• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

RFC: Dash Electrum vision and roadmap

akhavr

We would like to position Dash Electrum as the default front-end for dash ecosystem, with focus on privacy by default.

Thus, we're working on the following roadmap now:

- client: Tor support turned on by default on all supported platforms
- server: Tor support
- privatesend support
- instantsend support
- applets/plugins:
- masternode monitoring
- budget proposals monitoring (incl. discussions)
- pay for fiat services
- point of sales
- shared masternodes

This post will followup with more formal pre-proposal for multimonth funding. As requested by community before, this would be a 3 month proposal to a separate wallet, so you'd be able to track our financials using block explorer.

Hi @akhavr

I really like this idea because it effectively differentiates Dash Electrum from the increasingly crowded field of Dash wallets out there. A few questions:
  • Does this mean you would also be setting up and maintaining Dash full nodes and other infrastructure on Tor?
  • What is the situation with upstream Electrum on Tor?
  • Is there any remaining Dash presence on Tor at the moment? If not, could you pass basic documentation on your process to get this running as a part of the proposal, to help other users with Dash on Tor?
  • Could we prioritise InstantSend development over Tor? Which do you expect to be more difficult to implement?
  • Can we rename the product from "Electrum-DASH" to "Dash Electrum" to be consistent with other wallets (Copay, Android, iOS, etc.)
  • What is the upstream GUI situation, are things like HiDPI support on their roadmap?
  • Any other plans for GUI and branding?
Thanks, I really love the work that has been done on this wallet over the past half year and would strongly support your next proposal based on this roadmap!

Thanks, that was exactly the idea. Answers below

• Does this mean you would also be setting up and maintaining Dash full nodes and other infrastructure on Tor?

I will run at least one node and will provide documentation for how to do this. Note, that dashd will still work over regular IPv4, but ElectrumX, serving Electrum clients, will work over TOR.

• What is the situation with upstream Electrum on Tor?

It works, but it's not on by default. Also, it works fine in Dash Electrum, though the setup on different platforms is different and sometimes not obvious. Also there are issues with synchronization over TOR for wallets with large number of transactions (say, view-only Masternode wallet)

• Is there any remaining Dash presence on Tor at the moment? If not, could you pass basic documentation on your process to get this running as a part of the proposal, to help other users with Dash on Tor?

I've not found any dashd present on TOR. If the source code is still there (I doubt), they I'll create instructions to launch dashd over TOR. Otherwise we'd be limited to dashd/IPv4 + ElectrumX/TOR

• Could we prioritise InstantSend development over Tor? Which do you expect to be more difficult to implement?

TOR frontend actually is easier, because it's more packaging and UI defaults. As soon as we'll complete it, we'll move to IS.

• Can we rename the product from "Electrum-DASH" to "Dash Electrum" to be consistent with other wallets (Copay, Android, iOS, etc.)

Yes, we'll do this in the upcoming release (just after upstream will release their versions)

• What is the upstream GUI situation, are things like HiDPI support on their roadmap?

There are some github issues/PR's there but not yet integrated. If there are issues with Dash Electrum - send me screenshots and we'll figure something out.

• Any other plans for GUI and branding?

Nothing custom, we'll stay in sync with Dash Core in branding and with upstream Electrum with GUI unless it would be obvious that we should deviate. So far I've seen no reasons to do so

Thanks, I really love the work that has been done on this wallet over the past half year and would strongly support your next proposal based on this roadmap!

Thanks. Will try to submit formal pre-proposal over the weekend.

we had a TOR node up back in the day but not anymore
agree , having one running would be great
the guides should all be ok , just need an update i guess when akhavr gets his node fired up , maybe he can update these guides as well
ty

What new can Electrum gain from the Deterministic Masternode List of upcoming update? Does it still need a server to operate? There is a clearly stated message on the update announcement that SPV wallets do not need a server to operate anymore

Back