• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Search results

1. Andric Tham

Jump start dash adoption by acquiring 400k users in 4 months

If privacy is a concern, then the technical constraint here is not that the phone number is stored somewhere (centralized or decentralized), but that wallet addresses can be linked to phone numbers. In that case, is there a way to verify that a phone number belongs to someone without ever...
  2. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

Yes. This is an oft-cited paper about information processing of numbers: The Magical Number Seven, Plus or Minus Two: Some Limits on Our Capacity for Processing Information by George A. Miller Additionally, these two books (in the context of education and games) further expand on Miller’s...
  3. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

I don’t think the discussion here is about increasing the supply of the cryptoasset DASH. I agree that having a deflationary value with a high value per coin is the way to go when appearing to cryptonerds who invest in the space. It seems the approaches that we are all converging toward in...
  4. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

As others have suggested, a smaller denomination of DASH (Dots), with two decimal places to indicate the lowest denomination.
  5. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

Let me clarify my thoughts. Decoupling DASH as a cryptocurrency (which is backed by its corresponding cryptoasset) doesn’t have to result in meddling with DASH so to speak, as one could simply create two front-facing interfaces from a unified back-end, in web development parlance. At least...
  6. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

I think this was an issue that was already brought up in this thread. Nobody is suggesting that the cryptoasset DASH gets meddled with. We’ve all agreed it’s a bad idea for miners and traders. What we’re talking about is DASH the cryptocurrency (the one that is actually spent by consumers and...
  7. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

So dots would work like dollars and duffs like cents? I like it.
  8. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

Yes, as I was also saying, we might need to conduct ethnographic research as part of the proposal (should “common sense” not prevail), as that would require funding to be set aside for hiring user experience researchers (on a contract or volunteer basis) and as incentives for recruiting...
  9. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

That works perfectly. ;) Any idea how we can get this into a pre-proposal?
  10. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

Sounds good. Do you need to be a masternode operator to write a preproposal? I’m not super familiar with the process. I can help with finding a suitable symbol for Duffs, maybe the rest of us can suggest, and we can vote on it.
  11. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

People need analogs to what they already use. We can promote DASH as the ewallet service and payment gateway. DASH has a corresponding cryptoasset that investors and traders care about, just like Apple has AAPL. To regular humans, DASH is just like PayPal or their bank app, except DASH...
  12. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

Ah. Well there you go. That’s something that the DASH core team can start to do, to use Duff as the default currency, design everything around it, choose a suitable Unicode symbol, and start pushing it forward with merchant/consumer outreach. Make the transition as easy as possible for merchants...
  13. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

That may be what I’m asking, but does a “duff” currently have a corresponding Unicode symbol, and is it used as the default denomination in DASH wallets? Because if not, it’s an inferior currency interface compared to fiat currencies.
  14. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

The way I see it, decoupling DASH the cryptoasset from DASH the cryptocurrency is a crucial decision that will determine whether it is usable as digital cash in regular consumer-merchant transactions, or not. If DASH does not attempt to solve this problem, a fork or an alternative currency...
  15. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

Another alternative to solving this is building an entirely new currency as an application on top of DASH itself, whose value is calculated on-the-fly and used only for cash transactions. Like Ether’s concept of gas, it decouples its value from the value of the cryptoasset. This makes the...
  16. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

The way I see it, the community only needs to agree on what the smallest denomination of the currency is called (like Ether’s wei or Bitcoin’s satoshi), and make that the default interface on any merchant or consumer facing application. Give it a corresponding symbol ($, ¥, etc.) and make sure...
  17. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

Friend, I see that you're a Masternode Operator. Is there anything you can do to help further along some kind of R&D proposal to work this issue out?
  18. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

If you’re a speculator/investor/techie/cryptoanarchist, that is. I count myself among the techies, but even I don't want to be paying 0.0023567 DASH for a cup of coffee. Showing its fiat value to me is like adding insult to injury. That’s what the cryptomasochists want for us, no? At the end...
  19. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

Thank you for putting things rhetorically. Although I fear that in the lopsided, predominantly male computer geek composition of the crypto community, it will be largely dismissed. These biases run so deep, it’s almost darkly comical now considering Alan Turing and Grace Hopper (two decidedly...
  20. Andric Tham

Dash "stock split"

It depends which country you’re talking about. East Asian countries (think Korean Won and Japanese Yen) already deal with long strings of digits when it comes to prices. So people can adapt, but the question is why should they? Dealing with decimal places requires the user to pay a cognitive...
Back