• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Getting into Stack Exchange

fernando

Powered by Dash
Foundation Member
We have a great section in the wiki called Questions. In the near future I would like to have it more prominently featured in the website because this kind of site is the only way to provide support for a large base of users.

However, the gold standard for the QA sites is Stack Exchange, especially for developers, which I believe is an audience we should chase. Stack Exchange has been around for many years and thousands of users post there everyday. Having a site in Stack Exchange is difficult because you need to prove you are relevant enough and it takes long. There are only a few dozen sites (https://stackexchange.com/sites#). At them moment the only cryptos with a site are Bitcoin and Ethereum. Getting there is quite big in my book.

I have started the process for us. This is not urgent at the moment, but I think it makes sense to start it because it takes time and work. This is not incompatible with Questions in our wiki, if we are relevant enough to get into Stack Exchange we can have both :)

I want to ask everyone to please help with the Stack Exchange effort if you can. For that, you can do the following:

1. Follow this link, sign up and follow the proposal:
http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/98231/dash?referrer=OnZlN8Tf2aA27teqo7q7mA2
We still need 59 more followers to qualify for the next phase

2. Vote on example questions, comment and make new ones. In this phase we don't answer, we are only defining what kind of site/community we would have. We need 40 questions with a score of at least 10 to move forward. There are certain limits on what each user can post/vote per day, so this really needs to be a distributed effort.

All kind of questions are ok. You can only do 5 and mine maybe too general. Please don't hesitate with things as "How do I install a wallet in Windows 7?" or "How do I convert my Darkcoins to Dash?". That is the kind of things I search on other stack exchange sites. Please consider that this is not for internal consumption, this is a door to the wider community. I say so because I think we should avoid questions that not relevant for someone who is not really into Dash. Anyway, feel free to ask anything, votes by everyone will later shape what the site should be if we are able to get there.

If you want more info on the process you can find it here:
https://area51.stackexchange.com/faq

Thanks!

As I wrote on Slack, I strongly support this idea. We need a central place where people can ask and receive answers from the community about dash related topics. The engine of stackoverflow is ideal for this.
If we achieve this, make sure to make this our #1 q&a place though (maybe even by making support categories/topics read-only and redirecting users to this new platform.

Stack exchange always features in the top answers from Google for my tech questions, its a really great resource. Having DASH on it is a great idea.

EDIT: hmm, maybe thats Stack Overflow, getting them confused now

Last edited:
Stack exchange always features in the top answers from Google for my tech questions, its a really great resource. Having DASH on it is a great idea.

EDIT: hmm, maybe thats Stack Overflow, getting them confused now
Stack Overflow is the first and biggest Stack Exchange site. What this tries is to do one of those sites, but just for Dash related questions.

So basically, we should only vote things up to 10, then put our votes on other things until we get to 10 up votes, so we can efficiently reach our goal, right?

someone asked a question, but I am unable to answer. I keep logging in, but when I go to the question, it doesn't allow me to answer and says I need to log in over n over again. So if anyone here can answer this: "Does this proposal interfere with the current BitCoin Site?" That would be good.

I'd say it certainly doesn't interfere with the Bitcoin site. Although Dash is a fork off of Bitcoin, Dash is a completely different project with 2 years of active development resulting in a ?% increase/divergence of code and adding many new innovations that create a project that is fundamentally different from Bitcoin in structure / at it's core. etc... I'm sure with a little help here we can come up with a great answer :)

So basically, we should only vote things up to 10, then put our votes on other things until we get to 10 up votes, so we can efficiently reach our goal, right?

Exactly! I just moved one of my votes from a question that was over 10 already to another one.

someone asked a question, but I am unable to answer. I keep logging in, but when I go to the question, it doesn't allow me to answer and says I need to log in over n over again. So if anyone here can answer this: "Does this proposal interfere with the current BitCoin Site?" That would be good.

I'd say it certainly doesn't interfere with the Bitcoin site. Although Dash is a fork off of Bitcoin, Dash is a completely different project with 2 years of active development resulting in a ?% increase/divergence of code and adding many new innovations that create a project that is fundamentally different from Bitcoin in structure / at it's core. etc... I'm sure with a little help here we can come up with a great answer :)

I have just answered. but more people can answer too :) You should be able too... it is weird, I see your questions but I don't see you on the sidebar withe the followers... maybe you have unfollowed the proposal by accident and it doesn't let you answer because of that?

We doing quite good, 23 followers already and we are up into the hot proposals list :)

dhXs4Ef.png

One important thing to consider is that to get to the next phase we need not only followers (at least 60), but questions with at least 10 votes (40 of them).

The number of votes is just 5 per person, so please use them. And if you see questions with more than 10 votes, please vote for others. If you have votes on questions with more than 10 votes, you can move them to other questions.

RE those votes, if you voted earlier, please go see where the votes lie. We only need 10 per proposed thread. There are many with 11 or more, and these are wasted votes. Please put your votes elsewhere for us if you can (just click on the up arrow to turn it off, and redistribute them) Help us get through this :) And please check back every once in a while because people will come in and deposit their votes in the wrong spot, and if you can move yours again, it'd be a great help! Thanks again!

Yeah but to take the vote down you need to have 150 reputation points ;)

Back