• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Clearing transactions list from wallet?

Ch0nG

Is there a way to clear the transaction list in wallet-qt?

As an example:
I have a couple public wallets that I use to receive coins (from mining, buying off exchanges etc.), I like to Darksend them to various paper wallets. This lets me keep my coins both anonymous and relatively safe.

However, if someone gains access to my wallet-qt then they can easily identify all of my cold wallets and link the balances to me. It would be nice to be able to clear the list for privacy and deniability reasons.

Is there a way to clear the transaction list in wallet-qt?

As an example:
I have a couple public wallets that I use to receive coins (from mining, buying off exchanges etc.), I like to Darksend them to various paper wallets. This lets me keep my coins both anonymous and relatively safe.

However, if someone gains access to my wallet-qt then they can easily identify all of my cold wallets and link the balances to me. It would be nice to be able to clear the list for privacy and deniability reasons.
I don't think you can clear the transactions from the wallet or blockchain. The only way i can think of is if you anonymize your coins (best with 8 rounds), then send your coins to another address in a new wallet, then delete the old wallet. The blockchain will show your new address with the coins, but does not show the address of your old wallet. You can see this by testing it out on Testnet.

I don't think you can clear the transactions from the wallet or blockchain. The only way i can think of is if you anonymize your coins (best with 8 rounds), then send your coins to another address in a new wallet, then delete the old wallet. The blockchain will show your new address with the coins, but does not show the address of your old wallet. You can see this by testing it out on Testnet.

OK. That makes sense that you can't clear it from the blockchain. I'm not super concerned about it, after all I've probably got bigger problems if someone gets access to my PC. I was more curious as to if there was anything going on regarding deleting the history locally given the private-emphasis behind Darkcoin. I guess if I was really concerned about it I could do this:

- Generate a new receiving address offline with paper.darkcoin.io for every incoming transaction.
- Anonymize the coins (for 8 rounds).
- Forward the anonymized coins to another offline-generated paper wallet.
- Delete the wallet that initially received the coins.

It's always puzzled me why there isn't an option to password-protect your wallet.dat file, so that any passing vagabond can't fire up your wallet and freely view your balance and transaction history. Password or pin number or something required on startup. For a privacy-centric coin, this seems like a big omission.

Been meaning to add that feature to my simple python wallet for a while, never quite get around to it though. :(

In the meantime I keep all my wallet.dat files encrypted when not in use.

Back