• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Let's work hard to avoid this with the DASH foundation

Absolutely, we need to avoid this.

One big difference between the Bitcoin Foundation and the Dash Foundation is that, since the first day of operations, we are fully transparent about our finances. You can always find all our funds in:
https://www.darkcoinfoundation.org/about/funds/

Also, we are being super conservative with the funds to avoid future problems. Until we know very well what to do with the funds we have decided not to touch them, not even to refund expenses that some of us are incurring.

We are working hard to come with a model that makes the foundation financially viable. Any ideas are welcomed!

Absolutely, we need to avoid this.

One big difference between the Bitcoin Foundation and the Dash Foundation is that, since the first day of operations, we are fully transparent about our finances. You can always find all our funds in:
https://www.darkcoinfoundation.org/about/funds/

Also, we are being super conservative with the funds to avoid future problems. Until we know very well what to do with the funds we have decided not to touch them, not even to refund expenses that some of us are incurring.

We are working hard to come with a model that makes the foundation financially viable. Any ideas are welcomed!

https://twitter.com/TaoOfSatoshi/status/584457693865345026?s=09

It seems to me that the Dash/Darkcoin Foundation was set up with clear modis operandi and they've been sticking to it. I'd like to see a bit more detail in the minutes, like so n so suggested this, so n so explained that that would conflict with this. etc.. anything of actual interest that explains ideas being talked about. But then again, at least the minutes that are posted say what was discussed.

The saying that the smart ones never stick around to be blamed seems true. Somebody send the lifeboats, looks like they are abandoning ship.

I do wish things get fixed there though.

Me too. They are the poster child for crypto after all. However, nothing seems to be able to kill Bitcoin/Crtypto anyway. (As per Bitcoinobituraries webpage lol.)

...Dash needs to ride the Btc coat-tails for some time yet, until we are ready AND our natural superiority becomes impossible for the world to ignore. :)

Me too. They are the poster child for crypto after all. However, nothing seems to be able to kill Bitcoin/Crtypto anyway. (As per Bitcoinobituraries webpage lol.)

...Dash needs to ride the Btc coat-tails for some time yet, until we are ready AND our natural superiority becomes impossible for the world to ignore. :)
Agreed. Bitcoin has become too big to fail in the sense that so many good people want to see it succeed that it may never die, unless something better grabs that audiences attention.

For instance, cash hasn't died yet even though most people use cards.

So far, the foundation has met very infrequently. Basically once every quarter. I'm glad they put up minutes, but the minutes are very sketchy. As an example:
"Discussed the ramifications of rebranding / name change."

That's it. No details at all. Really, that's not acceptable and when you review it in the next meeting, I'll bet half of the good ideas will have been forgotten. It should read like:

Discussed rebranding / name change and came up with these pros and cons:

Pros - Cons

And we concluded that rebranding was a __________idea. Therefore we agreed to _________ this idea and come up with _________ by_______(date)

THIS is what is needed to make the meetings productive and not forgotten. Also, as the membership changes, the new members will be able to review what was done previously, and not re-invent the wheel.

Once the meeting minutes are completed, the members would review them, and if they approve and agree with the minutes as written, they sign off on them, and then they are published. If not, they are edited to reflect a consensus then published.

So far, the foundation has met very infrequently. Basically once every quarter. I'm glad they put up minutes, but the minutes are very sketchy. As an example:
"Discussed the ramifications of rebranding / name change."

That's it. No details at all. Really, that's not acceptable and when you review it in the next meeting, I'll bet half of the good ideas will have been forgotten. It should read like:

Discussed rebranding / name change and came up with these pros and cons:

Pros - Cons

And we concluded that rebranding was a __________idea. Therefore we agreed to _________ this idea and come up with _________ by_______(date)

THIS is what is needed to make the meetings productive and not forgotten. Also, as the membership changes, the new members will be able to review what was done previously, and not re-invent the wheel.

Once the meeting minutes are completed, the members would review them, and if they approve and agree with the minutes as written, they sign off on them, and then they are published. If not, they are edited to reflect a consensus then published.

Re frequency of meetings, we are meeting once a month now. The problem with the meetings model is that it doesn't really reflect how things are being done. The five members of the board are in constant contact by email and chat. Many of the things are discussed between meetings and then barely treated at them. That is why sometimes minutes don't have much detail. However, I agree that we should do a better work with them and try to reflect the full discussion process.

The procedure is the one you suggest. A few days before any meeting, the secretary of the board (Chris, aka eltito) sends the minute proposal of the previous meeting. We all comment on the document or via email. Usually, the first thing we do in the meeting is approve the minute of the previous one if we all agree to the amends.

Right now, we have two minutes pending approval. The reason for the backlog is that I missed the last meeting because of a last minute medical emergency (nothing really serious, but I had a couple really rough days :smile:), so I could not participate in the discussion about the minute of the previous meeting and I've sent a few comments. That minute should be published very soon and the one from the last minute will be approved and published when we next meet in around 3 weeks time.

That's better. Make sure any pertinent ideas get logged, if not publicly, privately so that when you meet again, you don't have to start from scratch again. Also, I understand if you don't want to do a public meeting minute for this kind of thing, but you as a group should have something that says, Joe will look into the cost of prawns and suppliers, Jack said he knows a bootlegger who can supply 500 crates of whiskey per week, and will get in touch with him to make a deal by Friday (yes, I've been watching Boardwalk Empire) Sally said she'd woo Nucky Thompson and steal his ledger at the New Year's Eve party on Wednesday night.... etc...

Just saying, it helps each person also remember what their assignment is :) Not making it public is probably a good idea, as you don't want to create undue pressure, but you do want to keep everyone's eyes on the prize :)

Back