• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

DASH is easy to say though compared to XDC or DC for quick real world use. I think Digital Cash with DASH for short/market ticker. DASH also looks better in all caps.

As generic name as possible like "The Shop" or "Digital Cash" implies that we are not competing with all the shitcoins out there.

The problem with "Digital Cash" is that every other coins will be using it to harm us like: "Our digital cash SHITCOIN is much better then their digital cash" and so on...

The problem with "Digital Cash" is that every other coins will be using it to harm us like: "Our digital cash SHITCOIN is much better then their digital cash" and so on...
Ok, D-Cash then, DC stands.

Why not use DigitalCash (xdc or dc) and forget Dash ??
I don't think it's succinct or unique enough, and technically it applies to every crypto-currency in existence.

And it's more like a description, not a brand. Like how Ron Swanson named his company "Very Good Building and Construction Company".

1 problem

the name Canadian Dollar (XDC) is taken
as is Caribbean Dollar (XCD)

BUT - we can use XDD

DIGITAL CASH XDD

(XDD) Digital Duff

Thanks Evan for this new posting.

No decision pleases everyone, and whatever name gets chosen some will like and dislike.

The underlying tech is awesome, and that's what we should be concentrating on.

I agree a rebranding will help us achieve the goal of wider adoption, and more people using the anonymity that Darkcoin/DASH/whatever has.

Wasn't that always the goal?

People are also starting to calm down, from what I can tell.

Renaming a brand is not trivial thing. A new name can not be awarded achievements above, is to start from scratch.
Pretender rename to please investors who do not currently believe in Darkcoin is absurd.
Many consumer brands have disappeared for doing this, rebranding the other that it suggested brainy marketing department. Do not fix what works.

Alright. Personally I'm fine with DASH myself, surprised it's getting as much hate as it's getting. Perhaps it's because I'm not British or American.

Alright. Personally I'm fine with DASH myself, surprised it's getting as much hate as it's getting. Perhaps it's because I'm not British or American.

American here, I don't see an issue with DASH as long as it is capitalized.

DASH > Dash

But if we are putting DASH forward as a main name, we should push "Digital Cash" very hard and use it in all PR, just like that image that was posted earlier in order to further reinforce the association between the two.

Yes, the longer we wait to do this, the harder it will be. I also talk daily with many people, and the name issue comes up A LOT. We really do give the coin more of a chance to thrive this way.

The time is now, whatever new name we choose...

Brand names are changed when this does not work. Never change when it is growing and consolidating. Renaming at this time is like deleting the map.

Brand names are changed when this does not work. Never change when it is growing and consolidating. Renaming at this time is like deleting the map.

Yes and no. As I mentioned above, I think the current name has tons of sex appeal to a certain demographic, but once that demographic is saturated, the name becomes a liability. A re-brand could be approached in several ways, some of which we have discussed in foundation board meetings. In the end I think we should consult a marketing firm and get their input. We can use their advice or ignore it at our discretion.

My initial thought was to do it in phases, first rebranding InstantX to Dash to force the name association. Then do away with the Darkcoin name at some point in the future. I haven't formally proposed this, however, and there are some good arguments against it, but I think it addresses your specific concern nicely.

There is much more to discuss and consider. As Evan said, this is still an exploratory phase.

You're talking about brand recognition, where that can kill a brand... or save it. But those fears are for multi-billion markets that usually have a recognisable product to be sold to the masses, hence the brand recognition.

If we changed tomorrow, everyone in the entire crypto world would know "instantly" and instantly recognize the change ... maybe a few blogs and websites might not pick it up immediately, but with our excellent PR group in the making, that info would quickly spread like wild fire.

We have been consolidated for 6 months with a slow steady growth, mainly due to people munching up as much as they can for masternodes. If anything, the rebrand will do for us what the rebrand of DarkMarket to OpenBazaar did a world of good. Unfortunately, they dont have a great dev team and dev is slow, but steady.

Here we have a full time dedicated team, entirely different, and zero re-coding needed. Darkmarket was a hackathon baby, and OpenBazaar is still way too beta even for real life network experimental exchanges. Apparently, hopefully, the new beta 4 soon will be a leap forward. But they dont have much talent with them.

For us rebranding is as simple as a flip of a switch. And a vast and coordinated (with videoooo!! yey!!) PR campaign can do more for dark/dash/whatever, than the achievement of anonymity and no major causal-effect increase of price... why?

Because of adoption.

Yes and no. As I mentioned above, I think the current name has tons of sex appeal to a certain demographic, but once that demographic is saturated, the name becomes a liability. A re-brand could be approached in several ways, some of which we have discussed in foundation board meetings. In the end I think we should consult a marketing firm and get their input. We can use their advice or ignore it at our discretion.

My initial thought was to do it in phases, first rebranding InstantX to Dash to force the name association. Then do away with the Darkcoin name at some point in the future. I haven't formally proposed this, however, and there are some good arguments against it, but I think it addresses your specific concern nicely.

There is much more to discuss and consider. As Evan said, this is still an exploratory phase.

I would do it in one go. We have everything ready! No one except crypto-fans knows us. Hardly the world knows about BTC. I really think the PR company would say this, unless, for example, some feature was not fully implemented.

I would prefer pointing the guns and firing all at once.

I would do it in one go. We have everything ready! No one except crypto-fans knows us. Hardly the world knows about BTC. I really think the PR company would say this, unless, for example, some feature was not fully implemented.

I would prefer pointing the guns and firing all at once.
Yes, this is exactly the point that was raised at the time I mentioned it.

+1000. Yes Please! We should have done that the first time around as well.

Back