anything real is part of the game... They'll just keep giving you free money for nothing, and you get richer. I really, really don't want to have that thought, but I'm not a fool, so I have to consider it.

I'll even go so far as to say that I'm not totally opposed to the idea. I just want to see some grown-up priorities set. I think it would be kinda cool if there were terminals that pulled my primitives off of the blockchain/DashDrive and I could use nothing but my password to access my DASH. No need to even have my Trezor... Any DASH terminal could do what I need.

....but, only if I'm intent on not using DASH and not in any way encouraging retail adoption... Where all of this compliance is already done, so nothing new, no new fees, no new problems... So, even that is still a fail. Also, I wouldn't want to risk there being a malevolent "independent operator" that would keylog, etc... I wouldn't use that feature, no matter how cool it seems, because I'm not an idiot. Plenty of idiots that would think it's a great thing tho, I'll give you that. But, really, I think you're just asking for "I lost my money" whiners to give you a bad name... It's like a cloud trezor... Smart people do not want!

the priority should be on how IX can cut all the nonsense out altogether. Not using placebo on the clueless do-nothings pulling the purse strings for you to pump your pork with feel-good projects that actually undermine DASH's goals instead of promoting them... This is bad for DASH, and you're preying on the fools who don't know any better. Sure, you'll probably get the yes votes from the yes men... Winning the vote doesn't mean winning for the project. Popularity contests with total disregard for what's good and bad... That's what this has become and it's pathetic. Rubes can't be taken seriously by business.

Last edited:
"Complete" is a binary and this is anything but, it's potentially an endless task to cover every region or set of regulations and that's the bit that worries me most, all this stuff is potentially a budgetary black hole. Covering it stage by stage is worthwhile imho, get somewhere like Berlin with a large crypto awareness covered and it could do a huge amount for adoption and pave the way for all of Europe. Maintanence costs are a concern though, a lot of this crap is aimed at "boosting the economy", ie. fecking expensive red tape that goes on being expensive year after year, imho phase 1 is working out the initial and ongoing costs and phase 2 is paying the most cost effective of them.
Especially when there is a path that DASH was made for taking, which nobody else can take, which also completely eliminates the need for all this mess, waste spending on do-nothing work... It's just porking for the king's buddies... Making DASH a real thing is not on their to-do list, and it's become painfully obvious... Either they just want to piggy bank off the MNO rubes, or they genuinely don't understand their own creation...

Have we already made a research about "market demand" for "Phase II"?
I mean: do we already have these "limited number of community members" who are ready to buy (themselves) these 20 ATMs and waiting for the result of "Phase I"?

In other words: Before spending 10.000 USD on "Phase I - Documentation" - we must be sure that we have potential customers for "Phase II - Buying ATMs"
And we must be sure: do they really need this "Documentation"? Or maybe they would prefer other kinds of help with establishing DASH ATM's Network?

Thanks.
Shit! The community won't even buy a $200 soda machine!

But the cost isn't the barrier. It's timid nerds who can't even be asked to talk about DASH to the vendors they already frequent.

this project not only doesn't have a real purpose or use, it actually fosters that failure to bring vendors into the fold or consider any of the vendors' needs or interests. It lets the MNO rubes feel like they're doing something while actually shooting themselves int he foot.... But they're too simple in the head to reason that far, and are being taken advantage of because the submitters know it...

Look at the "promotional" proposals that have been approved. the so-called "promoters" of DASH know only one thing; that there's a bunch of rubes they can get money from, and they want to spread the word about tha to their buddies so they can get on the pork train, too! Ask them about Proof of Service, they ahve no clue. Ask them about Masternodes, they have no clue. Ask them about IX/IS, they have no clue. Ask them about PS/DS, they have no clue. Yet they're promoting DASH? Really? No, they're just promoting a pork train run by rubes who don't actual govern a damn thing because the projects roll on as the king desires regardless... BUSINESSES ARE WATCHING AND YOU'RE MAKING FOOLS OF YOURSELVES! This is why they don't want to adopt you. Rubes may not be intentionally malevolent, but they're too foolish to be trusted.

MasterNodes make you feel big and important, but you're really just SuckerNodes.

It is possible that no one spurns "compliance" more than I.
That's unlikely. I answer to no one. Ever. ;-)

My point is that all this compliance is already done in retail, and DASH was made for retail. Which conveniently cuts out all of this crap.

Why figure out how to do complicated X, when you can simply sidestep X altogether... Still be doing all the needed compliance, because it's already been done!

Why do it again when it's already done? Why ad more complexity? Why add more middle-men? Why add more fees? Why discourage adoption? Why fool around with all this crap when you can very easily skip it all because that's exactly what DASH was designed to do?

I think it is definitely time to change this narration.[/USER]
So, your rebuttal to doing nothing useful, in a coin that was originally about doing useful things, is "Muh Pump! Your argument is invalid! We'll continue to do notihng at all useful with the features developed because Muh Pump! Doing nothing works!"

The fact is that DASH has completely stagnated and is resting on it's laurels. I don't mean the coders, they're kicking ass. I mean the business development that is going nowhere, and continues to consider the most ridiculous directions that can't do anything but pork themselves up...

Reality is that you've now garnered a lot of attention, and this vacuum will no long go unfilled. You will step the fuck up, or someone will replace you. You are staring at your Ouija Board failing to realize that all it's really done is paint a taget on your back, and you're handing them the perfect opportunity to stab you...

You guys have no experience at all and it shows. The only thing that keeps you in your positions of nerd power, is the fact that the rubes you lead along are even more clueless and would rather be offended by my saying so than grow the fuck up.

You're no longer flying under the radar. You absolutely MUST grow up NOW or you WILL be replaced by those who do understand and are willing to fill the vacuum that you're leaving wide open... DASH will be copied, or at least it's features, which you have left to rot on the vine for over a year now.

Last edited:
Back