• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

Swap Radical for Revolutionary. Does it spark more interest now? :D
Look at SEPA (Singe Euro Payment Area). It's a big hit and the name contains the main idea behind it.

DASH is ok but if I was a game developer I would not name my game "Computer Game" or "Digital Game".

Now you wouldnt.
But what if your games were brand new for Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k ?

This is the dawn of cryptos, whatever the platform.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/games/a.html

Not familiar with the platform but here are some games for it if I am not mistaken. They don't seem generic at all.
Not trying to bash DASH but I believe a better name can be found.

ZX Spectrum 48k... this is where bitcoin is at, we're far ahead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum

RhDcq4J.jpg

Swap Radical for Revolutionary. Does it spark more interest now? :D
Look at SEPA (Singe Euro Payment Area). It's a big hit and the name contains the main idea behind it.

DASH is ok but if I was a game developer I would not name my game "Computer Game" or "Digital Game".
That's because you wouldn't think of yourself as the one and only.

Darkcoin is the one and only digital cash. No other exists.

I think so far you've been the single least productive person in this whole discussion. Instead of criticizing ever one else's ideas, why don't you enlighten us with your valuable ideas? If not, stop wasting our time with useless crap.

You proved how productive and brand aware you were when you kept promoting Bitcoin Rush. If you don't get why actions like that hurt the brand, you should stay out any marketing decisions. You want Darkcoin to become a major player in international finance and you imagine that a huge company would hurt their image like that? Keep making simple tweets and let the big boys take care of the real stuff, you're out of your depth.

A lot of people dissing the name - DASH is good it just needs getting used to. If someone in the street says 'whats Dash?' and someone says 'digital cash' they go 'oh yeh'. you have to think ahead with it :)

Dash is super bland and boring even if it works on some other level and keeps the "D". I mean you're competing with awesome names that actually make people wonder what the product is. "Ethereum" "Ripple" "Counterparty" "NXT" - Those are good names and they make the product seem interesting before you have any clue what it is. Dash makes you not care at all. You've got people in here rushing with the rebrand as if it has to be done within a few days. If it takes a month from now to decide it still doesn't matter. We're supposed to be thinking long term and settling on a name that the community is at best 50/50 about is definitely not a good long term decision.

When the right name appears, you'll know it.

I hate to say it, but for all the arguing and brain storming, I really haven't seen anything better than DASH. It's super bland, yah, but it works and it makes sense.
Not exactly a glowing defense of the name. I think going with a such an admittedly bland name like "Dash" actually does a disservice to something as innovative as Darkcoin. I think it deserves much better.

Not only that, but I don't think it's something we can afford to get wrong either. It's not like when the name was changed from Xcoin to Darkcoin. There's substantial community and technology behind the coin now, so whatever is chosen we're likely to be stuck with for the foreseeable future. It's something that should be done carefully and preferably with some professional input.

Not exactly a glowing defense of the name. I think going with a such an admittedly bland name like "Dash" actually does a disservice to something as innovative as Darkcoin. I think it deserves much better.

Not only that, but I don't think it's something we can afford to get wrong either. It's not like when the name was changed from Xcoin to Darkcoin. There's substantial community and technology behind the coin now, so whatever is chosen we're likely to be stuck with for the foreseeable future. It's something that should be done carefully and preferably with some professional input.

I totally agree Raze but I'm not sure about the value any professional input could give us... Apart from stating the obvious marketing rules which everyone learns in marketing class(colours, etc). Its not the name that will do the branding, its the marketing, advertisement, at least that's what I think..

Now an advertisement campaign, that adds value if its well done and serves to make a moat around the brand over time.

You're goddamn right. You don't rush this kind of decision and you don't go with something boring. We all know how we feel about Darkcoin. Darkcoin is powerful. it's constantly reinventing itself and innovating. It always ends up giving you more than you expect and it's not afraid of changing and trying out new things, it's everything Bitcoin doesn't dare to be. It's a raw display of financial engineering and personal freedom.

"Dash"

All these strong emotions, all the ups and downs we've all been through since the creation of Darkcoin, the rough parts and all the times we pulled through. Our amazement and the evolution and features that appeared. The intensity of being on the floor of something ground breaking.

And then you want to call it "Dash" and take all that away. Channel your emotions and think of something that you'd be proud to call Darkcoin in the future, something that reminds you of where we've been and tells anyone who hears it where we're going.That's the only reason I haven't contributed a name to the discussion, it's because I wouldn't throw anything out there unless I was confident.

Edit: Also, I like the "D" in our logo but limiting a new name to starting with D is not the best idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're goddamn right. You don't rush this kind of decision and you don't go with something boring. We all know how we feel about Darkcoin. Darkcoin is powerful. it's constantly reinventing itself and innovating. It always ends up giving you more than you expect and it's not afraid of changing and trying out new things, it's everything Bitcoin doesn't dare to be. It's a raw display of financial engineering and personal freedom.

"Dash"

All these strong emotions, all the ups and downs we've all been through since the creation of Darkcoin, the rough parts and all the times we pulled through. Our amazement and the evolution and features that appeared. The intensity of being on the floor of something ground breaking.

And then you want to call it "Dash" and take all that away. Channel your emotions and think of something that you'd be proud to call Darkcoin in the future, something that reminds you of where we've been and tells anyone who hears it where we're going.That's the only reason I haven't contributed a name to the discussion, it's because I wouldn't throw anything out there unless I was confident.

Edit: Also, I like the "D" in our logo but limiting a new name to starting with D is not the best idea.

You take away from the techno geek, and give it to the entire world. Thats the mission, not to be cool in a closed perimeter community.

"Dash"

This isn't about emotions. It's about making a business decision that makes sense for the future of the coin. The Darkcoin name is holding us back. Period. I have talked with countless people outside of our little world here, some who represent big investment firms (If you go through my follower list you will see them),and have had solid constructive ideas thrown at me. These are professional business people, and I can talk with them just fine, I'm hardly out of my element as you said above.
A recurring theme in these talks was the name, I'm afraid. And DASH is already growing on a lot of people, for good reason. It will take this coin to places it could only dream of before.
I look forward to the day DASH overcomes Bitcoin due to superior tech and usability, with the added financial opportunities afforded by Masternodes.
It really is full of win. Why doth thou protest so much?

Tx raze
very good comment !

Speaking of Professionals!
Has anybody ever here worked on
rebranding
logo design
mission statements for companies ?

ask yourself ? (not you raze)
this should be handed (as a package and like it is) to a Professional Company
NOW

let them do this professionally and for real !
they give us 2-4 ideas
and we take it from there !

Sure everybody has an option,
from Unicorn to XTZ
great initiative
but i can only STRESS
how important timing/speed is in all of that !
(as we should have started this in a totally different way anyway)

We have to get this done ASAP !
this community biggering and is fun and game,
but nothing professional will come out of it , as it is more about arguing (your personal points)
than approaching this from a Professional Branding Standpoint !

You take away from the techno geek, and give it to the entire world. Thats the mission, not to be cool in a closed perimeter community.

Not sure if you're supporting me or not with that comment. The important thing is starting with something powerful
This isn't about emotions. It's about making a business decision that makes sense for the future of the coin. The Darkcoin name is holding us back. Period. I have talked with countless people outside of our little world here, some who represent big investment firms (If you go through my follower list you will see them),and have had solid constructive ideas thrown at me. These are professional business people, and I can talk with them just fine, I'm hardly out of my element as you said above.
A recurring theme in these talks was the name, I'm afraid. And DASH is already growing on a lot of people, for good reason. It will take this coin to places it could only dream of before.
I look forward to the day DASH overcomes Bitcoin due to superior tech and usability, with the added financial opportunities afforded by Masternodes.
It really is full of win. Why doth thou protest so much?

What part of Dash sucks don't you get? I'm all for rebranding if it means actually giving it some thought and coming with something good. You seem more worried about finding a logo to be a goddamn "Dash Dalmatian" than actually finding a name that sticks in people's minds. When I talk about emotions, they're involved in the creation process of finding a good name. It has nothing to do with the business decision itself, I know Darkcoin is holding itself back with the current name. Dash is a nice little twist on Digital Cash but by itself it's weak and doesn't convey that behind it is one of the most powerful payment systems available on the planet.

OK EVERYONE!!!! Now that the drama has subsided....lets put on our big boy/girl pants on and get with this. A rebrand is in the making...this we know. Can we now get someone to come up with a plan on how we are going to move forward. There should be meeting of the devs and then consultation with the foundation members to come up with a plan on how this rebranding will be accomplished.

We need a plan...and Evan needs to help us with direction. The more simple, clear and consice.... the better I would suggest.

Please advise anyone?

I've come full circle. I like the name Darkcoin the best. The proposed name change reeks of greed and impatience. We should make the technology so damn compelling that merchants will have no choice but to overcome their reticence to adopt it.
There is a saying where I come from. "When in doubt, go with what brung you."

I would respectfully disagree. I am a merchant with a number of businesses. An other then 2 of which I personally run...everyone of my staff cringe or laugh at the name Darcoin, when asked about their personal thoughts...most thought it was gimmicky and juvenile. Almost 100% of the 1000's of customers I've talked to this year basically with out trying to obvious...rolled their eyes at me. Ask me how many people asked to sign up for learning more about Darkcoin....NONE!!!! ZERO!!! NOT INTEREST! That plus more then an few remarks about Star Wars money shit.

I've discussed this with several other personal friends of mine that are too large holders of this currency that we don't see any future in retail applications with this name. Never. To the point we would have to as well part ways with this project. We need something that people can identify with. Period.

I'm a pretty damn good sales man...but if I can't get people that work for me or clients and customers to even consider it...we have a problem.

EDIT: To this point...we need far more input from real world business people that deal with customers. And I don't mean small counter culture types either, people that operate hemp shops or sex shops or what have you. We need every day business people consulting on this. This is beyond peoples with counter culture views, out on left field conspiracy believing on the fringe peeps.

This currency can certainly cater to consiracy types that need protection and regular people like me.

We should make the technology so damn compelling that merchants will have no choice but to overcome their reticence to adopt it.

We can lift up by stairs (with "Darkcoin" name) or by elevator (as "DASH" name).
If we are lifting up in cottage (Dark markets) - there is no difference.
But If our goal is skyscrapper (Global markets) - elevator is the only option. Because if you don't use lift - your competitors will outstrip you (not to mention the fact that stairs is inefficient).

You proved how productive and brand aware you were when you kept promoting Bitcoin Rush. If you don't get why actions like that hurt the brand, you should stay out any marketing decisions. You want Darkcoin to become a major player in international finance and you imagine that a huge company would hurt their image like that? Keep making simple tweets and let the big boys take care of the real stuff, you're out of your depth.
I would suggest everyone please stop reading Tao's twitter until he gets himself under control. He has done a lot of bluff on his twitter and spamming many forums with his worthless statements. So save your time and stop reading him.

EDIT: I found a post on BTC that clears up some of my misconceptions about the decisions made.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10726461#msg10726461

I still feel like this could have been done better and it seems that some of the foundation are admitting that and apologizing. As much as I'd love a full explanation etc. I know there are more important things afoot for the community that Evan and the foundation are dealing with and I will trust they are making wise decisions. I still hold that more in the community should have been consulted, especially vertoe. Why vertoe? Because he/she put an incredible amount of time and energy into so many aspects of this project and his/her departure could have been prevented by proper communication and asking for input. Evan admitted he did not ask vertoe for his/her opinion because "it was already public."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg10726739#msg10726739

That is not a good enough reason to not include one of the most active devs on the team in the discussion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL POST:

I will repost what I have said in the Darkcoin Ambassador discussion board:

"No one else is saying it here so I will. I am disgusted how this name change was handled with the devs/community. I understand the need for the name change and I am not opposed to DASH. I am opposed to way this news was dropped and the lack of involvement with the devs, and to an extent the community. I feels purposeful that the community wasn't engaged earlier. A name change is needed, especially if we want to break out of the crypto-only crowd. In the end we are a community and it should have been discussed more. I have seen some tid-bits of apology from people like Fernando about the way this was handled, and I know we can move past this. However, a more official response about the entire series of events would be very helpful and a more concise apology about how things went down is necessary in this situation (Especially from Evan). I feel certain members of the community, including Vertoe, were intentionally left out of discussions. I am completely open to corrections and hope we can all move past this speedbump into whatever future DRK/DASH holds."

Back