• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

I think Dash needs some changes

Why is Sam working right now on NFT support, when that feature is scheduled for Dash Platform v2.0 ?
Why is Sam not fully concentrating his time on finishing the last remaining consensus issue, Masternode Voting, verifying Platform fees and continuing work on internal code review ? How will Dash Platform ever get feaure-complete on Testnet for MVP release on Mainnet, when features like these are just thrown into the mix ?

It might have been an opportunistic PR where he saw the chance to get this done now and it made sense, eg, he was already working with the same code, had spare time, or felt it made 'sense' to add this feature now. It could also be a form of procrastination, where he secretly loathes the remaining tasks and would do almost anything to avoid doing them, even adding in NFT support into v1.0.

Personally, I think releasing platform without NFT support in the first iteration would be a big let down, because this is something that any reasonable person would expect we get right out of the gate, so I am glad he took an extra couple of days to get this feature built. That said, it is clear we are not truly in the testing phase, as we are still adding new features and thus the code base is quite fluid, this PR alone was about 5k lines of code.

Weird to be in a situation where Dash users can't register their Platform profile picture directly onto the Dash blockchain / Platform chain due to restrictions etc etc (apparently we will need to use a third party provider like imgur for that), but it looks like there will be no problem to register NFT's directly onto the Dash blockchain / Platform chain. If DCG is already integrating NFT's support, then DCG should also allow the uploading of profile pictures of identities directly on the blockchain (as orginally visioned).

Last edited:
Weird to be in a situation where Dash users can't register their Platform profile picture directly onto the Dash blockchain / Platform chain due to restrictions etc etc (apparently we will need to use a third party provider like imgur for that), but it looks like there will be no problem to register NFT's directly onto the Dash blockchain / Platform chain. If DCG is already integrating NFT's support, then DCG should also allow the uploading of profile pictures of identities directly on the blockchain (as originally visioned).

QE expressed concern that if enough data was allowed to be stored on chain, that platform would be used to store so-called 'illegal data'. He then mused that MNOs could act as moderators and delete said data which they felt crossed the line (whatever that line is) and of course he got some push back on this because it goes against what blockchain is and no MNO is going to be reviewing content served by their masternodes and if they did, history shows that they will always err on the side of caution and thus Platform would turn into a censorship hell. To circumvent this, it was decided to drastically limit the number of bytes one can store on platform until a solution is found.

It is a bit hypocrit to on one hand drastically limit the number of bytes one can store on platform to the extend it does not even allow platform profile picture storage, while on the other hand to set the door wide open for NFT's, that can be used to store the same kind of 'illegal data' on Platform. Only with NFT's it will be immutable data.

Link : https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/extremist-nfts-across-blockchains (ironically Dash is even mentioned in that article, but i don't think author is aware of Dash budget system, author seems to view Dash purely as a privacy coin)

OpenSea has stated itself that a sample trial has exposed that 80 percent of NFTs on its marketplace are illegitimate or plagiarized.

I am predicting a wave of scams hitting Dash Platform with regards to NFT's, after this 'feature' gets merged (basic NFT storage on Platform) and Platform gets active on Mainnet. Most likely giving Dash a bad reputation with regards to NFT's and undermining Platform other (more important) use cases (dApps, Identities, Blockchain registered usernames)

Last edited:
It is a bit hypocrit to on one hand drastically limit the number of bytes one can store on platform to the extend it does not even allow platform profile picture storage, while on the other hand to set the door wide open for NFT's, that can be used to store the same kind of 'illegal data' on Platform. Only with NFT's it will be immutable data.

Link : https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/extremist-nfts-across-blockchains (ironically Dash is even mentioned in that article, but i don't think author is aware of Dash budget system, author seems to view Dash purely as a privacy coin)

I am predicting a wave of scams hitting Dash Platform with regards to NFT's, if this 'feature' gets merged (basic NFT storage on Platform).
Giving Dash a bad reputation.

My understanding is the same data limits will apply to the NFTs, so you won' be able to store an image in them, just the hash of an image that is located somewhere else.

Will that draw users ? Actually having ownership of an image (ETH), versus just having ownership of a hash of an image that is located somewhere else ?

Seems like a bit of a bleak feature to promote for Dash. Can we even promote that ? Most likely this NFT's feature will be much better flashed out and promotable in Platform 2.0 ? (after a solution has been found with regards to what kind of data should be stored on Platform and after the Platform storage size restrictions have been lifted). It all seems like such a rush job to me right now.

Last edited:
Will that draw users ? Actually having ownership of an image (ETH), versus just having ownership of a hash of an image that is located somewhere else ?

Yes, it's enough because tools like IPFS exist and the NFT owner have the option to run their own IPFS server to keep the NFT alive.

In any event, I thought data blobs was on the list of things to add to Platform.

Basic NFTs is one thing but a well thought out and modular NFT standard would be really nice e.g. NFT car parts to make a feature complete NFT car. Add the ability to make certain parts fungible, then it would look interesting. So I tend to agree that working on NFTs looks like mission creep / distraction / procrastination.

Back