• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

12.1 Development Update

eduffield

Core Developer
Hello Everyone!

Internally among the core-team (our core DAO which maintains the software, promotes Dash and executes its day-to-day activities), there’s been a building sense of excitement about the near future, d10e and beyond. Things are going great and we’re building momentum internally, toward our goal of achieving an Evolution compatible financial network to spread Dash usage around the world. However, it seems this excitement is limited to our team and information has not extensively propagated to the community about the ongoing work. While some elements - such as developing business partnerships - are difficult to share, we want to engage the community more effectively on the elements of progress that we can share.

We feel it would be best to develop deeper knowledge of the progress we’ve made within the Dash community before launching through a finely tuned campaign of public education. We will eventually reach the public at large through public appearances, promotional materials (videos, demos, etc), and media exposure. We might as well use the upcoming events at d10e (July 21 in CA) and our meetup event (late August in GA) to build this sense of understanding among the community about our recent advancements. At d10e, we will have three separate presentations; one on how we are solving decentralized banking; one on our decentralized governance improvements; and one (from Node40) on decentralized infrastructure. This will be a great introduction for the unacquainted and a much more complete information source for getting up-to-date about our project. Beyond that, we will use the meetup in GA to show off our second version of the Evolution prototype, made by our very own Evolution team. Between all four presentations, we should have a very strong series of educational presentations for the community.

What is in 12.1 and beyond?

In this release we have reinvented the Dash network. Understand that 12.1 development is basically the foundational component of Dash Evolution. We are presently building out this foundation in Dash-Core and Dash-Evolution completely separately to accelerate the process. These pieces will be connected together in a later release for the full realization of Evolution.

The most significant change included is a completely different underlying engine, which can be used to build various pieces of software. This new system will be known as the governance system. The first usage of this governance system is to clone the existing functionality from 12.0, from the basic budget system, except written purely using the governance system. So while you may not notice any immediate changes to the core functionality and capabilities, the important distinction is the way that functionality is implemented.

After we present the system at d10e, we will include an invitation to the larger community to help us test. 12.1 will provide some revolutionary new features that we have kept from public view. Using these features, we plan to entice people to come help us test them on testnet. It should be fun and help us build a sense of excitement about the upcoming release.

Immediately after we launch 12.1, we plan on executing our next phase of the project. This will include a major core-team restructuring, revised compensation arrangements, paid-contractors for expediting Dash Evolution workload and a highly improved budget system implemented using the 12.1 engine.

I'm confused, Evan's announcement mentions an invitation to test v12.1 on Testnet after the d10e meeting; but testing has been ongoing for several months now?

Will there be a new release with these revolutionary new features after d10e or were they already included in that pre-test ?

Pablo.

Note: Edited from @qwizzie question.

Last edited:
Hell yeah - thanks Evan.

I like more regular smaller updates rather than long breaks - I think it drives the community a little bit crazy at times waiting for info!

Look forward to seeing 12.1 and helping with testing.

I have the same question: is there another version of 12.1 that hasnt been released yet?

Please exercise any changes with a preference toward security and stability !
Everything else will follow accordingly.
Best
rc

one (from Node40) on decentralized infrastructure
That's ironic...
we should have a very strong series of educational presentations for the community.
Gracious, presentations, you say?
12.1 will provide some revolutionary new features that we have kept from public view.
[Frasier Krane] I'm listening... [/Frasier Krane]
the meetup in GA
o_O @oaxaca
build a sense of excitement
Please don't mistake my snarkiness, but us grown-ups are a little worn out on the crypto hype and drama. We don't want excitement, we want tangible, usable internet devil money. I mean, you know, the dream Satoshi had actually coming true with a useable crypto... It's been 8 years. the world looks on as we get the children pumped up again?

Crypto has cried wolf and claimed itself great way too many times. Action time was a year ago. Action. Do.

This is not meant to be hypercritical. I'm just baffled by the vacuum that should have held a sense of urgency for the past year... Maybe it's simply not being broadcast...

Last edited:
Can anyone here explain how the update works from a user perspective? i.e. how do i update to 12.1 without stuffing something up and losing my dash. Do i need to re-import private keys etc to new client, or just download the new client and it all works in the background?

I don't see a 12.1 available yet, so these inquiries seem premature.

As always, common sense. Make a backup. Store it on a different machine or some kind of external media.

I don't see a 12.1 available yet, so these inquiries seem premature.

As always, common sense. Make a backup. Store it on a different machine or some kind of external media.
mmm, that didn't really answer my question. Yes, im aware 12.1 isnt out yet, and yes i have made back ups.

Anyone else know? Is it just as simple as downloading new client, or is there more involved i.e. re-importing priv keys?

mmm, that didn't really answer my question. Yes, im aware 12.1 isnt out yet, and yes i have made back ups.

Anyone else know? Is it just as simple as downloading new client, or is there more involved i.e. re-importing priv keys?
i think it will simply be the case of downloading the new client and replacing the older client, at least for desktop wallets.
For masternodes it most likely also require a restart from cold wallet but i'm sure that will all be mentioned in the announcement.

GITHUB https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/915

UdjinM6 commented 3 days ago
Changes: Avoid recalculating hashes for block indexes every time wallet starts, store them on disk and reuse.

Reason: X11 is slow :)

Results (time to load indexes on wallet start, mainnet):

• Before: ~65 seconds
  • After: ~5 seconds
Notes:
1. There is no security issues with this imo because block indexes are calculated locally.
2. This will invalidate /blocks/index/ and you'll have to reindex (which is the case for 0.12.0->0.12.1 migration anyway) so save you datadir somewhere before testing (reindexing on mainnet takes 1h+).

Back