• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

I've had fun with people trying to patent my designs and stop me from making my own products. Once it's in the public domain, tho...

I wish I could have patent priority for "google" name in the same class - I would be a millionaire already... :)
Untill you are small - it is not interesting to attack you. But when you are growing...

If we are not amatuer project and expect attracting serious partners, stores and investors - name must be properly protected.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may not be public domain, but it may be diluted enough that it is only defensible in very specific climates.

If there is nothing on the board that is currency related, if the logo doesn't resemble anyone else's... If you wouldn't want to be confused with the other brand any more than they would want to be confused for yours, and you're making an effort, for your own reasons, to avoid that; it's likely not assailable.

If you're not in the same market and your products/services don't compete, neither does the name because you're not in the same marketplace. DRK doesn't make culinary seasonings. Ms. Dash hasn't got a claim against you there. Your logo doesn't resemble theirs, etc...

Doesn't mean some trolling dickbags won't do it anyway...

DASH sucks. If that is the best we can come up with, leave it DarkCoin and have a re-informing campaign instead of a re-branding campaign...

I don't want to be in a re-education camp. In either the role of master or prisoner. Both are demeaning. DASH sucks, but if nothing better emerges QUICKLY, we have to run with it.

God help us.

a497a9808e9b6bb16fac09ac7c9acf5932f84fe542494f31a9b927e40305c01a.jpg

DCash: only 3 Trademarks used so far, the word "Cash" is there and we can keep the "D".

And being half of an acronym it doesn't mean anything nasty in ANY language.

Same applies to XCash.

See http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=DCash
http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=XCash
I like both of these. XCash is kind of snazzy because no one has heard of it or used it as a word. It's close enough to XC/XCurrency to piss them off (if there's anyone left), but today's trading volume is $62 so I'm not too worried about them. XCash also a nice throwback to our original name, Xcoin. But it's better, because *coin is getting old, and DRK is really simulated cash.

I wrote a song about the rebrand... was going to touch up on the lyrics just a bit... I'm a bit stuck, but all in all I think its near perfect. Suggestions warmly welcomed though... any little change etc

Darkcoin Rebrand Song

(those who've been here the longest will laugh the hardest)

Its actually a bit spooky too if you go all the way through... sooo many metaphors!!

I've been having trouble coming up with a way to explain my distaste for "Dash", but I think freefall. on BCT more or less nails it:

"The word "dash" is simply not serious enough. It is too whimsical, "flighty" flitty" however you want to describe it. More suited to the DODGE coin community. First thing that comes to mind is Santa Clause's reindeer when hearing the word, second thing that comes to mind is a Russian word. Dashcoin invoked a picture of Santa Clause flying over roof tops with his reinders. Or sinister old world Russia.

That's just me obviously. A technically solid one of a kind coin needs more bite to its name than "dash". That's akin to naming a 6x6 truck the "daffodil truck" or the "daisy truck". As for the idea bout squares and triangles, apples and ipods and all these cute and flighty type names, it is next to impossible to give something a goofy name and expect it to take off because of that. You can certainly try but if it fails there will be no second round. You might as well go for broke and go all the way with a "zingo" or "bongo" "zoomer" type goofiness that many try with very websites and company names on the internet, that go absolutely no where.

Put some real money to good use and retain an established marketing company to conduct a study and to actually run brand clinics to see how the general populous perceive different names, not rely on crypto nerds on internet forums for the answer."

Goldman Sachs Report Says Bitcoin Could Shape 'Future of Finance'

Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are part of a technology "megatrend" that could change the fundamental mechanics of transactions, according to a new report from Goldman Sachs' equity research analysts.

Bitcoin, along with improved payment security, 'big data' analytics and faster payment networks are the components of a technology trend that will disrupt the payments ecosystem, the report says.

http://www.coindesk.com/goldman-sachs-report-says-bitcoin-could-shape-future-of-finance/

Anyone who heard my song a few posts back, these are the last 14 days until the "end of the world" !! :tongue:

I've been having trouble coming up with a way to explain my distaste for "Dash", but I think freefall. on BCT more or less nails it:

"The word "dash" is simply not serious enough. It is too whimsical, "flighty" flitty" however you want to describe it. More suited to the DODGE coin community. First thing that comes to mind is Santa Clause's reindeer when hearing the word, second thing that comes to mind is a Russian word. Dashcoin invoked a picture of Santa Clause flying over roof tops with his reinders. Or sinister old world Russia.

That's just me obviously. A technically solid one of a kind coin needs more bite to its name than "dash". That's akin to naming a 6x6 truck the "daffodil truck" or the "daisy truck". As for the idea bout squares and triangles, apples and ipods and all these cute and flighty type names, it is next to impossible to give something a goofy name and expect it to take off because of that. You can certainly try but if it fails there will be no second round. You might as well go for broke and go all the way with a "zingo" or "bongo" "zoomer" type goofiness that many try with very websites and company names on the internet, that go absolutely no where.

Put some real money to good use and retain an established marketing company to conduct a study and to actually run brand clinics to see how the general populous perceive different names, not rely on crypto nerds on internet forums for the answer."

This please. Plus with all the things right now opposing Dash (name already in use by tons of companies, hard to market and SEO, lots of people hate it) you still have a bunch of people pushing for the use of Dash. Can we hire some talented people to find something powerful?

I AM JUST GOING TO POST TO BITCH AND COMPLAIN WITHOUT GIVING ANY REASONS OR LOGIC THAT COULD LEAD TO A PRODUCTIVE DISCUSSION /s

Edit: Please ensure that you read this with heavy sarcasm. I am a supporter of whatever fucking name at this point. I agree it will open the markets for us.

OK, I'm all caught up with all of the opinions expressed in the last ten hours since I was last here, and I still feel DASH is the way to go (caveat: if possible). Just looking at the potential logos on BCT makes me feel that we as a community could take this name and run with it, the creative possibilities for "DASH is Digital Cash" are numerous. The inverted C signifying the difference and similarity between digital cash and cash is nothing short of brilliant.

One more thing, choose the name or not, I hope we don't dwell on this for too long. There is still way more work to do in every facet of the project...

Read something like this to start people - http://www.zinzin.com/guides/zinzin-naming-guide.pdf

Then understand what's in a name.You can invent words, you can use words that evoke emotions, you can mix words (Power+Dollar for example for POLLAR as in (former darkcoin) is Money that gives the power back to you and away from institutions). etc.

HOLY CRAP!!!! We don't need a fuck'n an amazing name peeps!!!! We're not naming a boat or your pet dog here...we need a generic name that ties to what we do that is it. I would love to know of all the peeps on BCT on how many have ever run any million dollar business....run corporations. This is really starting to piss me off. WE DONT NEED AN EXISTENTIAL NAME!!! We aren't naming a freakn DnD/StarWars/ Super duper mystical freakn item here....we are naming a utility for the store of value and act as a currency. This has gotten WAY out of hand.

People need to get a freakn clue...you geniuses think your going to come up with the next "Microsoft" cause that was cool name right, I could see all the tools laughing about that name in the locker room!...If I was Evan...I'd name this Your Horses Ass and get rid of half the people here. Holy Shit I'm getting of the DCT and BCT...no wonder most of these guys/girls are where they are in life. FUCK ME!

HOLY CRAP!!!! We don't need a fuck'n an amazing name peeps!!!! We're not naming a boat or your pet dog here...we need a generic name that ties to what we do that is it. I would love to know of all the peeps on BCT on how many have ever run any million dollar business....run corporations. This is really starting to piss me off. WE DONT NEED AN EXISTENTIAL NAME!!! We aren't naming a freakn DnD/StarWars/ Super duper mystical freakn item here....we are naming a utility for the store of value and act as a currency. This has gotten WAY out of hand.

People need to get a freakn...If I was Evan...I'd name this Your Horses Ass and get rid of half the people here. Holy Shit I'm getting of the DCT and BCT...no wonder most of these guys/girls are where they are in life. FUCK ME!

We don't need an amazing name? Are you completely insane?

AIwFHwn.png

This is from the PDF I linked above from a company which specialize in creating brand names. You do this rebrand ONCE and you get something that sticks. That's not done in a few pages of posts, half of which are people saying they either hate or like "Dash.

In the context of a launch;

PayPal sounds stupid, so does Apple. Then they gain a meaning (and "greatness") of their own. Because its idiot proof.

Back