• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Sponsorship of Brave New Books Stage, and Decentralized Tech Meetup Group

CatherineBleish

This proposal is coming up short on time because it is a response to an issue we encountered recently on the Dash Across America Tour. We were shunned by the Las Vegas Meetup Group for our support of Dash - we were then booted from the Austin Bitcoin Meetup Group for the same reason. We hosted the Bitcoin meetups at the bookstore we are in the process of buying (Brave New Books)- we would like to combat the negativity by raising awareness of Dash despite their attempts to silence it. I am not allowed to post links on this forum yet, but you can search online for the full story. "Bitcoin.com Bus Shunned by Las Vegas Bitcoin Meetup Group".

We think this will be a creative, effective, and fun way to get people involved with Dash, and a non combative way to respond to the "haters".

Proposal:

We are asking Dash to sponsor the stage at Brave New Books, we are seeking resources to help the store promote Dash to it’s customers and community, and we want Dash to sponsor the brand new decentralized technology meetup we are launching September 11th.

The Brave Stage

Our stage is a beloved location for people who love all things liberty and crypto currency. We host weekly events with intimate crowds and a few smash hit events per month (sometimes we bring in crowds upwards of 100 people).

Screen_Shot_2015-09-02_at_2.31.38_AM.png

We have hosted two 512Bitcoin mini-conferences during SXSW (featured on WSJ), we have hosted the after party for the TX Bitcoin Conference, we have hosted some big crypto names like Cody Wilson of Defense Distributred, Lynn Ulbricht, Yoshi Goto of BitMain Tech, Paul Puey of Airbitz, Nick Spanos of the NYC Bitcoin Center, Dimitri of Mycellium, Tatiana Moroz singer/songwriter, Julia Tourinski of Brave the World, and many others.

This will be a valuable place to have a dash banner as it will provide repeated exposure to hundreds of like - minded audience members and an unlimited number of online viewers. When an event is organized by the store, which larger events most often are, we will vocally promote Dash to those in attendance.

10 Year Anniversary Mini Conference and Party

The end of August is the 10 year anniversary of Brave New Books! We are hosting a mini-conference and party September 10th that will probably be the bookstore's event of the year. For year 9 we had Jimi Vaughan play! We have great speakers lined up like Cody Wilson and Jim Marrs, who pack the house when they speak. The attendance will be large and will allow us to reach out to a very like minded group repeatedly through the day.

Frequent Events

We would love to have a dash logo on stage at this and every event for the next 3 months. We have weekly events like Eddie Craig's Traffic Law Seminar, and special events like Adam Kokesh's Sept 4th speech. Every month hundreds of people attend events at our store and could be exposed to dash.

Decentralized Technology Meetup

The day after our 10 year anniversary party (Sunday September 11th) we would like to launch the first Austin Decentralized Technology Meetup - sponsored by Dash. We will provide speakers/presentations every other week, while providing the space for weekly meetups. At these meetups we will help set up new users with dash wallets and teach them how to use them. We will promote dash no matter the decentralized topic we are discussing. The first focus for the meetup: DASH!

Austin Technology

Austin is a technology hub with a large cryptocurrency community. We plan to create a movement around this meetup, providing the tech industry with great content and mingle opportunities. We will be able to introduce the Austin Tech culture to Dash. We expect the meetup to consist of 20-30 attendees, hopefully more as we grow. This will take place during the same time slot that the bitcoin meetup took place. Sundays at 5pm.

Dash Pizza and Drinks

We would like to provide free pizza and drinks to meetup attendees that we buy using Dash. This is how the Austin Bitcoin Meetup grew their meetup - attendance immediately began to wane when they stopped providing free pizza.

Community Outreach

This meetup will be a great way to encourage the other small businesses on the south drag in Austin to accept Dash as payment, and cater to the regular weekly meeting of Dash lovers. This can be a fun way to grow the Dash community in a very localized manner. We can hand out fliers to students and shoppers on the Drag, we can also set up information booths on the sidewalk out front. Brave is located on a very busy intersection in Austin right on the campus of the University of Texas at Austin. Great opportunity for outreach.

Brave Point of Sale

Brave associates are used to taking bitcoin, dash, silver and barter as payment. We are versed in all things crypto and we enjoy spreading the word. With a flier for every customer, our team has the perfect conversation tool at the point of sale. This is a great opportunity to set up Jaxx wallets on the spot. We will also provide fliers to community members who want to flier the general public. This will help us to grow the dash economy through personal relationships.

Three Months

By sponsoring the stage and the meetup for three months we can get a realistic picture of what the dash community in Austin can accomplish. This will allow us to host 6 presentations, and capture the bitcoin and privacy friendly audience at Brave New Books as they pass through to shop or attend other events. This will give us enough time to see the fruits of our labor begin to bloom.

Bonus

As a special bonus we can create some street-level advertising for Dash in the form of window decals and a sandwich board. We are on the corner of Martin Luther King Blvd and Guadalupe Street in downtown Austin. We are right across from UT campus and students walk by all day. This signage would be seen by many people in cars and on foot.

Cost to Dash

100 Dash a month for three months. (approximately $1250 a month)

$350 - Approximately $80 for pizza each week

$200 - Fliers and Facebook Ads for Decentralized Technology Meetup

$150 - Signage for stage, front of store, and back of store

$550 - Sponsorship of stage and Brave staff performing outreach to customers

*Edit Meetup.com membership is $15 a month if you pay for 6 months up front.

Last edited:
I say its time for payback and at the same time it is a great opportunity to attract attention to Dash
I'm voting yes.

This dash bubble-pyramid mostly attracts advertisers, and people of marketing. The budget is full of it. It is full of youtube shows and meetups and marketing and promotion and conference and travel and symposiums. The community is growing in the wrong way, advertisers are arriving and augment like cancer. Advertisers and (bad faith) evangelists are a disease, like lawyers are. The DASH community needs to be rationalized, someone must tell the truth here.

The below image shows what most of the community members are:

xpk4h3gh3zoq_small.png

Pathetic.

Is there anynone around here who is planning to write a single line of code? I wonder...

Last edited:
i like the idea but it's a bit expensive and i have one suggestion.
a guaranteed way to make sure people get the dash message is to have them directly interact with the currency. so how about promising to give away 5 or 10 dash (out of the 100) every month to people who set up a wallet, maybe give 20-40 people .25/.50 dash or something like that.

Last edited:
i like the idea but it's a bit expensive and i have one suggestion.
a guaranteed way to make sure people get the dash message is to have them directly interact with the currency. so how about promising to give away 5 or 10 dash (out of the 100) every month to people who set up a wallet, maybe give 20-40 people .25/.50 dash or something like that.

This is a nice idea. Organise real life meetings, and give dash to those who present their identity card. This is an alternative to the universal dividend idea.

This is a nice idea. Organise real life meetings, and give dash to those who present their identity card. This is an alternative to the universal dividend idea.
i would not make them present an id card but just install the wallet on their phone.

i would not make them present an id card but just install the wallet on their phone.

And what if they get their dash, they go for a walk and they return with another phone and a moustache, before the meeting is end?

The only way to solve this is for all meetings (in case you have several meetings in different places-towns) to take place at the exact same time, and to be closed door meetings. After a specified time, the doors of all the concurrent meetings close and nobody is allowed to enter anymore, only to leave. So you can install the wallet and give the dash tip in their phone, whithout duplicates.

Those concurrent meetings where a dash tip is given to the participants, will be a great promotion for dash. If someone organises such an event, it will be a very nice proposal that worths to be voted. So this is a call to @amanda_b_johnson, @TaoOfSatoshi, @CatherineBleish and the rest marketeers, instead of promoting in the internet where nobody hears (or nobody hears seriously) to finnaly do something in common (each one in his own town) that is usefull and has effect in the real life.

And this is also a call to the @whales, not to vote advertising bullshits in the budget, but to vote marketing events that have value. Because a universal dividend event simulation (in the future those concurrent universal dividend events will take place in all towns) has enormous value.

Last edited:
And what if they get their dash, they go for a walk and they return with another phone and a moustache, before the meeting is end?

The only way to solve this is for all meetings (in case you have several meetings in different places-towns) to take place at the exact same time, and to be closed door meetings. After a specified time, the doors of all the concurrent meetings close and nobody is allowed to enter anymore, only to leave. So you can install the wallet and give the dash tip in their phone, whithout duplicates.

Those concurrent meetings where a dash tip is given to the participants, will be a great promotion for dash. If someone organises such an event, it will be a very nice proposal that worths to be voted. So this is a call to @amanda_b_johnson, @TaoOfSatoshi, @CatherineBleish and the rest marketeers, instead of promoting in the internet where nobody hears (or nobody hears seriously) to finnaly do something in common (each one in his own town) that is usefull and has effect in the real life.

And this is also a call to the @whales, not to vote advertising bullshits in the budget, but to vote marketing events that have value. Because a universal dividend event simulation (in the future those concurrent universal dividend events will take place in all towns) has enormous value.

i'm not worried about people wearing disguises to get a few extra dollars of dash.

i'm not worried about people wearing disguises to get a few extra dollars of dash.
Should I try to guess which one of the people I have on ignore suggested that disguises would be a problem.

Let me make it clearer. Have you ever heard of the concept of "Incognegro?" You know, because they all look the same to me... So, if any black people show up, we'll have to fingerprint them before they get more than their fair share of free DASH...

[/sarc]

The problem is not the disguises. The problem is the duplicates. You should be allowed to come and get your tip disguised, but you should not be allowed (by the protocol) to get the tip more than once.

And of course it is not a problem when people get the tip twice (disguised or not), if we are talking about a few extra dollars of dash. But if we are talking about a universal dividend, which is not a few dollars, and if the plan is to give a good amount of dash to ordinary people (in order for the dash economy to become a real one and start having real transactions), then duplicates is a problem.

Last edited:
What most of you dont undesrtand, is that the transactions (of the real people) is what makes money valuable. If you fall into the pit of considering DASH as a store of value (like bitcoiners are doing), then you will lose the game. And of course in order to increase the number of (the real people) transactions, you must give free dash to as many people as you can, and as much dash as you budget (and your pocket) allows.

Give free dash to people in real life meetings. Invite them to work for dash by doing jobs of the budget system. Spend all your monthly budget. The more dash you give, the better it is for dash. The lowest the dash pyramid is, and the more people owning dash, the better it is for dash. The lowest the masternode fee is, and the more unique people are allowed to vote in the budget, the better it is for dash.

Dont be greedy, greed will destroy you.

Last edited:
The problem is not the disguises. The problem is the duplicates. You should be allowed to come and get your tip disguised, but you should not be allowed (by the protocol) to get the tip more than once.

And of course it is not a problem when people get the tip twice (disguised or not), if we are talking about a few extra dollars of dash. But if we are talking about a universal dividend, which is not a few dollars, and if the plan is to give a good amount of dash to ordinary people (in order for the dash economy to become a real one and start having real transactions), then duplicates is a problem.

we'll cross that bridge when we come to it in the next few years or so.

Here is the Dash banner in the background at our ten year anniversary which had around 75 people in attendance Speaking on the stage is Jim Marrs, New York Times best selling author.

14444624_1166052366789310_5708226198396525041_o.jpg

We will be printing a new banner soon that will be larger and with more info about Dash.

The next Decentralized Tech Meetup will be a debate on the Bitcoin Block Size featuring Roger Ver skyping in. I will be sure to bring up how Dash managed to reach consensus on the block size question in 24 hours!

UPDATE: Here is a video of the Dash talk John did at our first Decentralized Tech Meetup which featured talks and discussion on Dash and Steemit. Steemit video will be posted soon.

very cool. the dash DAO is alive and growing rapidly, pretty crazy. great job!
i had to skip some of it because of the low audio but i did hear john mention something about the soda machine. is that on the way there or what do we need to do to get y'all one?
it would be cool to have a dash snack machine too. somebody should make that proposal.

What most of you dont undesrtand, is that the transactions (of the real people) is what makes money valuable. If you fall into the pit of considering DASH as a store of value (like bitcoiners are doing), then you will lose the game. And of course in order to increase the number of (the real people) transactions, you must give free dash to as many people as you can, and as much dash as you budget (and your pocket) allows.

Give free dash to people in real life meetings. Invite them to work for dash by doing jobs of the budget system. Spend all your monthly budget. The more dash you give, the better it is for dash. The lowest the dash pyramid is, and the more people owning dash, the better it is for dash. The lowest the masternode fee is, and the more unique people are allowed to vote in the budget, the better it is for dash.

Dont be greedy, greed will destroy you.
This is one of the few things you've posted that I completely agree with.

any updates here? pictures of the new larger dash banner? other pictures "Signage for stage, front of store, and back of store"?

how many people on average attended the weekly meetup? is it growing?

when will the Roger Ver thing take place?

is there a pizza place that takes dash in austin? Where do y'all get the pizza from?

how many people have bought something at BNB with bitcoin? with dash? How much $?

thanks

H
any updates here? pictures of the new larger dash banner? other pictures "Signage for stage, front of store, and back of store"?

is there a pizza place that takes dash in austin? Where do y'all get the pizza from?

how many people have bought something at BNB with bitcoin? with dash? How much $?

thanks
I just want to say I see this and am out and about getting Halloween supplies. I will respond thoroughly tomorrow!!

Breifly - we still are using the same sign (I didnt realize jb posted we were getting a bigger one, I see that now and will talk to him), about $40 a week on btc, and just a handful of both online and in person DASH sales. The meetup is gaining momentum, maybe 25 peiple at events, but we do buy facebook ads to ensure that. No one comes on the non-speaker/ mingle-only ones really. My phone is about to die more later!

thanks

OK online and fully charged AND John has the kids - Let me answer in order

Here is a photo of the sign on the front TV that flashes throughout the day and night - visable by the MLK and Guadalupe intersection that gets thousands and thousands of cars driving by all day, and a bazillion students walking by all day.

signal_2016_11_04_204848.jpg

You ask if the meetup is growing and I would say YES - this next weekend C-SPAN is supposed to be there to tape our Decentralized Tech Meetup with Cody Wilson. So slowly but surely we are making WAVES with this meetup and we hope to use this as a launch to greater momentum / DASH adoption in Austin!

Roger Ver event already took place, it was taped but has not been uploaded. We are very behind on media uploading in general for the bookstore.

We do not have a pizza place that takes dash directly, for now we trade it for bitcoin and buy from dominos upstairs (egifter app). We just got a really great restaurant set up with a bitcoin ATM and I hope they will be our next DASH place in Austin, hopefully we can start to have them cater our food once they add DASH :D

We are handing out DASH fliers at the counter and have them around the store. I'd love some that are a bit more flashy like the Airbitz postcard size ones we hand out for their wallet/directory.

I think I answered all of your questions, please let me know if there are more! If we do this again, I'd like to consider a live stream element to the bigger events. But for now, I think we have exposed a TON of people to DASH in subtle and not so subtle ways!

Back