• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Help on Jaxx wallet

I am writing to you today in the hope that someone can help me get through to the Jaxx people. If you feel you are not the best person, then please forward this message to the best person.

I set up the Jaxx wallet to store bitcoin and Dash. My first experiment was to import some bitcoin from a paper wallet which had been accumulating some mining pool earnings. I input the private key to the Jaxx wallet, but could not understand why so little bitcoin arrived in the wallet. On investigating I found that 80%, yes 80%, had been given to transaction fee. Now this was not a trivial amount of bitcoin, 0.10151676 BTC (over £200), and all I received was 0.01285896 BTC. At no point was I able to review the transaction fee.

Now I realise this has little to do with Dash, but Dash is using the Jaxx wallet on IOS so may be affected in the same way.

My main problem is that Jaxx support are not replying to my support request and again I am concerned that they may behave the same way to Dash users.

So I would be most grateful if you can forward this message on to the Jaxx team or whoever you think might be able to help.

If this cannot be rectified, I fear for the success of crypto currencies in general because this behaviour is unacceptable and once the general public hears more stories of this kind, there is every risk that they will loose faith in crypto currencies.

I did not make any mistakes. The Jaxx wallet a) did not make me aware of the transaction fee, b) allowed the software or 3rd party to calculate a ridiculous transaction fee c) appear to have washed their hands of any responsibility for this error.

I have substantially more funds in Dash (over 100 Dash). I am not currently disposed to commit any of those fund to the Jaxx wallet until this problem is resolved because I fear the same thing will happen again.

Thank you so much for reading this far. If there is anything you can do to help, I would greatly appreciate it. I think that the rest of the Dash team should know about this.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine

emailed
(i never used the wallet tbh so i can not comment on any of this - but i unfortunately heard some complains before)

That's terrible!

I started using Jaxx last week and while I have't experienced this, I did notice another bug on Saturday.
I transfered (Shapeshift) some DASH to ETH early Saturday to catch the run up. I checked my wallet some time later and found that though the transfer had gone through, my DASH still appeared to be in my wallet. This double entry remain for a number of hours and didn't correct untill much later.

I'm moving the few DASH I have remaining in Jaxx back to my DASH Core wallet today.

I am writing to you today in the hope that someone can help me get through to the Jaxx people. If you feel you are not the best person, then please forward this message to the best person.

I set up the Jaxx wallet to store bitcoin and Dash. My first experiment was to import some bitcoin from a paper wallet which had been accumulating some mining pool earnings. I input the private key to the Jaxx wallet, but could not understand why so little bitcoin arrived in the wallet. On investigating I found that 80%, yes 80%, had been given to transaction fee. Now this was not a trivial amount of bitcoin, 0.10151676 BTC (over £200), and all I received was 0.01285896 BTC. At no point was I able to review the transaction fee.

Now I realise this has little to do with Dash, but Dash is using the Jaxx wallet on IOS so may be affected in the same way.

My main problem is that Jaxx support are not replying to my support request and again I am concerned that they may behave the same way to Dash users.

So I would be most grateful if you can forward this message on to the Jaxx team or whoever you think might be able to help.

If this cannot be rectified, I fear for the success of crypto currencies in general because this behaviour is unacceptable and once the general public hears more stories of this kind, there is every risk that they will loose faith in crypto currencies.

I did not make any mistakes. The Jaxx wallet a) did not make me aware of the transaction fee, b) allowed the software or 3rd party to calculate a ridiculous transaction fee c) appear to have washed their hands of any responsibility for this error.

I have substantially more funds in Dash (over 100 Dash). I am not currently disposed to commit any of those fund to the Jaxx wallet until this problem is resolved because I fear the same thing will happen again.

Thank you so much for reading this far. If there is anything you can do to help, I would greatly appreciate it. I think that the rest of the Dash team should know about this.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine

You can thank Blockstream/Core for this loss. It has nothing to due with Jaxx or Dash. If you locate the sweep transaction on Bitcoin's blockchain you can add up the total size of the inputs and see that small value inputs (like mining pool payouts) have been effectively taxed to zero.

Edit: I did not mean to sound cold. You are right that Jaxx (and all wallets) should give you the ability to review the fee prior to sending the transaction so that in a case like his you could at least explore other possibilities for reducing the damage.

Last edited:
Back