• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash core wallet private key and encryption - how to safe

RedIceFlower

Hi everyone,
maybe you can help me: I thought crypto works this way: If you create a wallet, then you can create a seed (as example many letters or 12+ words). Based on this data the private key will be generated.
Now I downloaded the dash core wallet. Just in the beginning I had a “default” wallet with a public key to receive funds. In next step I decided to encrypt it. I entered some letters. But I think the private key did not change at all :/.
So I wonder: Is is correct that my private key is generated throught that encryption or did the wallet just create one private key in the beginning that was encrypted later?
(and if it is really a random private key, how can I safe it not to loose all my funds, in case my computer crashes? - i have linux running)

Your Dash addresses inside the wallet will not change after you encrypt the wallet. When you choose to encrypt, you are password-protecting the wallet.dat file on the computer so it can't be accessed by others.

By default, the Dash Core Wallet does not use and HD seed.

If you want to use a 12+ word backup phrase, you can switch the Dash Core Wallet to HD mode. See these instructions for how to do it:
Use HD Mode
After that, all new addresses (public/private keypairs) will be derived from your 12+word mnemonic phrase.

Once you are in HD mode, you can restore all addresses/money in your wallet if you have the recovery mnemonic phrase.
In default mode (encryption of the wallet.dat only) you should be careful not to lose your password or the wallet.dat file (wallet automatically creates backup of it, but you should store the backup on an external drive, too).

So I wonder: Is is correct that my private key is generated throught that encryption or did the wallet just create one private key in the beginning that was encrypted later?
Any receiving addresses you generate while using the wallet (and each address' corresponding private key) are all independent of the "wallet passphrase." Again, the wallet passphrase only protects the wallet.dat file on the computer, so you need to enter it in order when sending funds. It is not used in address (public/private key) generation at all. Bitcoin Core works like this too.

Back