• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Rebranding Followup

Looks like, here in Brasil everywhere I try to talk about darkcoin people don't like the name and most of them get the impression that is ilegal (black-market). We are investing a lot in mining and also in developing a payments system so the market could also accept DRK. We are complete behind DRK, and I hope that I can help more.

Fantástico, e muito bem-vindo!! :wink:

Indeed, the elephant in the room is enormous and is casting a very "dark" and long shadow over where this coin can go, even in the near short-term.

if you think the name change idea is taking away from the privacy angle we have now consider this...

Dash used in the open market with a $1b market cap is going to be giving privacy to a *lot more* people than Darkcoin @ $50m market cap

And if the market takes on Dash in a big way it will be hard politically for govs to ban it on one aspect because it's so useful in other ways like speed - I mean Bitcoin you would be waiting at the counter for 15 minutes and then the cashier says 'sorry the time limits gone you have to start your payment again', Dash you can actually use it like cash for real, no delay, no limits. Bitcoin 2.0 and the time is right...

Darkcoin name however, almost asking for trouble, no one will care if governments say 'its designed for bad things so we banned it' then you have to go somewhere on the darknet to trade darkcoin just into BTC because a guy in a black suit showed up at Cryptsy and told Big Vern to delist it.

sorry just seeing and reading a lot of reasons why this is the right thing to do :)

Another quick thought... No matter where you fall on the Totalitarian--Anarchist spectrum, or the Theist--Atheist spectrum, it is an open question as to whether States or religions hold more sway in the world. No major religion, will willingly align itself with "the dark side." Most major religions see themselves ultimately in conflict with States, and are prime prospects for a coin that shields them from State control/influence/monitoring, but will not touch "Dark" with a 10 foot pole. Those who speak of supporting the likes of Malala Yousafzai with Darkcoin, have no concept of this, nor of why the largest retailers in the Arab world changed "Black Friday," to "White Friday." As an unabashed follower of Jesus, who has the intellectual fortitude to separate names from substance, I tolerate the Drk name; but have found it almost impossible to sway many in positions of influence that desperately need what this coin has to offer.

One does not need to be a person of "faith" to recognize the magnitude of the market that is effectively "blacklisted" by the use of the Dark moniker.

ok, I think we have a consensus that "Digital Cash" is the perfect subname, we need to think only about what is above it :smile:

2SvA8PG.png

I'm not sure, but the more I see it, the more I like it :what:
(image made by Gladimor and posted here)

The other good option is D-Cash, but this is difficult to use with numbers (It costs 15 d-cash... weird)

ok, I think we have a consensus that "Digital Cash" is the perfect subname, we need to think about what is above it.

2SvA8PG.png

I'm not sure, but the more I see it, the more I like it :what:

The other good option is D-Cash, but this is difficult to use with numbers (It costs 15 d-cash... weird)

Err no we do not have consensus

Forget consultants in my opinion, waste of time and money. Thats a terrible idea in my opinion, except if you pay him only once the job is done and you are satisfied... lol we wish! First you get a consultant, then you get another consultant who knows better than the first consultant... Then a team of consultants convince you they can do even better for you etc...
You right on that!
Hmm... I noticed they don't use a capital E, not sure if that makes a difference. So the patents for that digicash ecash concept are now owned by Bluecora.. but there doesn't seem to be a company called Ecash and also when they tried to implement ecash they called it Digicash. (ecash was essentially the concept from what I understand, its easy to protect company names, product names, but concepts? Implemented differently?...)
How about a contest with a prize for the winner in DRKs. Plus some mine rigs.

In Russian "dash" sounds like "(you) will give" - so not bad...

But it may be a problem if "dash" sounds really offensive for Arabic people as moli reported... It is better ask a native arab-speaker if this is really a problem...

Hey guys!

I'm just a regular programmer, who has never participated to the community with anything more but some reddit post, so you shouldn't give any kindof credit me for it.
However I'm holding and buying Darkcoin since the last bubble and I'm actively following the news since then.

Now, I would like to participate in the conversation here and would like you to coinsider my point.

I think the whole nature of currency is changing. Maybe today Darkcoin seems not a "currency-like" name, but in my opinion in 10 years after the cryptocurrencies has took control over the world, nobody will care about the name that much, since people will just get used to the strange kindof coinnames they come up with. Just look at the crypto community right now: "Oh Darkcoin? That must be shady, I don't want to participate in it." Said nobody ever. In fact the very people who hate the concept of bitcoin say Dark must be an alarm for any sane person.

Those were my thoughts, thank you for considering it.

Here are some of my suggestions which are OK and maybe entertaining to some of you:

DCoin
DC
DPay
Ditcoin
Doin

or something totally diff:
Bits
SmartCash
FastCash
BlackPay (like blackcard)
SnapPay (like snapchat)
SnapCoin (like snapchat)
Digit
ECash
QuickCash
QuickPay (prob can't cause of JP morgan chase but I use this name often. "quickpay" me.)

Love darkcoin but def is not friendly for mainstream. Dash might lose the cool factor
What do you think?

Bupbupbupbup....

Mula

or spelled

Moola
Moolah

but appears to be pretty much taken - something along this line of thought would be cool

I said this a few months ago and will say this again: I fully support a name change as I believe we will not go mainstream with this name. Millions of people around the world jut don't think the way we do. They will not touch this coin with a long pole as long as it has got a shady name.
Personally I like some of the ideas posted above, like DCASH or DPAY. Of course you cannot make everybody happy so it will be a bumpy road but I think we should do that ASAP and move on. Ihmo we should choose like 5 proposed names and the foundation members should vote.

It seems that sober second thought appears to be kicking in around the community. oblox, Minotaur, and my own attempts to explain our thinking as to why this name change is a good thing seems to be making an impact.

Guys, let's face it, this is a huge change for a lot of people. They were attracted to this coin because of the tech, and they thought that Darkcoin name represented it perfectly. And they were right.

But then something changed. Evan realized that he could make this coin something better, something more than just a "Dark" coin. InstantX was born, and like he said in the Rebranding thread, he has now found a way to scale this technology, which has always been a problem.

We are now so much more than Darkcoin. I think people are starting to realize that.

My PMs have been going of the hook this morning with potential investors, this will be so much easier to market. And don't forget, nothing is changing with the underlying technology.

We have so much more to do, lets not dwell on this for too long. DASH is Digital Cash.

stop. you have all you need...

fRpRHoL.png

...reduce it to the max. D is enough.
behind the scenes it will be "darkcoin" for the one, "dash" for the other... its just D

I work in the advertising-bizz - not that it should have any weight - but I see many companies around here paying a lot of money to make their complicated brand-names to a clever sign or just a character.

only disadvantage - not easy to resolve in the web.
but we have a clever community - so go on!

Last edited by a moderator:

fRpRHoL.png

behind the scenes it will be "darkcoin" for the one, "dash" for the other... its just D

I work in the advertising-bizz - not that it should have that weight - but I see many companies around here paying a lot of money to make their complicated brand-names to a clever sign or just a character.

i like this one, its short and its powerfull. you could even take DDC as handle.
edit : scratch that DDC .. DC as handle much better)

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that sober second thought appears to be kicking in around the community. oblox, Minotaur, and my own attempts to explain our thinking as to why this name change is a good thing seems to be making an impact.

Guys, let's face it, this is a huge change for a lot of people. They were attracted to this coin because of the tech, and they thought that Darkcoin name represented it perfectly. And they were right.

But then something changed. Evan realized that he could make this coin something better, something more than just a "Dark" coin. InstantX was born, and like he said in the Rebranding thread, he has now found a way to scale this technology, which has always been a problem.

We are now so much more than Darkcoin. I think people are starting to realize that.

My PMs have been going of the hook this morning with potential investors, this will be so much easier to market. And don't forget, nothing is changing with the underlying technology.

We have so much more to do, lets not dwell on this for too long. DASH is Digital Cash.

Qm7x4w6.png

All other suggestions so far also suck. It doesn't need to be a play on words to be successful.

fRpRHoL.png

I work in the advertising-bizz - not that it should have any weight - but I see many companies around here paying a lot of money to make their complicated brand-names to a clever sign or just a character.

This is my favorite by far.

fRpRHoL.png

As say by quizzie, after the first 24h of ... confusion and melodrama, I think we have to go with it (the name change not dash) and to see this : I like it ...

Back