• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Can I recover my wallet using transaction address alone?

Bdy

Hello Dash community,

Here is the background story of my embarrassing situation.
I bought some dash back in early 2017.
I had all the dash in one wallet (Windows laptop) and I transferred over to another wallet (Macbook laptop).
Then I backed up the wallet into a thumb drive and didn't touch it until now.
Since then, I changed my macbook to a newer macbook and gave the old macbook to my wife.
I thought I backed up the dash so I naturally just deleted all my information in the drive and setup the macbook for my wife.

Looking back, I feel very stupid for not double checking or at least transferring the dash directly from my old macbook to the new one like I did with my old windows laptop.

When I tried to restore the dash by using the backed up wallet. I only see windows laptop dash backup which shows the transfer of dash to my old macbook with 0 balance.
I still see the balance in the old macbook wallet when I checked with the dash electrum, but I don't think I can recover the dash with my current capacity. I don't know the 12 word phrases either since I wasn't really ware of it... Now I think coinbase may be safer for a dummy like me.

Is there any way for me to get access to my dash again?

Hello Dash community,

Here is the background story of my embarrassing situation.
I bought some dash back in early 2017.
I had all the dash in one wallet (Windows laptop) and I transferred over to another wallet (Macbook laptop).
Then I backed up the wallet into a thumb drive and didn't touch it until now.
Since then, I changed my macbook to a newer macbook and gave the old macbook to my wife.
I thought I backed up the dash so I naturally just deleted all my information in the drive and setup the macbook for my wife.

Looking back, I feel very stupid for not double checking or at least transferring the dash directly from my old macbook to the new one like I did with my old windows laptop.

When I tried to restore the dash by using the backed up wallet. I only see windows laptop dash backup which shows the transfer of dash to my old macbook with 0 balance.
I still see the balance in the old macbook wallet when I checked with the dash electrum, but I don't think I can recover the dash with my current capacity. I don't know the 12 word phrases either since I wasn't really ware of it... Now I think coinbase may be safer for a dummy like me.

Is there any way for me to get access to my dash again?

If you don't have the wallet.dat or a seed phrase, I am afraid that Dash is gone, you cannot reverse a transaction.

Last edited:
Typically when you delete files the operating system just marks the disk area as empty so there could be a small chance that it could be recovered with specialized software. But if the laptop has been in active use then it is probably more likely that the disk area has been overwritten by new files.

I'm not a mac user but I did a google search and found this software: https://www.cleverfiles.com/. It is only free for scanning deleted files but actual recovery seems to require the paid version. Maybe it is worth giving it a shot especially if it was a large amount. There is probably some completely free alternatives but you need to decide for yourself if they are good for the task.

Guys if you don't have your wallet backup (your private keys) or seed / recovery phrases there's no much to talk.
You can always try recovery disc tools but this is doable after you act instantly not after you use it (disk) for years.

I recommend the open source tool PhotoRec for this sort of data recovery. Don't be fooled by the name, it can read all common file systems and recover all file types. Good luck!

Back