• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Setting up a Masternode

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the answer in any of guides.

I have two questions.

1) When setting up a masternode, the guides say to send exactly 1000 DASH to the Masternode address. However, given that there is a transaction fee, do you just send a 1000, or a 1000 plus the transaction fee?

2) Is it possible to set up multiple masternodes in 1 wallet on 1 server, or must there be a separate wallet and server for each 1000 DASH?

1) Just send the 1000 and pay the fee
Using coin-control pick like 1002 DASH or what ever you want to use
SEND 1000 to the address you want to use
When the fee's window pops up, agree to pay what ever the fee is
The remaining DASH will go to a change address

2) You can use the same wallet for many MN's but you MUST have a separate IP address for each MN

TADA!!!!
:p

Settings, Options, Enable coin control features. Send: Input... check 1000.
Use the same wallet to send the 1000 to a new address. Payment to yourself.

When running a MN, coin-control is a must,if you plan to move any DASH around.

I was a complete noob when I started out 2.5 years ago.
@yidakee setup my 1st MN and within 2 hours, I had broke it
Took me another 6 hours to fix it, with help from @Propulsion....
ALL because I didn't pay attention to coin-control
Now days, you'll see that your 1000DASH will be "LOCKED" in coin-control.....
If you 'right-click' any DASH in coin-control, you'll see more options :-D

enjoy

Yep, simply once you have configured the masternode.conf file for your masternode the inputs of 1000s are locked autoamticly so no need to use coin control but to be honest I don`t see myself without using this feature :)

Last edited:
Yep, simply once you have configured the masternode.conf file for your masternode the inputs of 1000s are locked autoamticly so no need to use coin control but to be honest I don`t see myself withou using this feature :)

So if I understand all this correctly, let's say I have 2000 DASH, I should send two1000 transactions to the 0 masternode address? After I send it, I should go into "inputs" and check both 1000 transactions?

Simply go to RECEIVE - ask for an address, on teh address send 1000 coins..... later ask for another address and send 1000 coins to the other address but using the coins control feature by selecting the rest of the coins.... OR..create two addresses and send 1000 to one address and 1000 to the other address all in one transaction.

Simply go to RECEIVE - ask for an address, on teh address send 1000 coins..... later ask for another address and send 1000 coins to the other address but using the coins control feature by selecting the rest of the coins.... OR..create two addresses and send 1000 to one address and 1000 to the other address all in one transaction.
But aren't you supposed to send it to the masternode "0" address ?

No, no it is old setup you`re using... you need to fund any address inside your wallet :) remember to have the backups of it ;)

Ok, so I send 1000 exactly to each new receiving address I created in the same wallet. If I'm using VULTR to host, I would need two instances for 2000, but can use the same wallet on each?

Any new empty address will do.
Any old complete guide will do.
I am follow Tao's Masternode guide. Since I sent the coins to a regular receiving address. What do I place in the Masternode.conf file for the Transaction Hash? When I look at the transaction hash on the blockchain, it doesn't show a "0" or "1" at the end.

MN1 52.14.2.67:9999 7rxSr3fXpX3dZcU7CoiFuFWqeHYw83r28btCFfIHqf6zkMp1PZ4 06e38868bb8f9958e34d5155437d009b72dff33fc28874c87fd42e51c0f74fdb 0

Looks like a DASH Masternode.conf file to me.
Some end in zero, some end in one.

Save the file, restart wallet, wait to be fully synced, (with green check mark in the bottom right).
Settings: unlock wallet, Open: debug window, type "masternode start-missing"

I am follow Tao's Masternode guide. Since I sent the coins to a regular receiving address. What do I place in the Masternode.conf file for the Transaction Hash? When I look at the transaction hash on the blockchain, it doesn't show a "0" or "1" at the end.

MN1 52.14.2.67:9999 7rxSr3fXpX3dZcU7CoiFuFWqeHYw83r28btCFfIHqf6zkMp1PZ4 06e38868bb8f9958e34d5155437d009b72dff33fc28874c87fd42e51c0f74fdb 0
Use teh blockchain explorer like https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/ to see your address and the index of the output.

eg. https://chainz.cryptoid.info/dash/tx.dws?2480870.htm this 1000 coins output has "1" soem might have even "20" depends how many addresses you put as sending address in one transaction. But almost always it is 0 or 1.

Back