• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Official Pre-Proposal: Proposal Evaluation Committee

Will this be beneficial for Dash?

• Total voters
Hate to say this, but you are right. Uncalled for :(
Had a day out of hell yesterday and took it out on you. If you have an hour and a half - I'll tell you about it: Cars/kids/starting a new biz etc etc
Anyway, forgive an old fart - getting grumpier by the day :eek:

And don't worry - I don't do evaluations and I don't think any of the team will let me tell them what to say - most have been around far longer than me and none of them are pushovers - believe me.
it's all good we cool but yea I do like you passion to do something for Dash but I just believe it's in the wrong place.

Wondering how the 6 people on the panel were chosen and by whom. Just seems really arbitrary. I do like Jim's idea though :)

So they're the people who have the most spare time? I don't get the qualification aspect to this plan... or does that matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So they're the people who have the most spare time? I don't get the qualification aspect to this plan...

PEC weekly update
When I 1st started out i hoped to get 2 volunteers and catered for that: 15 Dash each (couple of months back) for doing +- 10 proposals each.​
I was pleasantly surprised when I got 15 volunteers. I gave them all a test proposal to see if they are up to it and a very tight deadline to gauge commitment. 6 Provided their evaluations in time :rolleyes:
Again I was very surprised about the quality of the evaluations and most surprised how well the guidelines worked - most of the evaluations were quite close, with a number giving the same marks for different questions.
Now I had a problem: Cut the 6 down to 2! Throw away the wealth of experience of the others?
I approached the whole team and suggested that we share the 30 Dash amongst the whole team, expecting some of them to fall out - None did!
At this stage I felt guilty and added my Dash to the pot ;)

So there we are: a lot of MNO's - a wealth of experience in a lot of fields - way better than I ever hoped for.
Certainly the team is not perfect - lack of advertising expertise is an obvious one, although there's a MBA in marketing on the reserve list. As soon as one of the others fall away we'll bring him in.
IOW: I didn't pick them - they picked themselves :D

At the moment they are working as small teams of 2 or 3. Each Ev. gives an evaluation and send it to me.
Once all the members of a teams evals are, in I post them on our slack - this is to prevent them influencing each other before doing their eval.
The team then compare/discuss and compile one Report together.
All the other teams watch what they are doing. Idea being to learn from each other.

Once all the team members evals are consistently close to each other, we'll know they are ready to go off on their own and the teams will break up and each Evaluator will do his/her own evaluations.
I hope this won't take to long since the team effort is a lot of extra work for them.
BTW - I won't be doing Evals myself - don't have the time.

Hope this gives you a better idea - we are trying to do good ;)

Last edited:
Hi TBC,
When I 1st started out i hoped to get 2 volunteers and catered for that: 15 Dash each (couple of months back) for doing +- 10 proposals each.
I was pleasantly surprised when I got 17 volunteers. I gave them all a test proposal to see if they are up to it and a very tight deadline to gauge commitment. 6 Provided their evaluations in time :rolleyes:
Again I was very surprised about the quality of the evaluations and most surprised how well the guidelines worked - most of the evaluations were quite close, with a number giving the same marks for different questions.
Now I had a problem: Cut the 6 down to 2! Throw away the wealth of experience of the others?
I approached the whole team and suggested that we share the 30 Dash amongst the whole team, expecting some of them to fall out - None did!
At this stage I felt guilty and added my Dash to the pot ;)
So there we are: a lot of MNO's - a wealth of experience in a lot of fields - way better than I ever hoped for.
Certainly the team is not perfect - lack of advertising expertise is an obvious one, although there's a MBA in marketing on the reserve list. As soon as one of the others fall away we'll bring him in.
IOW: I didn't pick them - they picked themselves :D

At the moment they are working as small teams of 2 or 3. Each Ev. gives an evaluation and send it to me.
Once all the members of a teams evals are, in I post them - this is to prevent them influencing each other beforehand.
The team then compare/discuss and compile one Report together.
All the other teams watch what they are doing - we've got our own slack - Idea being to learn from each other.
Once all the team members evals are consistently close to each other, we'll know they are ready to go off on their own and the teams will break up and each Evaluator will do his/her own evaluations.
I hope this won't take to long since the team effort is a lot of extra work for them.
BTW - I won't be doing Evals myself - don't have the time.

Hope this gives you a better idea - we are trying to do good ;)

Well, that IS a lot of work and thought put in, Biltong. [emoji74]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update of my idea:/
Hi Simon,
If you do want to use our services (note this is a free service)
1. Please Private Message @Biltong on the Dash Pre + Budget Proposal Discussions Forum indicating that you want the help of the PEC, so we can assign a team to you.
2. Once you have read How to submit a Dash Pre-Proposal https://goo.gl/7jmwXQ you might want to adjust your Pre-Proposal before we submit our 1st Evaluation, so we’ll wait for you to give us the go-ahead before we start the evaluation process.
3. Again, PM @Biltong when you are ready for the 1st Evaluation.
Hope to hear from you quite soon. :)

Don't like the word "Committee", would prefer "Group".

Committee sounds too formal / misrepresents / suggests there is just one "committee" representing dash proposals.

Perhaps the generic name could be "Proposal Services Group". Then all these groups can give themselves pet names e.g. PSG Panther, PSG Jaguar etc. This would give the flexibility that some groups can offer enhanced proposal services such as translations etc.

Hi GMD,
Yep, can't say I'm too fond of committee either. type of thing you want to avoid :( Sort of inherited it from early discussions with the lords on high. But I think the 'Committee' will disappear quite fast - just become PEC?
Maybe it will become Proposal DAO if we do our job well - that seems to be the direction we're heading in any case - if we get funded and survive and deliver :rolleyes:

PEC's first Report has been published ;)

170618 tuapoma team 2 JPG.jpg

PEC REPORT

https://goo.gl/2RRSst

Any comments welcome.

A cover letter went with it see below.
If you are curious how we evaluated - see:
PEC Evaluator Guidelines https://goo.gl/Futw1d

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is your first PEC Report

Couple of notes:
· There is NO pass/failure mark. The percentage simply allows us to create a Prioritized List of Evaluated Proposals. The idea being that a MNO with very little time can concentrate on Proposals at the bottom of the list only. MNO’s with more time will obviously look at all proposals as per normal.
· The evaluation also enables the Evaluators to look for scammers etc and red-flag a proposal that is a possible danger to Dash. They have more time and tools to look for the tell-tale signs.
· MNO’s have been very lenient in the past. So even if you have, what you might consider a low mark, you might still pass the Vote ;)
· Most Important: The evaluation is to give you an idea of where you can improve your proposal to have a better chance of earning MNO votes.

When you improve your proposal, please color all new material in red and don’t delete any word/sentence, but use strike through or underline. This will make it easier for the evaluator to find changes, when she or he re-evaluates your improved proposal. The MNO’s will also so be interested to see what you changed to improve your proposal.

Since you were unlucky enough to submit your Pre-Proposal just as the PEC started, you had a handicap: You did not know the importance of the Dash Project Proposal Template https://goo.gl/m0jgfS .
This Template was created some years ago by the MNO’s to get all the information that they need to make an informed decision. It is also the easiest way for you to earn extra marks :) If your proposal did not cover a question in the Template – just put the Heading and answer in your detail doc. If your proposal does cover the question: Just put the Heading with the words: See original Proposal.
E.g.: Project Scope - Milestones and Schedule: See original Proposal.

We know this is a painful bureaucratic exercise, but once you’ve done your improvements for this 1st one, the next couple of improvements (maybe just one?) will be easy, and of course – you are bound to have more proposals in the future! ;)

Good luck

Last edited:
Scope
Pre-proposals that are more than $250 worth of Dash. Dash Force will manage those below.

I think that should read "under $250". and yes we can help with some of those when brought to our attention as worthy projects.

We will also be helping sponsor the Proposal fee for at least 3 and maybe more proposals a month, depending on our budget. This will be the first proposal we have agreed to sponsor.
Also, @jimbursch is helping with proposal fee's. I like his idea and think it can be self funded if a small percent from the proposal pay back fee is used. So double your money minus say 10% for administration of the project. Or whatever percent is needed to make it work.
https://fundchan.com/dashbudgetwatch

I think it will be important to have a few of these review committee type things, to avoid centralization and one group determining the direction of Dash, so I welcome competition in this area and Dash Force will be doing our part to help with reviews as well. So far this is the best review committee project I have seen but I welcome others too.

I think that should read "under $250". and yes we can help with some of those when brought to our attention as worthy projects.
...So far this is the best review committee project I have seen .....
Hi Mastermined
The line reads: PEC Scope: Pre-proposals that are more than $250 worth of Dash. (They are within our scope) Dash Force will manage those below.

"when brought to our attention as worthy projects." That seems to imply that we have to evaluate them as well, before referring them to DF? That is not what we discussed. All Proposals under $250 to DF is what I understood. Not a big problem, if that is what you want - hardly any proposals under $250.

"So far this is the best review committee project I have seen" Thank you kind sir :D

Interesting. Can't say I'm 100% sold, but I'm definitely willing to see where this goes :)

1 concern I have: How do you decide that a specific committee memeber is qualified to be on your team?

Last edited:
Proposal Evaluation Committee

Feed Back

Nearing the end of this test Phase. What a hectic couple of weeks. Mostly my own fault: I thought we should start on the day the new cycle starts – sounded logical, but it was way too late – Proposals for this cycle came in long before then.
I also had the brilliant idea of being nice and asking Proposal Owners if they wanted to be evaluated.
Noob mistake: Waiting for their replies delayed everything so the Categorized and Prioritized list of Proposals were only released yesterday: Pre-Proposal Cycle starting 170706 thread: https://goo.gl/qu2JsP a lot of voting has already taken place L

Some things did go well:
Community seems to be reasonably happy with the results – some Proposal Owners who received bad reports were not happy.
The evaluators performed way beyond my expectations and luckily I did not start with the 2 as I planned originally.
Evaluating is a lot more time consuming than I thought: especially since they were working in teams: time differences and real life makes this especially difficult.
Most of the Evaluators will be able to evaluate on their own from now on, but we’ll always have new evaluators who will be working in teams to learn the ropes.

Besides learning how to evaluate and understanding the endless PEC bureaucracy that goes with that, the Evaluators also gave a vast amount of feedback/input on the various aspects of the PEC – especially the Guidelines: contradictory and difficult to interpret in places etc etc
The community also gave quite a bit of feedback and I’ll be spending most of what’s left of Phase 1 implementing all of this.
So the PEC will get better over time. ;)

We also managed to complete work that was only scheduled for Phase 2.
Four of the easier items out of 9 have already been completed this phase: mostly to do with Categorizing proposals resulting in the Categorized list. To be honest, it did turn out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be.
It does mean that we are ahead of the curve and moving closer to the real meat: “Phase 3 Monitoring Proposals”. That will be a tough and contentious one to crack, but we’ll give it a go. Maybe we’ll start next phase, but 1st a lot of introspection; cleaning up; simplifying and clarifying.

We’ll be inviting a number of ‘senior’ members to come and visit our slack to see what we do and how we do it: @edduffield ; @babygiraffe; @mastermined; @thedesertlynx; @AndyDark; @Minotaur; @tungfa; @Alexy; @Raico; @David; @TroyDASH; @nibiruhybrid (Mark Mason); @springshiker (Joe Morac), i.e. the Press!!
Hopefully they’ll all pop in and give us some feedback.
Main purpose is obviously to show we don’t have anything to hide and that we’re open for constructive criticism (which I’m sure we’ll get :rolleyes:) If any other people (before 2013) would like to pop in – PM me ;)

We have lost two of our evaluators through real life: Chosen and Benglian.
Both of them gave valuable time and ideas! Can't thank them enough!! :clap: :clap: and I suspect we'll see more of them once the time issues are sorted.

This mean we’ll be recruiting quite soon and we are also busy voting for a Master Evaluator to help me cope – bit off a bit more than I can chew. Will be announced quite soon: MEv duties here: https://goo.gl/Ug3uvD

What pleased me most was to see the improvements in the Proposal marks of those that took, what the Ev’s suggested, to heart and put the effort in to provide more info.
That is really what the PEC is about: Better info for the MNO’s to vote on.

We’ll be inviting a number of ‘senior’ members to come and visit our slack to see what we do and how we do it
Hopefully they’ll all pop in and give us some feedback.

did not get anything
is that a new /different slack ?

Back