• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash & Segwit

What's it to you? You sold all your Dash, so why do you care?
Why are you even still here?

Do you continue posting on a Chrysler forum, too after selling your Dodge?

I'm thinking of whether it would make sense for Dash to incorporate Segwit. The argument pro Segwit is the enabling of lightning network(s) (LN) which I see as huge boost for whomever is able to support it. Dash with its new found size and liquidity would be a very good candidate for an LN base layer. The argument against Segwit would be that Dash tries to have its own scaling approach and Segwit could take transactions away from that approach. I do not expect that. On the opposite, Segwit will add a huge amount of transactions to any network because it could find millions of users and every user regularly needs an opening and a closing transaction with the underlying network. For Dash it could just be an additional way to scale up and finally overtake Bitcoin!

What I'm not sure of is the fact of whether Dash's Instant Payment is already a solution for transaction malleability and therefore Segwit would not be necessary here. I would be happy if a Dash developer could chime in on that.

If I understand the technology correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Dash Evolution and masternode network will provide a functionality that is on par with Segwit and Lightning Network.

If I understand the technology correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong), Dash Evolution and masternode network will provide a functionality that is on par with Segwit and Lightning Network.
I don't think that any sort of on-chain scaling could be on par with LN. The different mechanisms behind LN can support orders of magnitudes more transactions for a much lower price. And you can have many independent LN like networks. Some of them might provide functionality not contained in Dash Evolution. That is why I think Dash should not be afraid to support LN.

LN also must at some point settle the final transactions on the blockchain. It may be more decentralized than masternode system, but it's still an untested technology.
If it proves itself, then we can talk about implementing it in Dash. Though I think it may be more difficult, as it's going to be something like a third tier network on Dash.

Back