• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

www. + dash.org = 8 characters, why?

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
Why is dash.org redirectiing to www.dash.org? What's the point of blowing 20K on a 4 letter domain and then making it an 8 character domain? Don't you think that "www." is so last decade?

could be because the SSL security cert is associated with the www. and not with the non www. - But I might be wrong on that so don't quote me. I just type dash in my browser and it does the rest for me :)

Everybody can type in just dash.org - it is working (redirecting) - so no problems with number of characters...

www.dash.org is perfect for any promo material - without additional "htts://", "this is the URL", "please visit our site" and so on...

If people see www. - they quickly and automatically understand that it's URL they can type in browser (with or without www.)

I am not seeing what the big deal is, either. That's just a "prefix" that stands for "World Wide Web" and granted, that "prefix" doesn't get used as much as it used to, but it doesn't amount to a huge overhead.

In that case, might as well of gone with "dashpay" if the number of characters doesn't matter, would of been more searchable

...I should also point out, "dashtalk.org" doesn't bother with a "www."

the www. prefix is setup in the dns to appear or not appear, it doesn't really affect SEO unless its all botched. I type in dash.org and it all works. And there is no way to be #1 in google for "dash" because there are already quite a few established websites, it will take some time and a shitload of traffic to fix that.

Since we are on the topic of dash.org, I went ahead and scanned the website using Qualys SSL Lab Server Test. I'm sure it's not a huge deal but we got a C grade. You can see the results in this link here - https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=dash.org

Since I was there I ran the same test on darkcointalk which also got a C grade on both servers listed.

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/ana...rg&s=2a01:7e00:0:0:f03c:91ff:fe73:deb1&latest

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=dashtalk.org&s=85.159.209.13

Not sure if this means anything but wanted to point it out.

Wouldn't it be more efficient on the client if it didn't redirect? If you go to dash.org or dash.org/team etc the server sends a redirect header back to the client and the new page is requested, right? uggh, fighting a losing battle...

You're fighting against the way the internet works is why.
They're called third level domain's and are pretty standard.

There is no ssl certificate for dash.org, only a wildcard cert for *.dash.org.
This wildcard allows use across a variety of hosts such as:
(examples only)
ftp.dash.org
ajax.dash.org
api.dash.org
etc.

the redirect is a standard way to send you to a domain that:
a) indicates it's a web-server host (www) (per third level domain best practices) and
b) has a matching wildcard ssl cert. (because buying two is wasteful and unnecessary)

HTH

Since we are on the topic of dash.org, I went ahead and scanned the website using Qualys SSL Lab Server Test. I'm sure it's not a huge deal but we got a C grade. You can see the results in this link here - https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=dash.org
  1. This server is vulnerable to the POODLE attack. If possible, disable SSL 3 to mitigate.
  2. This server accepts RC4 cipher, but only with older protocol versions.
  3. The server does not support Forward Secrecy with the reference browsers.
At least 1. and 2. are VERY easy to fix because they are simple configuration settings.
3. depends on the HTTP-server used.

Pinging DCT

1. This server is vulnerable to the POODLE attack. If possible, disable SSL 3 to mitigate.
At least 1. and 2. are VERY easy to fix because they are simple configuration settings.

Pinging DCT

pst. protip.is needs some notice, just in case you guys stumble upon a genius way to do the same thing within dash wallets, we should work on this because I need a good tool to give everyone easy Dash! I want to literally handout Dash to people over the next year and we have no way to tip :[

I know this is offtopic lol but I had to :p

Thanks for being a boss!

Pinging DCT

fixed. ;) Thanks for the notify!

upload_2015-12-22_18-28-38.png

added to all ssl sites on the server
Code:
        SSLProtocol ALL -SSLv2 -SSLv3
        SSLCipherSuite EECDH+AESGCM:EDH+AESGCM:AES256+EECDH:AES256+EDH

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-22_18-28-27.png
    upload_2015-12-22_18-28-27.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 78