• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Forking Megathread

we may all be overreacting a bit - I'd give it another week before we consider looking at more drastic types of measures

Centralization of voluntary action? Gain nothing forcible. Centralize for no benefit...
It doesn't mean they can't have a MN if they don't register... Forcing them to fork is more centralizing don't you think? :)

I don't see how being on a mailing list will force bad actors to update... Its no different from gun control: it has no impact on the bad guys, imposes burdens on the good guys, helps the bad guys know exactly what to do... seen this pattern before... its been over a week. This isn't an accident...

It doesn't mean they can't have a MN if they don't register... Forcing them to fork is more centralizing don't you think? :)
Thats my point. Yay, a mailing list! Still run all the wrong masternodes you want! Solves nothing...

I don't see how being on a mailing list will force bad actors to update... Its no different from gun control: it has no impact on the bad guys, imposes burdens on the good guys, helps the bad guys know exactly what to do... seen this pattern before... its been over a week. This isn't an accident...
Your conspiracy talk had someone spooked, just sold 7k DRK on Cryptsy...

we may all be overreacting a bit - I'd give it another week before we consider looking at more drastic types of measures
It never hurts to consider the possibility and create a plan before there is a problem. I consider it probable. None can deny it is exemplified as at least possible. A stick needs to be built is the least one can take away as even if it is not intentional, one might say that it can happen by accident is even worse... it proves that this vector is not as impossible as thought and the only seemingly effective barrier is to cost more... buy your way to network security?

It never hurts to consider the possibility and create a plan before there is a problem. I consider it probable. None can deny it is exemplified as at least possible. A stick needs to be built is the least one can take away as even if it is not intentional, one might say that it can happen by accident is even worse... it proves that this vector is not as impossible as thought and the only seemingly effective barrier is to cost more... buy your way to network security?
I'm sure we will get through this stronger than ever, like we always do. If you're right, this is akin to a coder finding a bug, Evan will think of a way for it never to be an issue again. Good that it happened now, before DRK is widespread.

This! It seems some folks forget that last week saw 6(!) releases, and in the past (v9, v10) it took at least one week for masternode network to catch up. But V11 is the first time people see the stats for that...

Having that said: v10 masternodes are not forking the blockchain, as they are not mining. Only way to fork a blockchain is to create (aka mine) a block which is "invalid" and not handled properly. Masternodes are passive re. blockchain generation. So please stop putting the responsibility for the forks on the masternode operators.

This! It seems some folks forget that last week saw 6(!) releases, and in the past (v9, v10) it took at least one week for masternode network to catch up. But V11 is the first time people see the stats for that...

Having that said: v10 masternodes are not forking the blockchain, as they are not mining. Only way to fork a blockchain is to create (aka mine) a block which is "invalid" and not handled properly. Masternodes are passive re. blockchain generation. So please stop putting the responsibility for the forks on the masternode operators.
Thank you for that, bud. Are there any ideas as to what IS causing this, then?

Flare, thanks for this post. Many people on this forum and IRC keep saying MNs on the older versions caused the forks and I keep saying but the network was stable on the older versions, there must be something in the Core version that rejects the blocks... But I'm a noob, I don't quite understand all this.

What has been causing the forks, flare? and are we out of the woods now? Thank you!

Back