• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

A vision of what Evolution could be, in real life examples

nightowl

It's an nice overcast Sunday morning, 17 April 2019. The perfect day for just lazing around at home.

I stumble out of bed, fire up my Steambox and plop onto the sofa. Mmmm, I wonder if they have any good sales this weekend? I open up their interface and hey... it must be my lucky day because GTA 9 is on special today! 80% discount! I immediately click "Buy". Good thing Evan Duffield moved all the complex calculations to masternodes, because 3 years ago it was a no-brainer for Steam to add the lightweight Dash client to their interface. It took them a whole of 3 hours, and most of the time was wasted fighting over the color of the button.

Steam simply knows me by my alias "gamerguy48983". I click "buy" and "authorise" and the download starts. Just like that. No QR codes, no leaving the interface, just 1, 2, 3.

"I better buy some food before I loose 10 hours of my life" I think. I open my phone, click the Dash Evolution wallet (which looks a lot like whatsapp) and scroll to my "Delivery Group". I click on "Harry's Pizza" and say "1 Hawaiian pizza please, extra pineapple please". They simply know my by the alias "Appartment24-BuildingB-West-and-7th". A moment later the message come back. That will be 0.0001 Dash Sir. I authorisze the payment and I'm done in less than 15 seconds.

The next week goes by in a haze. Too much late night gaming and too many things to do. My mother needed some money (she knows me on the Evolution network under my real name), I had dinner with friends and paid my half in Dash to them, I bought a new GPS app from that new Appstore with Dash integration. I traded a lot. Gambled a bit. At the end of the month I realise, I completely lost track of where my finances went and I played waay too much GTA 9.

Lucky for me, I can open up my Dash wallet on my computer, see my full transaction history, all my "Steam wallet" purchases, all my "phone wallet" purchases, all the times I put money into an exchange, it's just all there. Gone are the days when you had to open every single Bitcoin wallet and have to log in to every exchange just to make sense of where my money went (This today is a real problem for me and I almost "lost/forgot" about 0.5 Bitcoin last month)

==============================

I could be wrong in my vision for Evolution, but from what I understand so far, this is a very real direction we could be going in.

I like the "whatsApp of money" idea :cool:

Also: I also like the idea of being able to have several aliases on a same wallet. I don't think it's already available as a Evolution feature, but would be a convenient upgrade, improving privacy.

btw, my aliases, up to now, are raganius and DASHpag, amongst other ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I'd love to take credit for the alias idea, this is already in the DashPay Decentralised Wallet document. It's a great read I can highly recommend that you read it from start to finish if you haven't already done so. https://www.dash.org/binaries/evo/DashPayDecentralizedWallet-v1.pdf

Page 9
The only interaction you have with the system will be to store your profile data (which can be an alias and in privacy mode)

Page 13
When you receive a payment, the address will be looked up in our global database and alias information will be found and displayed.

Page 14
Profile information for your account is not independently verified so you can use an alias to remain anonymous if you wish.

Evan really did design a very cool system here.

INSTANT X can be useful at game item exchange market . Here east asia lots of online games
Korea, Japan, China(huge!).... and online game item traders want instant transaction.
It is already huge and will be expanding really fast. We need decentralized item exchange platform and good PR/marketing/

Although I'd love to take credit for the alias idea, this is already in the DashPay Decentralised Wallet document. It's a great read I can highly recommend that you read it from start to finish if you haven't already done so. https://www.dash.org/binaries/evo/DashPayDecentralizedWallet-v1.pdf

Page 9
The only interaction you have with the system will be to store your profile data (which can be an alias and in privacy mode)

Page 13
When you receive a payment, the address will be looked up in our global database and alias information will be found and displayed.

Page 14
Profile information for your account is not independently verified so you can use an alias to remain anonymous if you wish.

Evan really did design a very cool system here.

Sure, but, what I mean is having more than one alias attached to a single wallet, just like your vision of it: I've been toying with the new evoution prototype, and I did register my aliases (raganius, DASHpag, etc) but they link to different wallet instances (in different machines), instead of to the same wallet (I am saying something like the same wallet allows users to include new aliases on the go, whenever they need a "new identity", without having to "register" a new e-mail address and so on) :wink:

raganius

Oh I see... I had no idea these are all separate wallet instances (unless I misunderstand your comment about "seperate machines"). I've been battling to get it compile (I'm on linux, no binary packages) and I had no idea the demo wallet was that advanced. I'm have a better grasp of the system. Thank you!

I presume you mean each alias is like a separate wallet in electrum (for example, if you rightclick the statusbar icon for electrum-btc, it will show you a list of all your bitcoin wallets). Even then, if all aliases are converted into full "subwallets" by the underlying system, I think that would be great too. I see that extra wallet instance as a group. I'd put all my take-away "friends" in my "Appartment24-BuildingB-West-and-7th" alias/wallet. I'd then always pay take-aways from this wallet.

The fact that it's a full wallet is even better than the way I presented it above, because now it would be super easy to budget each month. Instead of trying to keep to a budget, I can simply transfer the monthly allowance into that "alias" (which is a wallet too). Since it's a full wallet it will perfectly track the remaining balance in that "alias". That could be one great solution too!

But which every way Evan implements it from his spec, it's all good because I have a sneaky suspicion this "add friends" feature of Evolution is going to drive adoption quite a bit! :smile:

raganius

Oh I see... I had no idea these are all separate wallet instances (unless I misunderstand your comment about "seperate machines"). I've been battling to get it compile (I'm on linux, no binary packages) and I had no idea the demo wallet was that advanced. I'm have a better grasp of the system. Thank you!

I presume you mean each alias is like a separate wallet in electrum

Yes, that's how it's working here for me.

raganius(for example, if you rightclick the statusbar icon for electrum-btc, it will show you a list of all your bitcoin wallets).

That would be cool. I'll try and see if it works here this way :smile:

raganiusEven then, if all aliases are converted into full "subwallets" by the underlying system, I think that would be great too. I see that extra wallet instance as a group. I'd put all my take-away "friends" in my "Appartment24-BuildingB-West-and-7th" alias/wallet. I'd then always pay take-aways from this wallet.

The fact that it's a full wallet is even better than the way I presented it above, because now it would be super easy to budget each month. Instead of trying to keep to a budget, I can simply transfer the monthly allowance into that "alias" (which is a wallet too). Since it's a full wallet it will perfectly track the remaining balance in that "alias". That could be one great solution too!

But which every way Evan implements it from his spec, it's all good because I have a sneaky suspicion this "add friends" feature of Evolution is going to drive adoption quite a bit! :smile:

Sure! That'll be perfect! I'm really loving it!

I'd love for the Dash wallet to have an integrated map, you can see nearby users and of course all the users in the world on this map. You can send a message to a user/alias and either trade with them in person or over the internet. Afterwards you rate them and give them feedback.

I'd love for the Dash wallet to have an integrated map, you can see nearby users and of course all the users in the world on this map. You can send a message to a user/alias and either trade with them in person or over the internet. Afterwards you rate them and give them feedback.

That would also be very cool, especially for merchants and P2P traders!

INSTANT X can be useful at game item exchange market . Here east asia lots of online games
Korea, Japan, China(huge!).... and online game item traders want instant transaction.
It is already huge and will be expanding really fast. We need decentralized item exchange platform and good PR/marketing/

Imagine a opensource p2p cam crypto platform for the cam industry. Whoever makes this will be rich from advertisements lol.

Not to mention you could help the people behind the camera out by not taking 30-50% of thier earnings like most places do...

For me, I think the alias thing is too short-sighted. It's doing what we all have to do.. come up with a unique name that isn't taken.

How it should be at the protocol level

1. The unique username should be handed off to someone elses distributed DNS (I'd like to say namecoin but I don't think it's up for the job). This way, the whole dash transport system becomes attractive to everyone, from bitcoin to visa.

2. Once the above domain is registered on the dash network, a small key-value scratch pad becomes available, say 100 pairs. From this point on, the apps and wallets take complete control of that scratch pad. If they want duplicate usernames or not, or if they want digits only (phone numbers?), that's entirely up to them.

3. The size and lifespan of the key-value scratch pad can be expanded at a cost.

By doing this, businesses / mobile carriers / social netowrks etc could put all their customers on the dash network without any name conflicts.

The storage requirements could probably be mitigated by shifting some of the load on to ipfs (InterPlanetary File System)

Imagine a opensource p2p cam crypto platform for the cam industry. Whoever makes this will be rich from advertisements lol.

Not to mention you could help the people behind the camera out by not taking 30-50% of thier earnings like most places do...

Streamium is currently working https://streamium.io/ but it has scaling problem.
Through INSTANT X & EVOLUTION, DASH can make it much better (I guess)

This is from online real time broadcasting site www.afreeca.com/
She got 43,225$ as a tip from a fan here in South korea.
Amount of money is noting compare to China corresponding one which has almost all same system.
Compay take 30~40% fee from tip.
Can DASH develop similar one? Or at least try to embed DASH payment solution to these companies? I think it will be huge project but worth consider it.

I think Cryptocurrency should focus on online real time broadcasting companies and online game companies rather than brick&motor shops.

I believe that's were Evolution is going... The DAPI will make it very easy for DASH to be integrated into Games, Web Apps, IoT... etc.

DASH will explode in the next 2 years as the team makes it very easy for everybody to use.

Back