• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

pre-proposal: tipmedash.com - a fast & fun way to tip online

Gass

Hi there 👋 I am submitting this pre-proposal because some people in the Dash community suggested that I do so.. So, here I go..

1.png

What is this about ?
It is an open source site (github repo) built for sending donations to other users only with Dash. Users can send public or private messages with each tip. It is similar to cointr.ee and buymeacoffe.com but better.

Dash in my eyes is a super currency and it has the potential to solve many current issues. My project showcases how Dash can solve the necessity of third parties, high fees and tedious permissions in online donation systems.

Dash is the gold standard in this regard and that is why I chose it to develop this app.

How could it benefit the Dash network ?
  • Strengthen the Dash community.
  • Explore other creators that use Dash in their daily lives.
  • Send messages with tips to get in contact with people of your interest that otherwise could be very hard to reach.
  • Spark netizens curiosity.
  • Expose netizens to a new option for sending tips online.
  • Educate crypto outsiders in a simple manner about Dash.
  • Showcase Dash advantages over other systems of money.
Who am I ?
My name is Gabriel I live in Budapest I enjoy doing outdoor stuff and coding, but I get paid to do the second one 😅. I'm currently working for a German company (itemis) but I do have some spare time to work on other projects. If you are interested in knowing more about me, you can take a look in my signature.

Is the site online ?
You can visit the site here it will be fully functional if the proposal gets approved, this is because there are services associated with making it fully operational that have a cost, which I don’t want to assume.

What am I offering ?
Maintenance, database backup and continuous improvement.

For how long will the funding be required ?
As long as the site is operational.

4.png
5.png

Last edited:
Honestly, 8 Dash/month is a bit expensive for what this is.

Thanks guys for your comments, I was looking forward for feedback on the amount of dash.

Just to be clear about on why I came to that amount, is because there is still a lot that can be done to improve the site. For instance, the app is running on Laravel 7 and it could be migrated to Laravel 10. Also, there could be a more modern approach to the architecture by using Vuejs 3 for the front-end which I'm an expert in. The CSS framework is also an old version. And so on... All these things require expertise, time and effort. The codebase definitely can also be improved.

These improvements would have a positive impact in things like:
  • UI / UX
  • security strengthening
  • speed of the site
Community features can also be added.

Also, this is not just copy pasting code and running it. There are many dependencies that need to be checked so that all the API's work properly. Any change on these dependencies can cause the App to brake and so it needs to be fixed, and to do so, there needs to be an understanding on how all the pieces work together.

In the long term I agree. But for some months I will vote "yes" because of the work already done.

How can this work ? Take into account that I don't know much about it. I'm okay on asking 8 Dash / month for a couple of months and then lowering it to certain amount for maintenance and costs purposes.

I would also like to know how much would be a proper amount to ask for (long-term) ? I'm flexible in this regard, the amount of work I would put in it, would be proportional.

I received an email from a user with this link to the Dash Patreon Alternative in the incubator. There is a kind of collision there... What do you guys think ? I'm also considering dropping this if it just doesn't fit properly into the Dash ecosystem.

Last edited:
First of all, there are two separating things. Hosting the site as it is, and developing it. You have to differentiate hosting from development, and cast separate budget proposals.

Secondly, how much something costs is relative to the cost of the other proposals that compete directly into the budget (or indirectly through Dash incubator). So look at how much money they asked in incubator for the development of their alternative (which, despite the money they already received, it seems abandoned since Feb 2022) and ask something similar for the already done job of yours (an one time payment). Or, alternatively, you may also ask the masternodes to vote the numbers about it, by giving them the option to vote for your reward within a specified compensation range (min-max).

Then, thirdly, you may ask a monthly amount for further development of your project, in case you think the dash community may need it and may be convinced that they need it.

Finnaly, you may also ask to become a manager in incubator in order to coordinate the (probably failed) patreon alternative there. Look at how much money the incubator guys have been paid until now for the whole incubator project (not only the patreon alternative), here ($1,152,765)

So you need at least three proposals, I suggest you to start from the first one (the hosting proposal).

Last edited:
Thanks @vazaki3 for your message, things are much clearer now (y)

By the way, when will it be a good time to create a proposal ?

Last edited:
Thanks @vazaki3 for your message, things are much clearer now (y)

By the way, when will it be a good time to create a proposal ?
https://mnowatch.org/proposal-generator/ says: "Warning:Less than seven days to the end of the voting period."

I think you have better create your proposal after the end of this voting period, because the Dash core team may absorve the remain money, in case their supplemental proposal passes.

https://mnowatch.org/leaderboard/ says: "Voting deadline is in 5.09 days and the next super block will be in 8.12 days."

So I think it is safer to create your proposal after 10 days.

Last edited:
Ok, so.. I will first create a proposal for the work already done. I will paste it here, to see what you guys think.

Proposal 1 - Tipmedash.com (work already done) - 50 Dash

Tipmedash.com
wasn't created with the intention of replacing Dash Patreon Alternative. To be honest, I hadn't even heard of that project when I first started developing the app. I simply had an idea that I thought was worthwhile pursuing.

Tipmedash.com is similar to Buymeacoffee.com or Cointr.ee which is quite a different value proposition than Patreon.com. The users are not submitted to a subscription, they can donate any amount whenever they feel like it. And this is why I think these two ideas don't collide in the Dash ecosystem.

In my pre-proposal some Dash members gave me constructive feedback, Vasaki3 suggested creating different proposals for different purposes:

1) Work already done
2) Hosting and maintenance
3) Farther development

To calculate the amount of Dash for the work already done I took Vasaki3 suggestion to calculate in reference to the costs proposals that compete directly into the budget, in this case being Dash Patreon Alternative.

But how did I come to the number ?

I took all existing tasks from the Dash Patreon Alternative in Trello with their respective payoff to have some sort of reference. I summed up the costs associated with tasks that were similar to the ones I developed and then multiplied by a complexity coefficient of 0.6.

The reason behind having a complexity coefficient is because Tipmedash.com is a simpler value proposition, so, in my opinion it wouldn't be fair to charge the same amount for each done task.

I have a document that has all the details in case it needs to be published or looked at by someone.

If this proposal gets approved, I will continue with the second proposal.

Hi, @Gass, thanks for your replies on DashCentral.
I want to followup with the functionality I was talking about, wherein a person who does not yet have an account with TipMeDash can still receive a message on social media informing them they've received a tip, and then they can click a link in the message to go and create an account / claim that tip.
The service I first encountered this feature on was ChangeTip. They long since let themselves be driven out of operation by high BTC transaction fees, but in case any of their documentation or source code is still around and helpful, I wanted to share the name with you.
Thanks.

I saw 10 NO votes come from Crowdnode, I am surprised by that. Overall, the proposal did not pass because I think it wasn't clear enough. I did ask the PO to make it a binary decision so he could determine if the MNOs prefer to pay for upkeep only, or upkeep AND additional development. The question posed was not that.

At this stage it might be better to work with the incubator since language appears to a barrier and they can work through that.

I saw 10 NO votes come from Crowdnode, I am surprised by that. Overall, the proposal did not pass because I think it wasn't clear enough. I did ask the PO to make it a binary decision so he could determine if the MNOs prefer to pay for upkeep only, or upkeep AND additional development. The question posed was not that.

At this stage it might be better to work with the incubator since language appears to a barrier and they can work through that.
What do you mean it did not pass ? I still don't understand how the proposals work. But I see here that there are 29 days left. Can someone explain ?

Oh yep, I see them too, that is surprising somewhat, but again the proposal was poorly worded, I would have expected abstains rather than actual NOs.
It is a shame, but this is what the MNOs have voted. For me this is a clear statement that Dash is rejecting innovation. It is rejecting projects with the potential to make the network grow. That alone is a major factor that indicates a downward spiral which I don't want to be part of.

It could have been a great endeavour for me and Dash, but we will never know.

Thanks to everyone who supported me.

I'm out ✌️

Back