• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Ideas for connecting Pinidea DR2 450MH/s ASIC to the internet

Donieguy

So, I'm in a bit of a bind. I bought this Pinidea DR2 to mine DASH while I'm at technical training in the USAF. They give us free electricity, so I figured it'd be worth it to try. Well it turns out that the wifi we receive in the dorms is from Boingo hotspots. We have routers, but there's only one, in one room, that gives wifi to about 5 other rooms. This router is NOT in my room, nor are we allowed to tamper with it. It also turns out the Cat5 LAN ports we have in our rooms aren't even connected!!! So I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how to connect my ASIC? I was wondering if I could somehow use a USB wireless networking card, or use a LAN to share the wifi access from my laptop or desktop. Boingo wifi is MAC address based, so for instance it only allows up to 3 devices to be connected per account, with 2 more for $10 extra/month. Right now I have my Xbox, Laptop, and Cellphone's MAC addresses on the account. Anyone have any ideas I could try out?

You can buy your own cellular to wifi router. I'm not allowed to post links yet apparently so check for "300Mbps OpenWRT Firmware SIM Slot WiFi Router With PCI-E Slot Support 3G/4G/AC Module" on aliexpress or "Verizon MiFi 6620L Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot" on amazon. The jetpacks aren't made to run 24 hours so it may lock up every couple days and you have to reboot it :p

You can buy your own cellular to wifi router. I'm not allowed to post links yet apparently so check for "300Mbps OpenWRT Firmware SIM Slot WiFi Router With PCI-E Slot Support 3G/4G/AC Module" on aliexpress or "Verizon MiFi 6620L Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot" on amazon. The jetpacks aren't made to run 24 hours so it may lock up every couple days and you have to reboot it :p
I'm new to this concept.. How does this cellular router solve my connectivity issues? Don't I have to pay for a connection/ISP/Phone company? If it's like $10/month that's great, but if it's like $60 that's not so great.

Depending on the bandwidth requirements you could get cellular service that costs anywhere from $10-$30 per month

if they give you a password for the wifi get a wifi extender, they all come with LAN port, just plug to power and set it up based on the wifi network.

Does anybody know the options to set on this miner so it can mine Quark? I cannot find anything online...

Thanks,

Back