• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

v0.11.0 - Darkcoin Core Release

Refusing to update the nodes is not helping us. Evan is the lead dev and this is the way he works. I can sacrifice 10 min a day to update my nodes even if I might loose a payment or 2, because my goal is not a few $ but to get thousands out of it. What is Evans motivation going to be if he see people refusing to cooperate.
Now I do understand and agree we need a bigger stronger testnet but as for now we do not have it and we should do as devs ask.
Peace.

What would have happened if everybody updated to 11.0 within 30 minutes of release?

What would have happened if everybody updated to 11.0 within 30 minutes of release?
There would have been less grief from older versions pushing conflicting data. :grin:

I think it is remarkable just how much backwards-compatability Evan has maintained given the pace of development. I'm just opining that at some point you need to stop wasting time on the laggards and move on, because some people will never update unless they absolutely have to - for example a lot of the mining pools when MN payments were unenforced.

Last edited by a moderator:
There would have been less grief from older versions pushing conflicting data. :grin:
To be honest: If "conflicting data" is giving v11 problems (forks, crashes, stuck), the problem is v11 - not the conflicting data.

I think it is remarkable just how much backwards-compatability Evan has maintained given the pace of development. I'm just opining that at some point you need to stop wasting time on the laggards and move on, because some people will never update unless they absolutely have to - for example a lot of the mining pools when MN payments were unenforced.

Sounds like Microsoft policy, deprecating stable (old) versions in favor of unstable new ones^^

To be honest: If "conflicting data" is giving v11 problems (forks, crashes, stuck), the problem is v11 - not the conflicting data.

Fair point. :) - and why we should have more structured testing, with a testnet that deliberately mimics a fractured mainnet.

Sounds like Microsoft policy, deprecating stable (old) versions in favor of unstable new ones^^
I don't think that's a fair comparison. Microsoft do this for obvious financial reasons. That's not the motivation here.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Microsoft do this for obvious financial reasons. That's not the motivation here.
Point taken :)

But i prefer not to force people to update to an unstable version, as this will put the whole network at risk. If v11 is mature Evan can change the enforcement so that only recent protocol nodes get paid. This is how it worked for v10 and v9 anyway - only difference that we now see old versions in the stats. v9 and v10 always started from scratch.

Screenshot-01202015-073622-PM.png

It looks like Darkcoin became a Rainbowcoin

So, this is the question for the entire dev team. What do you need to make testnet and testing more robust? Change of approach, money, more hands on deck?

So, this is the question for the entire dev team. What do you need to make testnet and testing more robust? Change of approach, money, more hands on deck?
More hands on deck - remember v11 was a huge release, leaving Litecoin codebase behind, adding 1000+ commits to Darkcoin codebase to catch up with Bitcoin. We should have made myriads of regression tests...

Would the right person be able to devise test plans and scripts that could be split and delegated to individuals on a testing team to cover the myriads of regression tests?

One of the greatest strengths of Darkcoin is the pace of development but this has come with a reduction in quality imho.

EDIT:

Approval Process (thus diversifying testing and spreading the authority to decide upon a release):

Regression testing --> Service Readiness Review Stage 1 --> UAT --> SRR Stage 2 --> Change Advisory Board --> RELEASE

How about something like this? Sorry it is messy, I only have Visio 2003 on this PC and I'm in between meetings. I've deliberately not included decision gates or made assumptions on who would make up the various groups/teams. I've also omitted Quality Management but other than that its pretty much straight up ITIL V3 nuts and bolts.

RM1.jpg

Just for the record... 3 of my nodes (not mns) died (again) tonight.

I have to restart them every day since v11.

My debug logs are available if needed...

Same here, v11 is not stable, daemons keep on dying. That's why i did not update all customers yet...

Same here, v11 is not stable, daemons keep on dying. That's why i did not update all customers yet...

Flare, do you want to upgrade 12 of my masternodes to 11.10 so that we can monitor them closely? I don't mind being a crash test dummy...

Btw: The daemon which is running explorer.darkcoin.io seems to be stable, running it with disablewallet=1 - just in case you want to try :)

You make an excellent point... I'd be willing to put up a few vultr instances and donate them to a dev who wants to use them as whatever on testnet. the problem is, I don't have the time to maintain them. If someone else wants to maintain them, contact me and I'll give you the login info

Will try that. I am also running one of them with strace in case I can find out why they die...
Good stuff, i am seeing

Code:
terminate called after throwing an instance of std::bad_alloc'  what():  std::bad_alloc

quite often, but was not able to catch the stacktrace yet.

Back