• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

A proposal now costs over $3,000

thesavoyard

Is it time to do something? Even bigger projects would be reluctant at that price. I expect it will cost over $5,000 by January.

I have to agree we do need to look at lowering the fee to maybe 1k just to keep out crazy proposals

There are currently 39 proposals up for voting this month, which is continuing the general trend towards more and more proposals per month in spite of the increasing fee. I don't think we should accelerate this

If approved, the proposal can be reimbursed....this can effectively prevent excessive fraud suggestions..

It does have the benefit of keeping out spam and petty proposals, but if someone fronts the money and the Masternodes vote no, they are out a lot of money now. I don't think that's the way Dash wants to treat its fans, personally. Maybe keep the proposal cost fairly high like 2.5 Dash and refund 50% of failed proposals? That way there is still a risk for bad or scam proposals.

It does have the benefit of keeping out spam and petty proposals, but if someone fronts the money and the Masternodes vote no, they are out a lot of money now. I don't think that's the way Dash wants to treat its fans, personally. Maybe keep the proposal cost fairly high like 2.5 Dash and refund 50% of failed proposals? That way there is still a risk for bad or scam proposals.
No refund if your proposal fails. Between here and discord thier is enough ways to build support before diving in and making a proposal.
You may end up being told make it for less and shorter time then you want but that is how it is. I mean you should just come up with an idea and then make a proposal.

Its not fair to count recurring proposals. Having actually submitted two proposals (technically 3), it is not just monetary loss but loss in time as well if your proposal doesn't pass. I would argue that anything over 1 dash does more harm then good at this point. Proposals use to be $50 and there was no spam problem, why would that change? Soon it may not be bad proposals that don't pass but rather better proposals and a lack of available funds that month.

Its not fair to count recurring proposals. Having actually submitted two proposals (technically 3), it is not just monetary loss but loss in time as well if your proposal doesn't pass. I would argue that anything over 1 dash does more harm then good at this point. Proposals use to be $50 and there was no spam problem, why would that change? Soon it may not be bad proposals that don't pass but rather better proposals and a lack of available funds that month.

The reason it would change is because the network is growing. There is much greater interest and a lot more money to be sought after.

The trend towards more proposals is still there even if you only count new proposals in their first month.

I think asking someone to risk $3000-$5000 for a proposal is too much. It's punishing the community. We will also miss out on great ideas because people do not want to risk such a large sum of money. I don't get a vote on it but I would support 1 Dash. Also, why not a partial refund? If you maintain some loss you will still deter spam. Do you think someone with bad ideas and good faith deserves to be punished?

Half price proposals, one per cycle, for each masternode. This would create competition for proposal submissions, while keeping spam away.

One thing that might work is to refund the fee if the net votes are positive and burn the fee if the net votes are negative. This way the masternodes get to decide on a case by case basis.

Other than that I am not opposed to lowering the fee a bit but I wouldn't consider it an urgent issue so far.

I'm a new MNO and I've been disappointed by how hard it is to decide what to vote on each proposal. I think this mostly comes from the low quality of the proposals. By this I don't mean the projects, but the pitch/presentation. I think every proposal should at least include a professional video clearly presenting the proposal and the people, like a KickStarter project. MNO shouldn't have to do hours of work to vet a proposal if the proposer can't even be bothered to make a high quality proposal.
I think the fact that people are willing to risk 5 Dash without even making a high quality proposal presentation shows that the fee is too low rather than too high.

I think asking someone to risk $3000-$5000 for a proposal is too much. It's punishing the community. We will also miss out on great ideas because people do not want to risk such a large sum of money. I don't get a vote on it but I would support 1 Dash. Also, why not a partial refund? If you maintain some loss you will still deter spam. Do you think someone with bad ideas and good faith deserves to be punished?

One thing that might work is to refund the fee if the net votes are positive and burn the fee if the net votes are negative. This way the masternodes get to decide on a case by case basis.

I agree that refunding the fee for net positive votes would alleviate this issue while maintaining the effectiveness of the spam prevention and deterrent to bad proposals. If it was done automatically then it would mean proposal owners would not even need to keep tacking on the fee to their requested amount as well.

I am a founder of Bitmzansi a cryto-startup based in South Africa, we are interested in producing a proposal within the Dash community in the hopes of creating something of substances that can benefit our country and Africa as a whole, we believe that this can only be achieved with the assistance of the Dash community.
We currently believe that the required 5 Dash is excluding potential startups that have excellent ideas from taking part, especially for indidivuals who are in poorer regions across the globe and given that the price of Dash was $9 a year ago, all that was required to pitch an proposal was around $50 compared to today $3000 needed to pitch a proposal.
We humbly request that the community takes these two factors into consideration and reviews the 5 Dash that is required for proposals submissions.

If you make a high quality pre-proposal with an engaging and convincing video explaining your project and a detailed budget and plan, I think there are ways to help with the proposal fee.

If you make a high quality pre-proposal with an engaging and convincing video explaining your project and a detailed budget and plan, I think there are ways to help with the proposal fee.
Thank you for the feedback, we are more than willing to produce a well written and detailed pre-proposal as well as the video explaining our mission statement and goals.

I agree that refunding the fee for net positive votes would alleviate this issue while maintaining the effectiveness of the spam prevention and deterrent to bad proposals. If it was done automatically then it would mean proposal owners would not even need to keep tacking on the fee to their requested amount as well.

I like this solution as well. I do think scam proposals should have negative consequences. As well as those who put little effort into their proposal. I still think the Dash core team needs a discretionary budget to fund proposals that they feel are worthwhile. Along with maybe someone to work on treasury issues full time?

I still think the Dash core team needs a discretionary budget to fund proposals that they feel are worthwhile.

I would be fine with this, but does the core team have time to go through lots of low quality proposals to find a few that might be worthwhile?
If someone is willing to sift through lots of proposals, I'd be happy to approve a 15 Dash proposal to fund the fee of the best 3, or something like that.

When the fee was low there was a much lower amount of money available.
I have three possible suggestions:

1) masternode vote which proposals do not get back their fee. So the votes become (Yes, Abstain, No, No and do not get back the fee)
the last one only used for spammy proposals. And from then on we stop people adding the proposal fee to the cost of the proposal
2) the fee must be proportional to the money you are asking. If you ask n dash, then the fee will be n/k (and we need to decide what would have to be k, but we can just pick the average of the last period)
3) people use the fee they want, but proposals are ordered by fee spent.

Back