• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

dashman - linux masternode mangement made mootastic

Thanks for your help. I did not think it was possible that dashman could have anything to do with it, either. I was just covering all my bases, as I thought dashman was the only variable that had changed from my previous setup (which was unaffected).

After looking into it more, I discovered that there is one more variable that is different from my previous setup. It seems the VPS I recently setup with dashman were also on a different server location than my earlier nodes. I've contacted VPS support to see if they can figure out what may have happened with that server. Auto-start script was active too, so a short downtime would not have kicked them out of the queue. 70+minutes downtime seems pretty unreasonable for a VPS.

EDIT

VPS provider got back to me. Apparently a new SSD was installed on the server with my MNs on it and the downtime did exceed one hour, so I guess you get what you pay for with cheaper VPS services! One missed payment when your MN is right about to get paid could easily make it worth a MN operator's while to pay for a higher quality service with no downtime.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the auto-update prompt, BTW.
Code:
dashman version 0.1.13 - Fri Nov 13 20:34:41 EST 2015
gathering info, please wait...

dashman requires updating. Latest version is: 0.1.14
Do 'dashman sync' manually, or choose yes below.

sync dashman to github now?  [y/N] y

so it turns out it's a distro thing. Debian I think. They distribute netcat as two different packages.

netcat - TCP/IP swiss army knife -- transitional package <-- "nc" only supports ipv4, doesn't have a -4 switch
netcat-traditional - TCP/IP swiss army knife
netcat6 - TCP/IP swiss army knife with IPv6 support <-- "nc6" only supports ipv6 (I think, he's installing it now for me to find out)

yay, platforms!

I'm trying dashman on fedora20 and although installing nc fixed the missing netcat error I had initially, i now get a missing netcat6 message.

installing nc6 supposedly should do the trick, but it doesn't. Any ideas, or should I just burn this old fedora and try debian?

I recommend using a different linux distribution for now.
There are too many little differences to patch out.

The pure-python version I'm working on will not have most of these dependencies.

I recommend using a different linux distribution for now.
There are too many little differences to patch out.

The pure-python version I'm working on will not have most of these dependencies.
Thanks a lot for checking it out, Moo. I'll try out the latest debian and let you know how it goes. Happy new year to you, too!

Got multi-MN (randomized!) voting working perfectly on a debian distro.

I know you're busy on the soda machine now, but maybe you can help me with one more thing when you have a free moment.

How do I tell "dashman status" to use the masternode.conf, like vote does?

Got multi-MN (randomized!) voting working perfectly on a debian distro.

I know you're busy on the soda machine now, but maybe you can help me with one more thing when you have a free moment.

How do I tell "dashman status" to use the masternode.conf, like vote does?

dashman status only works on a local instance in version 0.1.
version 0.2 will be complete in a few months and will be able to give you remote statuses.
(you'll run an instance of dashman on each masternode and you'll be able to query them remotely)

Ah, I see. I knew something awesome was in the works! Looking forward to it.

For now, I guess I just wanted something quick and easy to check if multiple MN are online or not.

I remember you or udjinM6 or someone else once posted how to do this just by using the masternodelist command and some special characters to separate the IP addresses and filter results to show just the MN you want to check the basic status of, but I can't find it anymore.

It works like a charm!

Thanks for putting that together.

It's really impressive to see how fast you work. I'm glad you're on our side. :D

Hey Guys

This looks great but I've run into some issues. I tried to find the problem myself but I'm not making progress. If I run dashman vote I get 1 red output saying "cannot". That's it.

I'm on Arch Linux and I know it uses python3 by default (breaking a few programs still on python2). I tried changing it to python2 manually, but that didn't work. I actually don't even think this is a python issue, the error seems to happen in the bash-startup script. I did check, I do have bash version 4

DashMan Screenshot at 2016-01-14 23:13:50.png

Any idea's where I could go dig next?

nightowl -- pushed a temporary patch onto the arch branch.

git remote update ; git checkout arch ; ./dashman status

The issues were a) not recognizing your package manager and b) gnu netcat has different switches.

I've got a pure python implementation in the works, but this branch should work for you for the time being.

Let me know if you run into any other trouble, I'll be happy to push quick fixes.

Wow! Kudos to you for figuring it out that quickly! (I did a git diff master arch to see what you did).

I sent a donation as a small token of my appreciation (it's small in dollars but quite an amount in my local currency... sorry will send more soon!).

I can report that ./dashman version and ./dashman status is working 100% fine. Thank you for that!

I just have to check my config again because ./dashman vote just says "exiting", but I suspect it has something to do with my local masternode.conf file.

you're welcome -- vagrant makes it easy. And thanks!

---

nope, not your masternode.conf -- needed another compatibility patch.

python3 compat is turning out to be a pain. python2 is a dependency for now.

git pull the arch branch -- should work now!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey moo, I'm trying to use dashman vote and it keeps telling me I need to sync even though I'm on the latest version. Selecting No will not allow me to run dashman vote.

Code:
user@host:~/dashman$ ./dashman vote
dashman version 0.1.16 - Mon Feb  1 23:29:33 UTC 2016

dashman requires updating. Latest version is:

dashman version 0.1.16 - Mon Feb  1 23:29:48 UTC 2016
Fetching origin
No local changes to save
Already on 'master'
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
HEAD is now at 8308b15 version bump
--------------

--------------
dashman version 0.1.16 - Mon Feb  1 23:29:54 UTC 2016

dashman version 0.1.16 - Mon Feb  1 23:30:03 UTC 2016
Fetching origin
No local changes to save
Already on 'master'
--------------

--------------
dashman version 0.1.16 - Mon Feb  1 23:30:26 UTC 2016

dashman version 0.1.16 - Mon Feb  1 23:31:01 UTC 2016
Fetching origin
No local changes to save
Already on 'master'
--------------

--------------
dashman version 0.1.16 - Mon Feb  1 23:31:09 UTC 2016

sync dashman to github now?  [y/N]

Strange. It's working now. I wonder why it did that? Maybe it was my internet connection or something. In any case, you might want to consider a modification to allow users to select "No" and run the program with their current version (which in my case was up to date anyway).

it couldn't get the version from github.
notice how it said "latest version is :"
but had no version?

I'll push a patch for a better error message later tonight. I agree that's confusing.

in this instance, it's good it didn't let you continue. if you can't contact github, you can't vote anyways. (99.9% of the time)

glad it's working for you now!

Back