• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Mass marketing campaign using facial recognition

Should we give $5 to everyone who signs up using facial recognition ??

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

Dashmaximalist

There have many marketing campaigns tried in the past however none have achieved the mass numbers that we seek , the reason is sort of obvious , it's a classic chicken and egg problem , unless we have lot of users ,businesses will not accept dash , unless lot of businesses accept dash people won't start using dash.

Of these two pieces getting users is obviously the more difficult piece ( typical US banks spend over 200-300 USD for getting a user, now that's how important users are). unfortunately so far we only focused on the businesses like Funding pos terminals etc ...this needs to changed.

Using combination of facial recognition and otp verification we can achieve a definite and unique user verification and avoid fraud to a very high level (we can put further checks if needed )

Once a user is verified as unique and new, the user gets $5 and then he/she gets a unique referral id/link using which users earn $5 when their referral signs up , so our total cost per acquisition of a new user is $10. This money although is not good for a typical user in USA or UK ... It's good for users in Nigeria or Venezuela.

If we can sign up say 100k-500k users in a country like Venezuela or Nigeria we have a real shot of making dash go viral in that geography.
We should absolutely put our focus in countries like this (where inflation is super high) instead of USA or UK where people have high faith in their financial system.

Now some people think giving free money is bad idea but here's the deal about currencies , currencies unlike a physical product like food get their value only from its size of network of users so when a large number of people start using dash then everyone starts using that's how it works ..

This app / website need not be run by DASH Core, it will be a separate marketing company per se, so there are no legal liabilities etc

The missing piece in previous crypto air drops was that they didn't have a proper user verification system and the plans bombed. Facial recognition using a simple $10 smartphone can change that.

In Fact, we can give lesser amounts to begin with , say we start with giving $2 for sign up and $2 for referring others and can see how it works ,I bet people in Venezuela or Nigeria will still find this exciting and the best part is as the value of dash rises their balance values keep rising too.

so even if a hacker hacks the database he doesnt get anything useful out of it

Finally, for the amounts that we are giving most people won't find it worth opening their accounts with a crypto exchange and cash it , they would rather buy a coffee or something with that. So we need to make sure we list the business near to the users that are accepting dash right on their app , this encourages both sides as said before.

I understand Evolution will be a game-changer in the crypto space, but remember this, getting users to the platform will remain as difficult as ever.

Now as our market cap rises we can do bigger and bigger campaigns like this .. and one day convince the people of bigger countries to join the bandwagon as well.

Dash is the best currency out there, but unless we come up with the best distribution system too, some else will and they will win the biggest prize in human history ever !

edit: I understand some people have data protection issues , here's a solution for that

All facial data would be hashed at source and the hashed data will be stored which will be used to make comparison and verification( this is similar to password hashing most secure sites do ), so our data will be useless for hackers even if they manage to hack it

Last edited:
Really great idea to get the discussion going... Do you think there are any privacy concerns which we would need to counter with? (I imagine an immediate reaction would be, I though Dash was supposed to be Privacy focused coin?)

Any thoughts @Dashmaximalist ?

Really great idea to get the discussion going... Do you think there are any privacy concerns which we would need to counter with? (I imagine an immediate reaction would be, I though Dash was supposed to be Privacy focused coin?)

Any thoughts @Dashmaximalist ?
Thanks for the support , i dont think there will be major privacy concerns per se , having said that we will clearly mention what the T&Cs are. we are only collecting 1-2 pictures for the sake of verification for which the user gets immediate benefit. So the deal is pretty clear.

Once users get dash from us , they can use it however they want i.e they can use private send to store it in a different wallet etc.

we can post some introductory videos about dash that would help users understand what Dash stands for etc

Using combination of facial recognition and otp verification we can achieve a definite and unique user verification and avoid fraud to a very high level (we can put further checks if needed )

[...]

If we can sign up say 100k-500k users

I see MASSIVE privacy concerns here, we'd be creating/collecting huge amounts of very sensitive data.

And history shows, when there's data, it gets abused/leaked/stolen/sold sooner or later.

Only no data is good data.

I see MASSIVE privacy concerns here, we'd be creating/collecting huge amounts of very sensitive data.

And history shows, when there's data, it gets abused/leaked/stolen/sold sooner or later.

its really easy say no data is good data, there are always costs for benefits gained, Do you have a better idea that can gain millions of users with minimal cost ? having said we will keep enough data protection systems ( millions of websites are running with users data so its not reinventing wheel )
This app / website need not run by DASH Core, it will be a separate marketing company per se.

please remember that we are talking about signing up millions of users and saving tons of third world countries from hyperinflation ( potentially ) , do you think they are worried about someone taking their picture, when their currency is depreciating 10% every day and can't buy enough bread with their shit currency ??

i really wish people had thought about the suffering people go under when crushing hyperinflation sets in , it's not a pretty picture
http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...s/news-story/da416b8004bbf7730ebd8d753fa2c26c

face of hunger and malnutrition from hyperinflation
http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/in...r-malnutrition-venezuela-161007055723064.html

Last edited:

i see some people have data protection issues, but please be reminded that this is not an issue at all, here's how

all facial data would be hashed at source and we will only store the hash to make our comparison ( this is similar to password hashing most secure sites do )

Last edited:
i see some people have data protection issues, but please be reminded that this is not an issue at all, here's how

all facial data would be hashed at source and we will only store the hash to make our comparison ( this is similar to password hashing most secure sites do )

Is it even possible to do a comparison using only hashes? I don't know how facial recognition works, but the data from facial recognition software I would imagine doesn't need to match exactly with what is on file like a password does, but there are an infinite number of "very close" possibilities that could result in a match

Hashing isn't useful for facial recognition due to cascade effect - two near-identical photos will hash to completely different values.

I think a better compromise for privacy vs limiting duplicates/looters would be autheticating with Facebook profile. Five big reasons why FB would be better:
  1. Is a familiar process for users to identify themselves to gain access to a service (think Tinder)
  2. Leverages Facebook's very mature anti-duplicate systems, rather than Dash re-inventing the wheel
  3. Dash-side we only keep a token, no user data whatsover
  4. May help protect you by excluding US/EU sanctioned countries and people (eg Stellar give-away does this)
  5. Easier for them to share if they opt to do so, helping virality
Yes it excludes people that don't use facebook, but 80/20 rule and all that - solve for the biggest gain first, and then deal with those other cases later.

I think a better compromise for privacy vs limiting duplicates/looters would be autheticating with Facebook profile.

Using Facebook for privacy...
That's a good one, I really laughed long and loud.

You want to have a closer look at Facebook's business-model.

Is it even possible to do a comparison using only hashes? I don't know how facial recognition works, but the data from facial recognition software I would imagine doesn't need to match exactly with what is on file like a password does, but there are an infinite number of "very close" possibilities that could result in a match

i suggest you check out kairos api , https://www.kairos.com/features who are the ones who can do hashing at client side if required

comparision of various algos out there
https://www.kairos.com/blog/face-recognition-kairos-vs-microsoft-vs-google-vs-amazon-vs-opencv

i think we need to think of the bigger picture which is the impact , like i said before , most developing countries don't care about privacy at all.

The bigger benefit of having a stable currency far outweighs these concerns

people who voted no,

do you understand the suffering of having a currency that is falling 10% every day ???

do you want another civil war in venezuela and nigeria ??

do you know that a strong currency is a big motivator to keep dictators power in check ?

Currency is a matter of life and death for millions of people

very very rarely do we get an opportunity to both help the poor and profit from it , cryptocurrency is only such thing as far i can tell

if you have a better / cheaper idea to spread Dash quickly to these countries please let us know

please dont stop the revolution with frivolous excuses

Last edited:
people who voted no,
do you understand the suffering of having a currency that is falling 10% every day ???
do you want another civil war in venezuela and nigeria ??
do you know that a strong currency is a big motivator to keep dictators power in check ?
Currency is a matter of life and death for millions of people
very very rarely do we get an opportunity to both help the poor and profit from it , cryptocurrency is only such thing as far i can tell
if you have a better / cheaper idea to spread Dash quickly to these countries please let us know
please dont stop the revolution with frivolous excuses
You can give 5$ without privacy issues.
Try the proof of individuality.

8828b82c7ac1dc5067b2ad794db326b09d986bcf.jpg

Last edited:
i am sorry but dont under how exactly proof of individuality works , is there some blog or something that explains it in detail ?

No there is no blog. I have only posted the idea here, in this forum.

I can answer to whatever questions you have.

In brief, the proof of individuality is a meeting where people put their public keys (their wallets) into a ballot box.

thats a good idea , but there is a cost of election and making sure some one doesnt put too many public keys etc right

There's cost of printing keys , counting them plus most people have no idea of crypto , so it probably doesn't work for beginners per se

its works great once everyone starts using crypto and this idea can be used to have voting done for elections or something

thats a good idea , but there is a cost of election and making sure some one doesnt put too many public keys etc right
There is not cost of election. The people who attend the meeting (it is a closed door meeting) count the number of attendees, and assure that the number of public keys found in the ballot box is equal to the number of attendees. If there is an objection, the procedure is repeated. The rest meetings (that occur concurently in other rooms, in other places) , are allowed to watch the procedure of every meeting (the meeting has a camera inside the closed door room) and sign that a specific meeting is legitimate (or not).

There's cost of printing keys , counting them plus most people have no idea of crypto , so it probably doesn't work for beginners per se
Yes there is cost of printing keys, but this is not a cost of the meeting, but a cost for every attendee. Every attendee is responsible to print his public key, but if he has no money to print it, he can write it in a paper as well. As I said there is no cost for counting the public keys extracted from the ballot box. All attendees count them, and all of them agree that the number is correct. Yes, people should have an idea of what crypto is, but the same happens with your proposition.
its works great once everyone starts using crypto and this idea can be used to have voting done for elections or something
Yes it will be used for voting and elections as well, but the universal dividend could be its first use.

Last edited:
ok that sounds cool , but there is a cost of pull all the people to one a place ,so we need some charismatic leaders who can do that.

what gives us the guarantee that this groups says the truth about the number of people in the group? then we need photographic proof of each person who attended it , now we come back to the facial recognition all over again

ok that sounds cool , but there is a cost of pull all the people to one a place ,so we need some charismatic leaders who can do that.

what gives us the guarantee that this groups says the truth about the number of people in the group? then we need photographic proof of each person who attended it , now we come back to the facial recognition all over again

...and I really wish you wouldn't because it's starting to look like you're more interested in the images than anything else. The idea is great, it could do a great job of spreading awareness and do it where it matters most but I don't see it getting support unless privacy concerns are addressed.

You dont need charismatic leaders. Just increase the amount of the dividend, and a lot of "leaders" will be found.

The fact that all meetings occur concurrently, along with the presence of camera, guarantees that the meeting group says the truth. All the rest meeting groups sign that a specific meeting group says the truth, so the signature of the rest meeting groups also guarantees the truth.

You need a camera to prove to the rest meetings that your meeting is a closed door meeting and that the procedure is legitimate, but you dont need facial recognition. The people may wear masks. The individuality is what matters, not the face. And the individuality is assured because of the concurrency of all the meetings.

Last edited:
Back