• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How do I update the wallet in Linux?

daddeo

How in the hell do I update the wallet in Linux? I compiled a wallet using Propulsions guide and it starts and hangs. It's version
v0.9.1.2-8-g11cb148-beta. I know it's not the latest one but its all thats available on github that I can see. Obviously I've never done this before so please keep the laughter down. :) I feel like such an arse for asking but my patience is wearing thin. I have about zero Linux knowledge. HELP!

Download the latest source and recompile. If you have the latest source code, you are probably out of luck. You could try recompiling anyway.

EDIT: Make a backup before you start futzing with your wallet! Things happen and you will be sad if you lose your wallet.

Download the latest source and recompile. If you have the latest source code, you are probably out of luck. You could try recompiling anyway.

EDIT: Make a backup before you start futzing with your wallet! Things happen and you will be sad if you lose your wallet.
Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded the latest files from the website but I'm not sure how to implement them to the source code I guess. Its also a new wallet so there's nothing in it to back up.

The instructions should be in the readme. See the following files and follow the directions:
  1. README.md
  2. INSTALL
  3. build-unix.md

I just noticed that a new release has been issued on GitHub so maybe that will bring me up to date. However, the fact remains that I couldn't figure out how to update the wallet. I tried removing the darkcoin-qt from the darkcoin folder compiled from source with the updated darkcoin-qt downloaded from the website but it won't start. I'm sure it's a simple fix, it's just out of my skill set at this point. I guess you've got to start somewhere.:)

Inside the directory where you downloaded it.
Code:
sudo git pull
sudo make clean
sudo make

If downloading QT version add to the end of it:
Code:
qmake

Note all this is assuming your downloaded from github.

Inside the directory where you downloaded it.
Code:
sudo git pull
sudo make clean
sudo make

If downloading QT version add to the end of it:
Code:
qmake

Note all this is assuming your downloaded from github.
Thanks! I'll try that after work. Another rookie question. The source from which I compiled the wallet in my first post using your guide did start ok when finished but got stuck syncing at block 45993 or something. So I was trying to update to the newest qt version to solve the syncing issue. Until this morning the source on github was the same as I had tried before. So how would I update the client with the same source code? It's so much easier it seems in Windows- just download and run the latest .exe and done.

Wait, did you mean to put the new updated darkcoin-qt file in the directory I had the old one and then run the commands you suggested?

Wait, did you mean to put the new updated darkcoin-qt file in the directory I had the old one and then run the commands you suggested?

Nope. In the terminal CD into the directory where the source is. Then do the above commands. If git pull doesn't work, then just delete the source directory but not your .darkcoin directory. Only the source.

Let me start with I'm not entirely new to cryptos. With the advent of x11 added to ccminer I decided to give DRK a spin. I run Xubuntu Linux 13.10. I downloaded and compiled from source this evening the qt wallet without darksend. It didn't take long for the wallet to report "0 hours behind" but it's been sitting there that way for some time now and still says "Wallet Out of sync". Sifted the forums and found the .conf is virtually identical to other wallets with the exception of rpc port numbers, etc. After letting the wallet acquire some nodes, getpeerinfo and adding them to my .conf mine looks like this...

rpcuser=darkcoin
rpcpassword=[crazy-long-password]
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcallowip=192.168.*.*
rpcport=4455
gen=0
server=1
listen=1

addnode=54.80.16.112
addnode=23.23.186.131
addnode=162.252.83.44
addnode=62.57.35.214
addnode=107.170.94.162
addnode=185.7.80.116
addnode=54.187.230.6
addnode=185.12.7.79
addnode=188.226.167.143
addnode=67.189.108.129
addnode=67.215.11.196

Why do you think it won't finish syncing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually prefer to compile my own machine specific, hence optimized code from source. Curious how going that route is inferior. Is the darksend feature closed source?

I usually prefer to compile my own machine specific, hence optimized code from source. Curious how going that route is inferior. Is the darksend feature closed source?

Darksend is closed source during RC (release candidate) stage. There is a schedule somewhere about when it will be open source but I cannot find.

EDIT - found schedule - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.msg6488297#msg6488297

Schedule has changed today, so open source may be pushed out a little.

Okay, I updated to RC v0.10.7.3-beta. Still have the same problem. Hover over the "0 hours behind" sync progress bar, the tool tip says "Catching up... Processed 67511 of 470000 (estimated) yatta yatta yatta...)" and the Wallet still shows out of sync. o_O

More info. Solo mining for a solid day was fruitless so tonight I tried pool mining at drkpool.com:3333 using both cpu-miner 1.2c and/or ccminer v1.0. Both report "stratum_subscribe timed out" over and over. So, not only is the wallet misbehaving, I can't even mine. drkpool.com resolves to 162.252.83.46 which is a NOC4HOST address, hivelocity.net hosted account. Looks like the actual data center may be somewhere in GA. Open ports 22, 80, 3333, 9998, 9999. Pinging is blocked but I can still http to it with Firefox. Router UPNP is enabled. Other coins work fine.

I don't know about syncing on the main net with 10.7.3, I have only tried on on testnet. It doesn't work there, but I think the testnet is broke. Give me a few minutes to try on main net.

Mining is different can of worms. Don't bother CPU mining. The difficulty and hash rate are very high and the rewards are low. Drkpool was down earlier but appears to be back to normal now. I have no experience with ccminer, can't help. Try another pool.

zerofossilfuel Do this:

Code:
minerd.exe -a X11 -o stratum+tcp://[pool address]: port  -u Username -p password

Also your wallet is not related to actually mining.
Thanks sir but I do know how to mine. The wallet only has to be running (or the daemon alone) if I solo mine. My line parameters are correct. I will try another pool..........

I confirm that I can pool mine at cpu-pool.net, albeit slow as molasses (45Kh/core x4 cores), but mining nonetheless, and seeing accepted shares.
P.S. Ask anyone that knows me. I don't do windoze, winblows or any other worship at the macrosoft alter. Strictly Linux now so my command line is
./minerd -a X11 -o stratum+tcp://drk.cpu-pool.net:3500 -u ZeroFossilFuel.m1 -p m1
or
./minerd -a X11 -o stratum+tcp://drkpool.com:3333 -u ZeroFossilFuel.m1 -p m1
etc etc
cpu-pool.net works. drkpool.com does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back