• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Development Update - Oct 1, 2014

I agree.

eduffield Is this a feature that would improve hash distribution? This is not a suggestion that "setgenerate true x" will mine many (if any) coins, but a voluntary way that people can contribute with the small chance they will get a nice 4.8DRK surprise.

From the testing i have done, it is actually based on the number of cores used, more on how much CPU is used. On my CPU, setting it to use 1 actually spreads a load of about 14% across all 8 cores.

Any other devs have a view on this?

Man... Now you're turning into a miner... You ain't going anywhere.... lol...

I use to mine DRK faithfully until I could no longer pay the electric bill - lol
I got 2 rigs with a total of 8 270x :-D

edit: I never sell my DRKs

Also mining gives everybody the possibility to get to some DRK without the need to go thru an exchange or thru some smug MN holder who thinks he is now supposed to be the sole source of DRK.
This is a currency. It is to be used as a currency. The users of this currency will use it as... wait for it... a currency. They want an anonymous and instant transaction. Altcoins are done attracting new miners, and even old miners are selling their rigs. This coin will find adoption by being the most useful currency, not because people want to build rigs to generate it. On the flip side, building those rigs is providing a service that is technically not even needed by DRK in particular, from a point of view it is not even bringing usefulness to the coin if the network would be in even better hands were MNs generating blocks. If the masternode network can complete the task better, is masternode owners receiving a better profit a reason to shut down the idea? Tell me why we need miners.

This is a currency. It is to be used as a currency. The users of this currency will use it as... wait for it... a currency. They want an anonymous and instant transaction. Altcoins are done attracting new miners, and even old miners are selling their rigs. This coin will find adoption by being the most useful currency, not because people want to build rigs to generate it. On the flip side, building those rigs is providing a service that is technically not even needed by DRK in particular, from a point of view it is not even bringing usefulness to the coin if the network would be in even better hands were MNs generating blocks. If the masternode network can complete the task better, is masternode owners receiving a better profit a reason to shut down the idea? Tell me why we need miners.

We need mining possibility as an open door for new people to easily enter the coin creation business.
You just want to force them to go thru you MN holder, and buy the DRK at basically any price you wish to sell.
This is the definition of centralization and monopoly.

I see what you are trying to do, please be warned that you will cry like your avatar pic if you let your greed get in the way of letting NEW PEOPLE easily enter the darkcoin business.

Come on, this is basic psychology.

Nobody wants to make rich people even more richer.

Everybody wants to be able to participate in a system that is beneficial to everybody involved and that treats the weakest among us the same way it treats the strongest.

Don't create a gated community and expect large masses to join.

Come on, this is basic psychology.

Nobody wants to make rich people even more richer.

Everybody wants to be able to participate in a system that is beneficial to everybody involved and that treats the weakest among us the same way it treats the strongest.

Don't create a gated community and expect large masses to join.
The day masternode owners kill miners will be the day masternode owners also kill Darkcoin. So these people need to think through before they try to convince Evan to do this. I don't believe Evan would, since he worked in the finance industry and has economics background, I'm sure he knows better than listening to this kind of talk.

Evan seems to indicate MN also depends on miners.. I'm not sure, but I don't believe Evan has any intention to get rid of miners at all, it's only an imagination of someone with too much alcohol, or something.

I agree, evan has never disappointed me, and I know he is from the austrian school of economics, so individualism as in "everybody can join/mine" is very important to him.
Accessibility is key.

What did he propose again?

1iLWz4o.png

Adding the solo-mining to the Qt to make it easy

It's already in there - this is just easy access

LIKE SKIRTS :p

Accessibility is key.
Accessibility is an exchange away. And if the motions of the winds have anything to do with, soon it will be a decentralized exchange away. Buy your coins, anonymize... poof. You guys need to state what miners bring to the coin when the same task can easily be completed in a potentially more secure way. Why are you not explaining why we need miners? Other than upsetting miners. If the miners are upset, and we no longer need them it seems like a nice and balanced situation.

What did he propose again?

Already hidden inside out QT wallets is an old remnant from the early days of Bitcoin and Litecoin (given that Darkcoin is a fork from Litecoin).

With the simple console command "setgenerate true n" a wallet can solo CPU mine at a rate set by the value n.

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-update-oct-1-2014.2561/page-9#post-23533

Fast CPUs will contribute a little. Slow CPUs even less...but multiply that by thousands.

MangledBlue has even generated some blocks doing it and it even pays masternodes!

To be clear...it is very unlikely to earn you any coins. You'd have to be real lucky. It just seems like madness not to give walllet users the option.

Already hidden inside out QT wallets is an old remnant from the early days of Bitcoin and Litecoin (given that Darkcoin is a fork from Litecoin).

With the simple console command "setgenerate true n" a wallet can solo CPU mine at a rate set by the value n.

https://darkcointalk.org/threads/development-update-oct-1-2014.2561/page-9#post-23533

Fast CPUs will contribute a little. Slow CPUs even less...but multiply that by thousands.

MangledBlue has even generated some blocks doing it and it even pays masternodes!

LOL - It totally pays MN's

Because that block was paid on 12th July.

No, any CPU can do it.

The focus should not be on earning coins. CPU mining does very occasionally pay (I believe that it took two weeks for that payment to happen) but the focus shouldn't be on making money but sparing a little CPU time for network health if you want to. If you get a few coins once or twice a year then thats great!

How come the date is July 12? And how do you do this? Does your computer have to have 64-bit?

Go into the console and input:

for all cores
setgenerate true -1
for less cores
setgenerate true 1 (or whatever)

edit: then you can input: getmininginfo
for mining info :-D

Back