• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Ethereum hard fork countdown clock

What will the Ethereum price do after a successful hardfork?

• go up a little

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • go up a lot

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • remain the same

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • go down

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

Sub-Ether

http://slacknation.github.io/medium/11/11.html

50 million dollars of DAO was stolen but can not be accessed due to the delayed 'smart' contract nature of the Ethereum code, if this was dumped on the market quickly the price of Ethereum would plummet when it is exchanged for the DAO.
They are past the first hardfork deadline of the 15th July and the second one that can not be missed is on 20th July, its never been done before like this and they are still testing it and need the miners to update ASAP in order to support the direction of the none backwards compatable hard fork.

If you want market volatility and fancy playing the markets long and short, then this clock might help, trading will continue on exchanges.
Strangely it was decided by the big exchanges to wait for the correct chain and stop withdrawals and deposits temporarily but now they have changed and are going to allow 2 chains to coexist and allow people to withdraw on the 'wrong' chain, sounds a bit dangerous eh?
https://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/4t2jfq/security_the_oldtonewchain_replay_attack_and_the/

Its debatable whether the Eth team should rewrite/erase blockchain history and 'steal' back the buggy contracts that can be spent after the 20th July but the community vote appears to be final.
http://carbonvote.com/

In more detail, the splitting of the contracts has already begun ..
https://np.reddit.com/r/ethereum/co...karapetsas_the_earliest_eth_can_leave/d4rwnec

''If we wait after the 15th of July, that's when the first split DAO (https://live.ether.camp/account/d4fe7bc31cedb7bfb8a345f31e668033056b2728) will be able to get some money out via a legit split. Once that happens any HF will need to start adding exceptions for all legit splits that take money out. That is why the tweet mentions the 15th of July.

The first "dark" ETH (https://live.ether.camp/account/304a554a310c7e546dfe434669c62820b7d83490) can go out at the earliest on the 30th of August if there is no counter performed. That is due to the Dark DAO closing period: 14-Jul-2016 05:34:48 +02:00 + 7 days for a split + 27 days for the creation phase of yet another DAO + 14 days for a proposal to get all the funds out of the new DAO.

So in short there are choices even in the deadlines for a HF. But any HF after the 15th of July would end up being more complicated than an HF before the 15th.''

Last edited:
It's quite interesting that a token from the 'wrong' fork could be a valuable curio...
Vman's influence on this has been quite revealing.
DASH is certainly a superior product.
Best
rc

Cornell's top computer whiz,
http://hackingdistributed.com/2016/07/19/how-ethereum-hard-fork-can-fail/
  • The critical weakness of the refund engine is its dependence on the inviolability of the DAO's token management, discussed next.
  • The current implementation relies on the integrity of the old DAO's token management. I find this quite dangerous. Philosophically, if we were unrolling the hard fork solely because "a hacker took advantage of a small reentrancy bug," then it would make sense to rely on the old token accounting -- after all, the old DAO would be perfectly fine, save for one minor glitch, and we'd be fixing just that one minor glitch. But that's not true and that's not why I advocated a hard fork. In fact, this kind of case-by-case, narrow thinking is precisely what got us into trouble. I believe the hard fork is called for because the old DAO is bug-ridden at multiple levels. Consequently, my starting assumption, that we treat the entirety of the old DAO as untrustworthy, motivates a different strategy...

reg the price
I think it will keep going (up) as this is not about the tech anymore but all about greed ....
until that bubble pops for real ;)
best day trade I've had for ages, 24 minutes until history is rewritten and 12 million Eth are refunded (the word 'bailout' is not allowed to be used on the forum, lol)

best day trade I've had for ages, 24 minutes until history is rewritten and 12 million Eth are refunded (the word 'bailout' is not allowed to be used on the forum, lol)

I do not agree with that whole thing at all (betting on dead horses) but I am happy for u ;)

...So, we won't see you margin trading crypto and shorting stocks in the near future ?

:)
rc
Just to let you know that 'betting' forked ethereum on certain popular exchanges will result in getting free ethereum classic coins, its happened twice to me now on different exchanges, I think the transaction is copied on both chains but you only pay once, lets see if anyone notices ;)
Is this like a double spend then if there are 2 chains?

Last edited:
;)
Is this like a double spend then if there are 2 chains?

From what I know, which is quite little, there are a significant number of whales behind eth and the crowd funded the DAO.
...And I do not disagree with the concepts they represented with their inception...

Now they have lost all credibility.
It will be interesting to watch and see just how much those whales really want their project to succeed, and just how many of the general public will continue to view it as a serious project.

I will admit to speculating.
It's like betting on the zombie olympics.

Since the time we all became aware of Mary Shelley, re-animation of the deceased has been for entertainment only.

Best
rc

Last edited:
From what I know, which is quite little, there are a significant number of whales behind eth and the crowd funded the DAO.
...And I do not disagree with the concepts they represented with their inception...
Now they have lost all credibility.
It will be interesting to watch and see just how much those whales really want their project to succeed, and just how many of the general public will continue to view it as a serious project.
I will admit to speculating.
It's like betting on the zombie olympics.
Since the time we all became aware of Mary Shelley, re-animation of the deceased has been for entertainment only.
Best
rc
There be a crazy amount of money flying around, competing random cross chain transactions sounds messy to me, this will probably strengthen Dash even more, there were 1 or 2 devotees quoting Dash as being a more stable investment and they were thinking of switching over.
IMO, 1 thing Dash and Ethereum have in common is that there is a powerful group of people that want both to fail.

Regards.

this will probably strengthen Dash even more, there were 1 or 2 devotees quoting Dash as being a more stable investment and they were thinking of switching over.

Very true.
Hopefully sooner than later, the general public will become aware DASH does have utilitarian value in providing service.

Today, however, I have come up against a 'glitch in the matrix'.
At Poloniex, the DASH market was controlled by an HFT Bot for 8+ hours.
I had no clue what the value of my DASH was. Only that someone operating a Bot had determined where the value should remain.

This is a major crisis for DASH and something should be done to rectify this at the highest level with a higher priority than anything else.

I shall write up a separate thread in an attempt to bring this obstacle to the attention of everyone by collecting my thoughts in one place for consideration.

Best
rc

Back